The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering, did anyone who got a 2:2 degree manage to get to the final AC stage? Are you an external or internal candidate?
Reply 501
Original post by novadragon849
Just wondering, did anyone who got a 2:2 degree manage to get to the final AC stage? Are you an external or internal candidate?

I did, and I am an external candidate. I also graduated in 1994 so don't know what you can read from that! :smile:
Original post by PJC14
I did, and I am an external candidate. I also graduated in 1994 so don't know what you can read from that! :smile:

SNAP - me too !
I am an external candidate, got a 2:2 (surprised but pleased that the scheme was open to those with 2:2s) through to AC and gratuated in 1994.
Original post by PJC14

Original post by rockinrobin
SNAP - me too !
I am an external candidate, got a 2:2 (surprised but pleased that the scheme was open to those with 2:2s) through to AC and gratuated in 1994.

Sorry guys I am not questioning your academic ability. Its just that my friend who has just graduated with a 2:2 from a top uni last year and got rejected at the initial stage and he blamed the fact that he got a 2:2 and that HMRC will just brush you off.

It might come down to work experience and extra activities outside but I'll show him this thread anyway to prove that HMRC does also look at 2:2 candidates if he wants to apply again next year.

Cheers
Sorry guys I am not questioning your academic ability. Its just that my friend who has just graduated with a 2:2 from a top uni last year and got rejected at the initial stage and he blamed the fact that he got a 2:2 and that HMRC will just brush you off.

It might come down to work experience and extra activities outside but I'll show him this thread anyway to prove that HMRC does also look at 2:2 candidates if he wants to apply again next year.

Cheers

Its all about meeting cut of scores really to get though to the AC, with online tests and then RAC tests
It seems a fair system up to that because they are passing you on that score alone

Cheers

They only look at your test results. Apart from degree class they know nothing else about you. Interesting way of assessing candidates and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Will know by May 11th! :wink:

NB: seems like they change process every year however - so he could have been right I suppose.
Reply 506
Original post by rockinrobin
SNAP - me too !

:biggrin: how did you feel the AC went? I wasn't (quite) the oldest in my group but when I checked in the receptionist asked if I was one of the assessors!
Reply 507

If they didn't want people with 2:2s they just wouldn't accept them. no point in them allowing 2:2 degrees in their criteria if they were going to brush them off. He will have not done as well as others on the initial tests - no shame in that though, as I guess most people must go out in that stage. Certainly no harm in him applying again next year - although it's possible he may not do much better if he blames other people for him not getting through rather than thinking about how he can improve...just a thought :smile:
Reply 508
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I have been popping on every so often to check out the latest news on TPDP - thanks to everyone who posts - I've found the info really helpful.

This is just a request to everyone still waiting to attend a centre - if you've changed your mind and don't want to attend - for whatever reason - then please please please let the recruitment team know. There's a bunch of us on the reserve list and we won't get called up unless there's cancellations. I have heard that people are confirming they'll attend, but then don't show up, and at that point it's too late to call on a reserve candidate. If you don't want the place, then please give it up for someone who does. Many thanks.

And the best of luck to everyone who's got through to this final stage. :smile:
Reply 509

Cheers

Just to add to your evidence novadragon, I too graduated with a 2:2 degree in 2002 and am an external candidate. I think in the past HMRC have not accepted anything less than a 2:1, but this year they have accepted any degree level.
Was there an interview this year?
Original post by original_username
Was there an interview this year?

no
Original post by pants 40
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I have been popping on every so often to check out the latest news on TPDP - thanks to everyone who posts - I've found the info really helpful.

This is just a request to everyone still waiting to attend a centre - if you've changed your mind and don't want to attend - for whatever reason - then please please please let the recruitment team know. There's a bunch of us on the reserve list and we won't get called up unless there's cancellations. I have heard that people are confirming they'll attend, but then don't show up, and at that point it's too late to call on a reserve candidate. If you don't want the place, then please give it up for someone who does. Many thanks.

And the best of luck to everyone who's got through to this final stage. :smile:

This is a really good point - at my assessment 3 people didn't turn up with no prior notification. We didn't have the required minimum which is 10, so a candidate from one of the other buildings had to be dragged over. That technically is 3 people on the reserve list who could have had an opportunity from the day I attended.

On a side note 11th May deadline is a killer! Have been successful on a different grad scheme which is great and I am sure I did awful for this one but would still like to be able to make an informed choice!

Good Luck to those who still have assessments coming up!
Original post by shellybean01
This is a really good point - at my assessment 3 people didn't turn up with no prior notification. We didn't have the required minimum which is 10, so a candidate from one of the other buildings had to be dragged over. That technically is 3 people on the reserve list who could have had an opportunity from the day I attended.

On a side note 11th May deadline is a killer! Have been successful on a different grad scheme which is great and I am sure I did awful for this one but would still like to be able to make an informed choice!

Have you contacted HMRC? See what they say if you tell them you have another offer with an expiry date. This 11th May BS is frustrating as hell. If candidates 'met the required standard' they should be told asap, not 3 months after. Or vice versa if they didn't meet the standard and definitely won't be hired they should be told and then the feedback can be provided in May.
Yep there is free parking I drove and had no issues... Good Luck!!

Original post by swish2k
Just wrt what a few people have said about location, I was under the impression from what our main assessor said and from other posts I've read I think, that everyone will be asked to list their order of location preference whether they have got through or not. I think this email will be sent in April, so I'm guessing at that point they won't have made 100% decisions on people, and maybe location choice may sway whether someone gets a job or not?? Or, like some others have suggested, it may be to give first choice to the people they are keenest to keep hold of, and for people who pass the grade, but not as highly, they get 2nd and 3rd dibs accordingly. Hmmmm, guess we will all have to keep guessing tho!

Just for anyone who has got their AC coming up, the facilities really are great and there is more than adequate free parking if you are thinking of driving. The only thing I would warn about driving though, is that because the day finishes around 4.30, you hit rush hour traffic immediately and it really is quite busy around there, so don't plan a particular time to get home!

Good luck to anyone who still has their AC to come!

Cool, I will drive down then, its much cheaper!

Also, I know few people have said they don't have utility bills and were thinking of taking bank statements.... any update, if that is acceptable? And also for the NI number, is your NI card fine as i don't have documents dated within 3 months?
Just to recap, to get to my present stage, I've got through:
1. A situational competancy sift;
2. A numerical reasoning test;
3. A verbal reasoning test;
4. A personality "test";
5. A logical reasoning test.

Today I received an e-mail informing me that I will be instructed to take a 45 minute "Analytical Skills Test" consisting of 3 parts:
- Part 1: 5 Questions;
- Part 2: 5 Questions;
- Part 3: 10 Questions.

Has anyone taken or does anyone know what kind of "Analytical Skills" they will be assessing? I am a disabled candidate and have only been informed that I will be invited to attend an AC at Warwick on 2 April (although I have not been told whether or not it is dependent on my performance in this, and the preceding test).

Nor have I heard specific mention of any RAC with referance to me?

I am wondering whether this so called "Analytical Skills Test" rings any bells with those who have been to an RAC - or even those who haven't?

Will be forever grateful to receive some enlightenment...

DM
Reply 516

Hey shellybean! Was your AC on the 21st of feb in Arden?
Original post by swish2k
Hey shellybean! Was your AC on the 21st of feb in Arden?

No mine was the 27th in Scarman
Reply 518
No mine was the 27th in Scarman

Ah right! Exactly the same happened to us on the 21st, so I thought maybe you were in our group! Seems like more people than we thought are letting the reserves down.
Reply 519
The same thing happened in mine on 20th also, one guy from our group in Radcliffe had to move to Scarman as three people didn't show up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending