The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameelia22
Congrats :smile:
Ah well, best to get straight onto tbh! Aim to get GP first (I consider this to be the easiest? may be i'm wrong though, because i havent got any, and have no time to squeeze it in! :tongue:) but long term volunteering placements are always valuable.

I know the feeling, but hey, lets go do this awesome gap year abroad after we've wowed the admissions with our re-applicant profiles, and attended all necessary interviews 8-)

I found GPs the hardest to get *tried and failed*. It's hit and miss really, some have great luck and some have none
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
I found GPs the hardest to get *tried and failed*. It's hit and miss really, some have great luck and some have none

It's that more then anything thats about contacts in my experience. Is anyone a GP in my fam? Nope (and being brown, the fam is quite extensive :')) Are any of my friends parents GP's? (Going to an all girls grammar school, you'd think they would be but...) No - they're all filthy rich consultants. Do I know anyone who's a GP? My Moms friends son's tutor's boss' husband is one - and he said he'd be happy for me to any time. (This all came in too late, and by that time, i'd gone all out on hospitals!)

It's a shame, because GP's are the ones with all the power all of a sudden D:
Oh dear, my warning points have started popping up 8) guess all that swearing without asterix's came back to kick me in the ****ing ass
It's that more then anything thats about contacts in my experience. Is anyone a GP in my fam? Nope (and being brown, the fam is quite extensive :')) Are any of my friends parents GP's? (Going to an all girls grammar school, you'd think they would be but...) No - they're all filthy rich consultants. Do I know anyone who's a GP? My Moms friends son's tutor's boss' husband is one - and he said he'd be happy for me to any time. (This all came in too late, and by that time, i'd gone all out on hospitals!)

It's a shame, because GP's are the ones with all the power all of a sudden D:

Sounds like you've got a lot of contacts! My contacts are all like 'my brother's girlfriend's brother's wife's boss' or 'my mum's friend's boyfriend's boss'. :tongue: But all of them work in the hospital in some form or another

Eh. It doesn't really matter for your personal statement, it's what you learn from it. Where you actually do your work experience doesn't really have much affect on your overall career, it's the stuff you gain on/after your actual degree that does :wink:
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Sounds like you've got a lot of contacts! My contacts are all like 'my brother's girlfriend's brother's wife's boss' or 'my mum's friend's boyfriend's boss'. :tongue: But all of them work in the hospital in some form or another

Eh. It doesn't really matter for your personal statement, it's what you learn from it. Where you actually do your work experience doesn't really have much affect on your overall career, it's the stuff you gain on/after your actual degree that does :wink:

LOL tell me about it.

Well, thats all very well and dandy but still a lovely little talking point at interview to link with NHS reforms.

Not gonna lie though, becoming a GP.. *heaves* - hospital doctor all the way!
Reply 1566
Original post by TaraBelle
ah really? Sounds perfect for me though- I love quiet places :') booked my open day for it the other day, so excited haha :biggrin: I know I'm the same, when people ask me which one's my favourite I'm just like, any medical school that will take me is my favourite :tongue:

7 school weeks left till exams! :eek:

eeekkkk it's even more scary if you count it in weeks! :s-smilie: :frown: and ooohhh leicester would be so good for you then! :biggrin: i need to start looking for open days for uni.. we are having a speaker from oxford tomorrow talking about applying to competitive universities.. should be interesting :smile: +oohh btw, i've added you as ma friend for tsr.. if that's okay? :tongue:

Original post by Natalie21
Thank you :biggrin:
Oh gosh - oh well we have all of Easter to revise :biggrin:

Still! I am mortified in the thought of examsss eeekkk i think i will revise hardcore for most of easter except for 3 days when i'm going to give my brain a rest haha is your first exam biology? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1567
Hey, I was just wondering can you apply while you are in uni, for medicine as in A100? you can't, can you? Because I heard my friend's friend is currently studying in one uni (as in she just started last september) for pharmacy and she is currently applying to do pharmacy in another uni even though she is already at uni? And apprently you can do that and I was thinking .... surely not? Or am I wrong? slightly confused here haha :confused:
Off to florence in 7 hours! :woo:
Does punctuality go on your UCAS referee statement? Bristol says that anyone with any adverse comments in their reference dont get considered :s-smilie:. Im asking because I have VERY high number of lates. :redface:
Still nothing from my volunteering lady, is looking to be a dead end and I was never given a phone contact so my only option is to email. Great.

Onto brighter news though, I get to pitch my case to do four A2 and EPQ next year to head of sixth next week. I don't think it'll be successful but he's agreed to talk to me which is a start :smile:

Good day for the rest of you???
Got my first volunteering placement sorted ... and its in a hospital!
I'm so happy right now, its so ideal too considering the hospital is a 15 minute walk from my college.

Can I ask, how many of you have experience shadowing a doctor? I think thats going to be a toughy for me, but we had someone from Manchester uni come to our sixth form to talk about medicine and she said they arent really dead set on you getting shadowing and much prefer volunteer work - is that the same for most uni's?

Oh and also, do any (and if so which?) universities mind if you resit modules?

thanks for any answers!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IAmMclovin
Does punctuality go on your UCAS referee statement? Bristol says that anyone with any adverse comments in their reference dont get considered :s-smilie:. Im asking because I have VERY high number of lates. :redface:

I would also like to know the answer to this! I clocked up a total of 38 lates in 1 term! and when it hit 82% attendance...**** hit the fan.

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Still nothing from my volunteering lady, is looking to be a dead end and I was never given a phone contact so my only option is to email. Great.

Onto brighter news though, I get to pitch my case to do four A2 and EPQ next year to head of sixth next week. I don't think it'll be successful but he's agreed to talk to me which is a start :smile:

Good day for the rest of you???

Do you know the address of the place? Do they have a website with a contact number? If you can go down there and talk to them in person!

OOh, which a2's you doin'? Lot of work to take on, but hey sounds good! (Potential Barts applicant do I see?)

Original post by Mocking_bird
I'm so happy right now, its so ideal too considering the hospital is a 15 minute walk from my college.

Can I ask, how many of you have experience shadowing a doctor? I think thats going to be a toughy for me, but we had someone from Manchester uni come to our sixth form to talk about medicine and she said they arent really dead set on you getting shadowing and much prefer volunteer work - is that the same for most uni's?

thanks for any answers!

WOO! Nice one! What are you volunteering doing exactly?
I've got a fair bit planned in the summer. I think that Universities generally make a point of saying that they do sympathise with those that aren't able to get hospital work experience - the fact that you've got some experience in a hospital environment already is fantastic. The point is, show a fair bit of reflection, ask to help out on ward rounds and other such things if/when you can - the point is, you've got ya foot in the door! Get NETWORKING WOMAN. Plus all the usual lar-dee-dar about how you put it in your PS which of course, you already know.

From what I can understand, officially not many universities do mind, but who knows what an admissions tutor thinks of your application, depending on what he sees and how he's feeling. For all you know, he might see the resits, bin the application, and you would never know that was the reason. So to be on the safe side, keep it to a minimal, but it seems understandable if you do. See the previous thread for my post summarising exactly which modules the universities will know if you resit and how.
Reply 1573

thanks for any answers!

hello. It gets annoying answering the same questions on this thread if I'm honest, but hey, one more time eh?

umm, I was lucky enough to shadow a doctor in cardiology when I was in year 11, you know those school work experience things schools have a scheme for, where you do it for a week or so... That was great fun, but I didn't really realise the importance of jotting things down back then.

Unis are bound to vary in opinion on it, but a teacher tells me that they know it's difficult to get these placements. Just get as much contact as you can, that's all you can do. Learn lots, and express it well in your personal statement. Volunteering is great too, and perhaps tells them more about you as a person.

About resits. Med schools vary. Cambridge does not look kindly towards resits, and you have to put down your individual UMS scores for each module, resits an all. UCL explicitly state they don't like resits. The other med schools seem to not mind, as long as it's within the 2 years. Some only allow resits in the AS year.

so the advice there would be to check individual uni requirements, there's probably a tsr wiki with this information on because this question is asked so many times.
Reply 1574

I would also like to know the answer to this! I clocked up a total of 38 lates in 1 term! and when it hit 82% attendance...**** hit the fan.

attendance goes on your reference. I don't actually know about punctuality (how many/proportion of lates)

Yup Attendance and lates are supplied with the reference

Do you know the address of the place? Do they have a website with a contact number? If you can go down there and talk to them in person!

OOh, which a2's you doin'? Lot of work to take on, but hey sounds good! (Potential Barts applicant do I see?)

I'm trying to find the phone number online, if I wasn't working this weekend I would go down but unfortunately it is not to be!! *sigh*

Biology, chemistry, physics and French :smile: And maybe, I'm still looking into which London one I want to apply to...
Original post by Orinincandenza
Yup Attendance and lates are supplied with the reference

That sucks. My attendance is like 99% (I missed a grand total of one day when I nearly poked my eye out last week) but my bus is so often late that my lates percentage is about 25% :/ S'not even my fault! The bus company is just rubbish and nobody even questions the lates of students on that bus route!

EDIT: Oh, no apparently it's 97%, (97% first 1/2 term, 99% next, 97% last and 95% this time), how this is true having missed literally 2 lessons last week is beyond me...methinks tutors have been failing to actually take register!
(edited 12 years ago)
x

Its with WRVS and the description said it was helping the elderly in hospitals by providing trolleys with drinks and food and just generally chatting with them and all that!
Are you universities looking for any kind of volunteering or does it need to be more involved? I'm still a little unsure on whats expected even after looking around at all the articles on here :laugh:
Hopefully i'll be able to, like you said, network some once i'm in there - but as its not directly the hospital who i'm volunteering for.. i'm not sure, we'll see :smile:

I'm still a little on the edge about retaking as it i did manage to get 4A's but its just some of the UMS which is bothering me as I would have preferred to get 90+ - any advice on what you think I should do? The ones I was thinking of resitting were aqa biology unit 1 (88/100) and maths c1 (85/100).. i just cant decide if its worth it.

Original post by Pride
x

I'm sure it does but theres no harm in helping! :smile:

Thanks for your reply anyway, I have had a look at the majority of articles but I just mainly need clarification to get it all straight in my head. :laugh:
Reply 1579

I'm still a little on the edge about retaking as it i did manage to get 4A's but its just some of the UMS which is bothering me as I would have preferred to get 90+ - any advice on what you think I should do? The ones I was thinking of resitting were aqa biology unit 1 (88/100) and maths c1 (85/100).. i just cant decide if its worth it.

don't retake them.

Latest

Trending

Trending