The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter joining Russell Group

"We're delighted to announce that we have accepted an invitation to join the Russell Group of leading research-led UK universities." -Twitter

Is this the best news yet? I'm so excited! :biggrin:
Why would you be excited about a university joining an industry pressure group? It has no implications whatever for the quality of the education provided, and will make no difference to the cost.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
Why would you be excited about a university joining an industry pressure group? It has no implications whatever for the quality of the education provided, and will make no difference to the cost.

Yeah, yeah we know all that... sounds good though!

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by finalmega173
"We're delighted to announce that we have accepted an invitation to join the Russell Group of leading research-led UK universities." -Twitter

Is this the best news yet? I'm so excited! :biggrin:

I know it's great isn't it? Never knew that was on the cards.

Reply 4
Original post by catoswyn
I know it's great isn't it? Never knew that was on the cards.

Yep that's what I thought. I mean, I know it doesn't really make a difference but it really does sound great! And It's pretty surprising too! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke

...Except for the fact that being part of the Russell Group does have a strong effect upon the public perception of a university. Which in turn brings in a higher standard of student and more applications.
Original post by ajp100688
...Except for the fact that being part of the Russell Group does have a strong effect upon the public perception of a university.

Only among the uninitiated and gullible.
Reply 7
Was delighted when I received this news! No doubt it doesn't affect me personally in terms of teaching quality, experience etc but I'm just glad Exeter is up there with the other top research-intensive universities!
Reply 8
Umm, are you guys aware that Exeter was already a member of a group that had 12 of the top 20 universities. Along with the other three universities, also members of the 1994 group, the Russel Group will now have that same proportion of top unis. Ergo, this means nothing.

Sometimes I wonder at the intelligence some of the students here. A few months ago, in halls, I was speaking to a law student who genuinely thought that books were an invention in the twentieth century. He assumed that before then, people wrote on stone, or perhaps wood. With people like that, I really don't think we deserve to be Russel Group.
Original post by SimpVeggie
Umm, are you guys aware that Exeter was already a member of a group that had 12 of the top 20 universities. Along with the other three universities, also members of the 1994 group, the Russel Group will now have that same proportion of top unis. Ergo, this means nothing.

What? Exeter have moved from the group with Loughborough in it to the group with Oxford and Cambridge in it. That will have an effect (positive or negative depends on how you look at it) on the University in terms of funding, staffing, resources etc and crucially esteem. Most of that won't bleed through until after 2012 entrants have left. But this is an important moment and positive for Exeter in many ways. It is not meaningless.

Edit: just a thought - find someone from abroad (who's not too familiar with the UK). Ask them to name a famous British university. Then ask them to pronounce "Loughborough".
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest