The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Royal Holloway

I have an unconditional offer from both of these institutions, but I'm not sure which one I should go for. The course is geography. However, Glasgow is a BA course, whilst RH accepted me for the BSc course. Both of these institutions are highly-rated for geography, but would taking the BA course place me at a distinct disadvantage?

Ideally, I'd like to hear from people at these universities, but any advice would help.

Thank you.
(edited 12 years ago)
There's almost no difference between BA and BSC in terms of employment - go for the place that you'll be happy in!
Reply 2
Original post by Infallible
I have an unconditional offer from both of these institutions, but I'm not sure which one I should go for. The course is geography. However, Glasgow is a BA course, whilst RH accepted me for the BSc course. Both of these institutions are highly-rated for geography, but would taking the BA course place me at a distinct disadvantage?

Ideally, I'd like to hear from people at these universities, but any advice would help.

Thank you.

I would say Glasgow since most people I know who took Arts courses at RHUL disliked the University, and had a lot of criticisms of it. (Poor support, facilities, etc.) Glasgow is a great Uni and people seem to love it.
Reply 3
Original post by Craghyrax
I would say Glasgow since most people I know who took Arts courses at RHUL disliked the University, and had a lot of criticisms of it. (Poor support, facilities, etc.) Glasgow is a great Uni and people seem to love it.

RH isn't the 'arts' course, it's the science one.
Reply 4
Original post by Infallible
RH isn't the 'arts' course, it's the science one.

No matter what prefix the degree has, if you're doing a general Geography course then it will include both physical and human Geography. Physical Geography is a science, whereas human Geography is a social science. Therefore 50% of your course is basically an Arts.

I don't really care to argue with you though. You can take my view or leave it.

Quick Reply