The Student Room Group

History Norman conquest and Black dmDeath help

In my history essays I have been receiving low marks.It not that I do not know tje context it is purely down to the structure of my essay.Could anyone give me a rough outline on how to structure my essay??
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Are you writing on The norman conquest or the black death?

Anyway, my structure: Introduction: Explain what the essay is researching and why it's interesting + how it will progress.

Then a level of explaining the theme. If it's the Black Death it's simply where you explain what the black death was, when it happened and general stuff on the topic.

Then the more analytical part: What impact did the black death have on society in i.e economic or social terms? here you can include graphs or other primary sources to develop your argument.

Then a level of discussion where you discuss different theories on you angle on your theme. (i.e the social impact of the black death or perhaps plague regulations in 15th century Venice ). Here you should also test your own argument, presenting counterarguments.

Then at last- the conclusion. Sum up your main points and your argument. But most important- answer whatever angle or question your state in your introduction. Also make a clear and sound argument on the topic- this should also be present in the discussion, but here you simplify it into one or two sentences.

Anyway, that's how I do it... and it have worked pretty good for me :smile:

also: mention whatever litterature you're using a lot during the essay. Write stuff like " Mr. X states that bla bla bla, whilst Mrs. X disagrees and states that bla bla bla"- ish. This shows that you can mantain an overview of the topic and the literature on it.
Reply 2
Thankyou very much I see what sort of structure I am lacking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending