The Student Room Group

IGCSE

Hi guys, I know this may sound really stupid but I was wondering what is the IGCSE and what is the difference compared to the normal GCSE.

If someone could explain that would be great.

Thanks again :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

iGCSE it for international students
Reply 2
Well, I'm currently doing IGCSEs and that seems to be the main difference. However another benefit is that there is no coursework involved at all, just a set of exams taken in May/June.
Reply 3
Original post by ak2109
Well, I'm currently doing IGCSEs and that seems to be the main difference. However another benefit is that there is no coursework involved at all, just a set of exams taken in May/June.

Are you doing IGCSE Literature and Language? If so, any tips? :colondollar: Thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ak2109

There is coursework pending on subjects chosen.
In my opinion doing an IGCSE prepares you for your a level subjects... I found that the subjects I did IGCSE in and continued for a level were much easier and smaller jump, compared to the ones where I just did the standard GCSE...
Reply 6
Original post by hslakaal
There is coursework pending on subjects chosen.

Well there doesn't seem to be on the subjects my friends and I have taken. I am taking: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History. < All Edexcel. Spanish, French and English Literature and Language. < All CIE.

Seems to be no coursework there.

To the OP, IGCSE seems to be beneficial and is in fact easier in all subjects. That is the general view of children in our school.

Original post by chaza01
Are you doing IGCSE Literature and Language? If so, any tips? :colondollar: Thanks :smile:

Depends really, which exam board are you doing for IGCSE English?
Reply 7
Original post by ak2109
Well there doesn't seem to be on the subjects my friends and I have taken. I am taking: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History. < All Edexcel. Spanish, French and English Literature and Language. < All CIE.

To the OP, IGCSE seems to be beneficial and is in fact easier in all subjects. That is the general view of children in our school.

CIE :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ak2109

Please :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ak2109

For subjects like art, its ompulsory i believe. For subjects like computer studies and history, you damn choose to do a coursework or an extra paper. Lucky for you, the syllabus updated after I finished my igcse exams. I had to do coursework for lit and lang, but now there isn't even am option for it. Then again, coursework usually gives better grades...
Reply 10
For subjects like art, its ompulsory i believe. For subjects like computer studies and history, you damn choose to do a coursework or an extra paper. Lucky for you, the syllabus updated after I finished my igcse exams. I had to do coursework for lit and lang, but now there isn't even am option for it. Then again, coursework usually gives better grades...

For art, I believe there is but I don't think they do it as an IGCSE in our school. Oh, we don't do any coursework for History and our school doesn't do computer studies. However coursework doesn't effectively, as one of my teachers was explaining that they keep giving you advice until you get 100% on your coursework (all teachers across the country do) and then it comes down to the exam. Therefore it was concluded that this would be more appropriate because either way you have your mark compared with others based upon your exam so it would be easier to do multiple exams and save time on coursework.

In essence, I believe that I would in fact prefer it...it seems more reasonable and the logic is there too. Also since we found it easier, there is no harm in doing it. I know some people find it more demanding but a language for example will be much easier listening wise for example.
Reply 11
Original post by chaza01
CIE :smile:

Which set texts are you studying? Shakespeare wise, prose and anthology?
Reply 12
It is up to the individual school whether they do coursework or not. With CIE there is an option to take another exam in place of coursework (paper 6). For art you do not have to do coursework, but if your school decides not to you have to take 2 practical exams of 8 hours each.
For English as it is international, Shakespeare is not compulsory, my school is doing Fasting,Feasting, The great Gatsby, Death of a salesman, and selected poems .
Reply 13
Original post by ak2109

Gatsby, Julius Caesar and Songs of Ourselves :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ak2109
For art, I believe there is but I don't think they do it as an IGCSE in our school. Oh, we don't do any coursework for History and our school doesn't do computer studies. However coursework doesn't effectively, as one of my teachers was explaining that they keep giving you advice until you get 100% on your coursework (all teachers across the country do) and then it comes down to the exam. Therefore it was concluded that this would be more appropriate because either way you have your mark compared with others based upon your exam so it would be easier to do multiple exams and save time on coursework.

In essence, I believe that I would in fact prefer it...it seems more reasonable and the logic is there too. Also since we found it easier, there is no harm in doing it. I know some people find it more demanding but a language for example will be much easier listening wise for example.

Please rephrase/check what you wrote. Lost it from the underlined part onward.

But do note that as someone who's done with IGCSEs, I really don't care on how you guys feel, just that I saw your original comment, and wanted to explain that there is coursework. Have fun in your exams. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ak2109

Gatsby, Julius Caesar and Songs of Ourselves
Reply 16
Original post by desy.kris
and people say IGCSE is a bit easier than GCSE

Your crazy...IGCSE has some A level content in it. IGCSE are harder than GCSE's...hence why a lot of private schools are choosing to switch to it. I myself did IGCSE's...they were a mission!! But well worth while!
Reply 17
Please rephrase/check what you wrote. Lost it from the underlined part onward.

But do note that as someone who's done with IGCSEs, I really don't care on how you guys feel, just that I saw your original comment, and wanted to explain that there is coursework. Have fun in your exams. :smile:

I wrote that in a hurry :P
Reply 18
Original post by ibs007
Your crazy...IGCSE has some A level content in it. IGCSE are harder than GCSE's...hence why a lot of private schools are choosing to switch to it. I myself did IGCSE's...they were a mission!! But well worth while!

any tips for english lit?
Reply 19
Original post by chaza01
any tips for english lit?

Lol..I got a B in english Lit at IGCSE..hated it..:P

Got highest in the Country for IGCSE English Language though..dno how I managed that..:biggrin:..best thing for IGCSE's is to stay on top of the work and revise consistently!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest