The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felix1992
didnt even know you were ill :biggrin:

Really? I swear I mentioned it! I'd started to come down with a nasty cold the day before and had only 1-2hours of sleep so felt awful. I went into my interview with a mild fever and couldn't hear properly, haha! Maybe they felt sorry for me?!

Oh yeah- I went back in after to give them my clinical placement form because they didn't ask for it. Did they ask for yours? Seemed weird that they didn't.
Reply 1341
Original post by drewg
Conditional offer for City Uni. London!

congrats...how was ur interview as I got one this wednesday.....nervous...
Reply 1342
Has anyone got offers from city,herts,cantebury or st.george yet????
Reply 1343
hi,

waiting to hear from Canterbury
x
Reply 1344
Original post by TheDawn
Me,how did you find it?

it was ok not too bad.were u in morning session or the afternoon? have u heard anything from them yet?
Reply 1345
anyone got an interview at Bangor this Friday?
Reply 1346
Original post by Mel27x
Nooo im doing an access now at the min but only have gcses as well haha i am currently doing an access into nursing, health and social care and when i took this course i did get told i would be able to get onto a radiography course. Ive been looking into doing A levels, i have commitments and bills to pay for so i felt a years access course would be an easier option to do rather than 2 years with me been 21 i did go into the 19+ courses believing it would be the best for me.

i agree with most other people it must be your PS that has let you down. I have 2 GCSEs, no A levels and am currently studying on Access to Health Science and have managed to get an interview at all 5 of my choices. On my access course i would say over 3/4 of students are under 25, so i dont agree with the previous idea that its aimed at older people. seeing as a mature student is now anyone over the age of 19, it basically applies to anyone who didnt do A levels straight out of school.

i was only able to get one day work experience in an out patient x-ray dept, so have very little background knowledge to back up my case either.

Add in the fact im 40, the only thing i can use to my advantage is i have 20+ years working in customer facing roles, because on paper i have very little that shows i could hack the learning environment for 3yrs, or have the knowledge base to keep up either

I would just sit tight and waiting for clearing. Honestly, if it isnt meant to be this year, then keep trying, you have more time on your side than me lol

B
Reply 1347
Original post by berlingo
i agree with most other people it must be your PS that has let you down. I have 2 GCSEs, no A levels and am currently studying on Access to Health Science and have managed to get an interview at all 5 of my choices. On my access course i would say over 3/4 of students are under 25, so i dont agree with the previous idea that its aimed at older people. seeing as a mature student is now anyone over the age of 19, it basically applies to anyone who didnt do A levels straight out of school.

i was only able to get one day work experience in an out patient x-ray dept, so have very little background knowledge to back up my case either.

Add in the fact im 40, the only thing i can use to my advantage is i have 20+ years working in customer facing roles, because on paper i have very little that shows i could hack the learning environment for 3yrs, or have the knowledge base to keep up either

I would just sit tight and waiting for clearing. Honestly, if it isnt meant to be this year, then keep trying, you have more time on your side than me lol

B

Awhh thank you ever so much reading that has made me feel better you know. Its hard getting knocked bad and i do think my personal statement just hasnt stood out enough compared to others. I will wait for clearing and if not next year could be my year :smile: i want this so bad so ill just do what i can until then :smile: Well done on your interviews where have you applied? x
Reply 1348
Original post by ecokid
Yup - I was interviewed back In December and absolutely loved it (the facilities and staff were lovely), although it's by far the most difficult choice as my partner is going to be working in the South West. :frown: Did they explain the costs of accommodation when on placement away from Portsmouth e.g Basingstoke? I was suprised as i'm pretty sure other courses have included accommodation when on a placement away from the area.

i think the cost of accommodation on placement is worked the same at all Unis. You pay for it upfront, then have to claim it back through NHS. Some hospitals do have staff accommodation, but it still has to be paid for (although usually cheaper than private rent)

There a few people i am going to be at Uni with who are losing out financially on all sides because they have to live at home. They have to fund their 100+ mile commute to uni each day, but when they go on placement they wont get travelling costs either because the placements are nearer than the Uni (although harder to get to and more expensive). whereas students who live in halls will be paid for travel, car parking and a car-share bonus, because they are all further away than their normal commute

