The Student Room Group

What are you studying right now - A level historians?

Exam board:
Topic:

How are you finding it? Any exam results back for AS pupils?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

AQA, Modern Britain.

It's not too bad.
Reply 2
Exam board: OCR
Topic: Cold war, end of British Empire, Indian independence etc

I'm finding it really good, I never did history at GCSE so I thought it was going to be really difficult for me but it's actually my best subject!
I got my first AS results last Thursday and I got an A 93/100 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MathematicsKiller
AQA, Modern Britain.

It's not too bad.

Ah! Is that like the politics modules and stuff? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by L.O.V.E
Topic: Cold war, end of British Empire, Indian independence etc

I'm finding it really good, I never did history at GCSE so I thought it was going to be really difficult for me but it's actually my best subject!
I got my first AS results last Thursday and I got an A 93/100 :smile:

Oo, the latter two appeal to me!

Jesus. Congratulations on fantastic results, well done! :clap2: Bet your chuft bags, :wink: I would be.
Reply 5
Exam Board: Edexcel
Topics: Mass Media and Populr culture in Britain since 1945, Making of Modern Russia- 1856-1964, USA: Boom, Bust and Recovery.

Awful. I don't have a teacher and Im swamped with work.And my grades suck. And I need help and I dont know where to look for it. :/ Im sorta desperate, I love the the subject by I got screwed over in school. So Im struggling....! *sigh* :s-smilie:

@L.O.V.E: Congratulations! Thats is AMAZING! :biggrin:
Edexcel.
British Chartism in the 19th Century.

Got a B (76/100) in the January exam (Medieval England, Scotland etc.)
Not going to resit as it would be better to focus on unit 2 only.

What did you get?
Reply 7
Ireland 1775-1800. It's ****
Reply 8
Cold War from start to finish really, with Edexcel. Finished the topics a few weeks ago and going through questions and revision now. Our teacher tries to make us challenge questions to such a crazy depth, it's great in a lot of ways, but means I'm not quite understanding the exam technique for when it actually comes to it and I don't have 3 hours to think about how the Soviet economy, Ronald Reagan's rapproachment and aggressive foreign policy AND Mikhail Gorbachev all work into each other and make the question fairly impossible to answer! Pahhhhhhhh.
Reply 9
Original post by onesoulfortwo

How are you finding it?
Thanks!

Topic: Nazi Germany (coursework) and Britain and Ireland (Anglo-Irish relations)

A LOT of work, but well worth it :smile: I sometimes struggle to write with synthesis whilst comparing/ contrasting/ ranking events, but I love studying the events themselves, and linking up all of the different cause and effects! It's great when you get to this part of the year and can just put the whole picture together.

Original post by Planar
Ireland 1775-1800. It's ****

haha. Tell me about it, I'm doing Ireland c. 1775 (but more like 1798) - 1921, ending with the Anglo-Irish Treaty. There's a lot to learn, and the Irish economy is complicated! :eek: I only thing I really understand is Constitutional vs. Revolutionary Nationalism...

Do you study "themes" as well? Or is your exam more like a depth study?

E.g., we study, "Irish Economy", "British policies on Ireland", "Nationalism", and "Support for the Union" but throughout the years 1775-1921.
OCR - European Reformation and the Mid Tudor Crises
absolutely hate it and want to drop it!
Reply 11
Original post by onesoulfortwo
Oo, the latter two appeal to me!

Jesus. Congratulations on fantastic results, well done! :clap2: Bet your chuft bags, :wink: I would be.

Thanks, it was my best AS grade so I was pretty thrilled! History is great if you find the topics you study quite interesting.

Original post by Kiweefruit
Topics: Mass Media and Populr culture in Britain since 1945, Making of Modern Russia- 1856-1964, USA: Boom, Bust and Recovery.

Awful. I don't have a teacher and Im swamped with work.And my grades suck. And I need help and I dont know where to look for it. :/ Im sorta desperate, I love the the subject by I got screwed over in school. So Im struggling....! *sigh* :s-smilie:

@L.O.V.E: Congratulations! Thats is AMAZING! :biggrin:

Can you complain to someone about the lack of a good teacher? Grades have a lot to do with the teacher so they really should sort it out, a great teacher makes such a difference!
I also do law AS and we missed loads of lessons because one teacher was away for most of her classes. We never got a replacement and it was clearly an issue with teaching when lots of the class came out with U or E grades.
Original post by Kiweefruit
USA: Boom, Bust and Recovery.

Mr. Belich and the stape trade theory?
Reply 13
Edexcel A2: Currently doing German Unification in the coursework module and war and international relations 1879-1941 in unit 4.

Currently on 191/200 at AS and loving both courses overall.
Reply 14
OCR A2: Studying Debates about the holocaust for the exam and american slavery for my coursework ... coursework's at a B grade, but i'm bricking it for the exam!Don't feel like I understand it enough!

Doesn't help that I hate modern history -_-
Reply 15
AQA Unit 3: From Triumph to Collapse: Russia and the USSR, 1941-1991

Unit 4 (coursework question): The Cromwellian experiment and how much it influenced the constitutional monarchy of later Stuart monarchs.

Naturally, the Russia unit is fascinating. The Cromwell one is horrible and boring. Can't wait until I get the coursework out the way- then I can just focus on Russia unit.
Reply 16
Edexcel: Tudor history
Dictatorship & Democracy in German, 1933-61
Domestic Britain 1918-51
Both OCR

Britain is going well, but I'm bricking it about Germany. :afraid:
Im a access student so its level 3 still. Im studying the trans atlantic slave trade, ive got a 2500 word essay coming up which im feeling fairly confident about because i feel its my strong point. The past moduels ive done is 'Understanding History' , 'Medieval Britain/ Angevin Empire' got distinctions in both of them and Age of discovery/ Renaissance' which was 50% exam 50% presentation which im still awaiting on the results, but im happy with a merit with that because im no good at public speaking :-/
EDEXCEL
International Relations (Cold War) & Irish Coursework

AS Unit 1: 96/100 (Stalin's Russia & US Presidency)
AS Unit 2: 70/100 (Britain) :frown:

Congrats Seanm1994. 191/120 is insane.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending