The Student Room Group

time travel

I am in deep regret over one day, trivial as it sounds, I need to go back

Will time travel ever exist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I don't think it ever will, but you never know it might.
i wonder if we will ever be able to travel back to our memories...surely some crazies would want to spend money on the idea.....
Reply 3
maybe but you do need something that is faster than light which scientists have nearly found
IF you could create a wormhole (a sort of link between two points in space and time) you could only create it with a point in the future. Basically, if you can't travel to a time before you could travel in time. There is also the idea of travelling at relativistic speeds which would slow your view of time down relative to a person in our time frame (e.g. what might take us 10 years could take someone in a relativistic rocket 1) so you could 'travel' into the future but you couldn't come back.

Both these things are purely theoretical and extremely unlikely to ever be a possibility.

To summarise: no, you can't travel through time except at the rate of one second per second.
But someone will try to kill their grandfather to check if the paradox actually works :frown:
Original post by Superstar6318
I am in deep regret over one day, trivial as it sounds, I need to go back

Will time travel ever exist?

I believe you can travel forwards in time, in a sense.

If you took a space shuttle and travelled at close to the speed of light for 80 years, and then returned to Earth, you would be in the distant future (as in, the year 3000, not the year 2172). Wikipedia told me :smile: but I saw where it was coming from, it's about relativity and time dilation.
Surely if we could travel in time someone would have travelled back to us? This kind of thing really messes with my head.
I am working on it , would appreciate ppl not anticipating too much , i am already under pressure. Give me 5 more years
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Surely if we could travel in time someone would have travelled back to us? This kind of thing really messes with my head.

Yes but we are the present :confused: right?
Original post by The Unique Bloke
Yes but we are the present :confused: right?

Oh yeah! See :tongue: I can't cope with this!
Original post by Junaid96

If you took a space shuttle and travelled at close to the speed of light for 80 years, and then returned to Earth, you would be in the distant future (as in, the year 3000, not the year 2172). Wikipedia told me :smile: but I saw where it was coming from, it's about relativity and time dilation.

Actually, this is quite incorrect! If you took a space shuttle, and flew out into space for just 40 years (travelling very close to the speed of light), close to 59'000 years would have passed on Earth! This is because the faster you travel, the slower time travels (relative to you). Wikipedia can be unreliable sometimes :smile: Very interesting stuff though! :smile:

maybe when it gets invented they create laws and regulations about not going back and messing with us ancient civilizations :P
Reply 13

Time travel is possible. To the future that is.

Little known fact.
Busted have been to the future and apparently it's not that exciting. The people live underwater. And I think my great-great-great-grand daughter is doing fine as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Actually, this is quite incorrect! If you took a space shuttle, and flew out into space for just 40 years (travelling very close to the speed of light), close to 59'000 years would have passed on Earth! This is because the faster you travel, the slower time travels (relative to you). Wikipedia can be unreliable sometimes :smile: Very interesting stuff though! :smile:

Didn't he say that more time would have passed on earth? He's not wrong.

If you accelerate away from the earth and return, you are younger than your twin.
Reply 15
Original post by Junaid96

Little problem that you will need vast amounts of energy as the closer you approach the speed of light, the greater the mass - therefore for your space shuttle, on current theories you will require more energy than the Sun outputs in its entire existence to get it up to 90% the speed of light.

Also Wikipedia probably won't be around then to correct.
Original post by CharlieBoardman

So it wasn't incorrect? How close you were to the speed of light would have a huge impact on the time in years, so both 3000 and 59000 could be possible :smile:

Yes - I also believe this to be true.

Time travel is actually an impossibility. For time travel to be possible, we would need to find a way to travel at or faster than the speed of light. The goal we would be trying to achieve would to catch up to or 'take over' the beam of light in essence. However, this is impossible. Just for an example, however absurd it sounds, just imagine this: you put a torch on the ground. You switch the torch on, such that a beam of light fires out of the torch. Now, just imagine that we figured out a way to run at the speed of light. So, you would imagine than we are running along side the beam of light yes? Well actually, we wouldn't be. We would be moving close to 300'000'000 m/s (speed of light) relative to the Earth, but, the thing is with light is that it is a constant. Even though we would be running at the speed of light, light would be moving at 300'000'000 m/s relative to us. So it is still moving away from us at 300'000'00 m/s. So we could never catch up to it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hopefully somebody from the future will give a comprehensive breakdown on what and what not to do when time travel comes about.
Original post by Fires
Little problem that you will need vast amounts of energy as the closer you approach the speed of light, the greater the mass - therefore for your space shuttle, on current theories you will require more energy than the Sun outputs in its entire existence to get it up to 90% the speed of light.

Also Wikipedia probably won't be around then to correct.

Doesn't matter, it's a theory. You won't need that much energy to get to 80%, surely it would be possible with high output fission engines or something?

Quick Reply

Latest