B
Reply 1349
i think the cost of accommodation on placement is worked the same at all Unis. You pay for it upfront, then have to claim it back through NHS. Some hospitals do have staff accommodation, but it still has to be paid for (although usually cheaper than private rent)

My uni paid for the accommodation for you. Students didn't have to pay anything upfront, and the uni claimed it back instead.
Reply 1350
Original post by FXX
My uni paid for the accommodation for you. Students didn't have to pay anything upfront, and the uni claimed it back instead.

that seems so much simpler, and easier from a finances point of view

however im going to commute to all my placements and claim mileage allowance. Its only a 200 mile round trip to the furthest one :eek: hopefully i can carshare and claim the additional 2p per mile lol

B
Reply 1351
that seems so much simpler, and easier from a finances point of view

however im going to commute to all my placements and claim mileage allowance. Its only a 200 mile round trip to the furthest one :eek: hopefully i can carshare and claim the additional 2p per mile lol

B

You're going to do a 100 mile commute to placement? You're a bit mad. Someone in our class did a 60 mile commute which meant getting up at 5am. She managed it, but if you're looking at doing double the distance, you are going to be a wreck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1352
Original post by FXX
You're going to do a 100 mile commute to placement? You're a bit mad. Someone in our class did a 60 mile commute which meant getting up at 5am. She managed it, but if you're looking at doing double the distance, you are going to be a wreck.

well thats the worst case scenario.

hopefully the computer says YES and i get picked out the hat early and get one of my local hospitals. I have 2 within half hour drive, then all the others are anywhere between 1 or 2 hours away.

i might stay away the odd night, but my kids think they see very little of me as it is, and ive been telling them things will be better when im at Uni as the hours are way less than what i am doing at present, what with work, college and assignments.

B
Reply 1353
Original post by janesies
hey kids has anyone heard from Salford yet i think a couple of you had interviews last month???? ive got an offer I wanna meet me potential classmates :biggrin: xxxxx

Hi, i have my interview for salford in a couple of days! and was wondering if you could tell me what your interview was like? and any tips? Any help will be much appreciated :biggrin: x
Original post by 94Sana
Hi, i have my interview for salford in a couple of days! and was wondering if you could tell me what your interview was like? and any tips? Any help will be much appreciated :biggrin: x

It was cool they give you a talk.. photocopy all ya certificates then there was like a small group task where ya had to discuss something as a group n ppl r watching you then was a 1 on 1 interview with a clinical tutor but was more of a chat nowt to be worried about

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK :smile: xxxxxx
Has anyone chosen Teesside as their firm choice for september? :smile: x
Original post by cicifire
I'm in the North East but still an hour and a half away up in Alnwick (RAF Boulmer), originally from Whitley Bay which isn't too far from there.

You'll probably get a flat dirt cheap in Middlesbrough. If you want any info on local area just let me know :wink:

Aww thank you, may have to take you up on that! Well it'd definitely have to be cheap, although I have no idea how much bursary I may get.. X
Has anyone got an interview for cardiff next week ? An if anyones already had a interview for cardiff whaat did they ask you?

Reply 1358
Is anyone here going to Cumbria?

It seems to be my only option at this point, but I keep hearing lots of negative opinions on the facilities. I imagine it wouldn't really matter for this course as it's approved by the NHS and Department of Health, and a lot of the time is spent in work placements.

Still though, I'm a little unsure on whether it's the right place or not.
Reply 1359
Original post by Rixy
Is anyone here going to Cumbria?

It seems to be my only option at this point, but I keep hearing lots of negative opinions on the facilities. I imagine it wouldn't really matter for this course as it's approved by the NHS and Department of Health, and a lot of the time is spent in work placements.

Still though, I'm a little unsure on whether it's the right place or not.

Hi, I have an interveiw on the 28th im hoping to get as its my only option, I applied at teeside and didnt get an interveiw. Have you had your interveiw at cumbria? i did a placement at wansbeck and there was the odd comment about cumbria, but there was 3 members of staff that had just qaulified from cumbria nd had jobs at wansbeck so it cant be bad. I asked them what they thought and they didnt have anything bad to say, just that it can be a little unorganised at times

Latest