The Student Room Group

Audi A1 or MINI Cooper

Would you rather have an Audi A1 1.4 .. or the Mini Cooper?
These are probably one of my dream first cars once I start having a real job (5 years time) aha
Reply 1
personally i like the Audi A1 perfect German engineering :colone:
that being said i wouldnt turn my nose up at a mini either, although i preferre the old school one :biggrin:
Reply 2
A1. I just love the whole Audi image.
Reply 3
Neither.

Whilst I have owned a cooper S for a bit, I wasn't that impressed.
Mini's are the typical middle class British woman car. If you want to be seen girly, that's fine by me, get the Mini. Otherwise get the A1.

That said I wouldn't buy either.
A1 but given the choice to have something else I wouldn't have either.
Reply 6
Both too small!
Reply 7
Original post by cl_steele
personally i like the Audi A1 perfect German engineering :colone:
that being said i wouldnt turn my nose up at a mini either, although i preferre the old school one :biggrin:

'BMW Mini'
my mate has an A1, looks the business. You can watch DVD's on the satnav.
A3 FTW. Got one myself, in love with it. A1 is too small but would go for that above Mini. See too many Mini's around and it is too much of a girly or student type of car. Get something a cut above.
Reply 10
Original post by Kevmeister
'BMW Mini'

theyre still made in england ...
theyre still made in england ...

They're German. Engineered in Germany, engines from France/Germany. About as far removed from being an English commodity as it can get.
A1 isn't made in Germany either.

I'd get the Mini. If you get a mini, maybe you just wanted a Mini, if get an A1 its because you could afford an A3.
Reply 13
BMW 1 series coupe if you have to get something new, small and German (and before you say, yes, Mini is German now). But the last generation one. New one looks hideous.

Or just do what everyone else is saying and get something bigger. If you're going to spend that much on a new small car, you could spend the same on a nearly new, bigger car. Like an A3 or 3 series.
Reply 14
Those are you dream first cars?
A1, but it's a bit like asking would you like to pay a lot of money for this tiny cardboard ****heap or one with less of a hairdressers appeal?

Don't know why people buy these tiny cars from new, surely the idea of these tiny cars is to get from a-b as cheaply as possible, utilitarian style. Then any old car will do?
Get something bigger and better I would for sure.
Reply 15
Original post by Kevmeister
They're German. Engineered in Germany, engines from France/Germany. About as far removed from being an English commodity as it can get.

well it really depends which model youre talking about here, some of them have the vast majority of their components manufactured in england at oxford, swindon, the hams plant whilst things like the countryman are assembled in Austria.* as such as this article says it would be completely unfair to call them German as a serious amount of work on them is conducted in Britain. Same goes for marques like Rolls Royce many would call that British when it is quite German in production and design.

http://www.autoservnewport.com/motor-sport-u-s-blog-archive-are-rolls-royce-and-bentley-cars-german-cars-or-just-german-owned/
well it really depends which model youre talking about here, some of them have the vast majority of their components manufactured in england at oxford, swindon, the hams plant whilst things like the countryman are assembled in Austria.* as such as this article says it would be completely unfair to call them German as a serious amount of work on them is conducted in Britain. Same goes for marques like Rolls Royce many would call that British when it is quite German in production and design.

http://www.autoservnewport.com/motor-sport-u-s-blog-archive-are-rolls-royce-and-bentley-cars-german-cars-or-just-german-owned/

They are only built in Britain. German engineering. French/German engines, via a joint venture between BMW and PSA - most Mini engines can be found in either a Peugeot or a Citroen, if not both. While the 2l diesel is BMW only.

Like said previously, it's stretching things to call a Mini British. And the only reason that BMW builds them in the UK is to keep up the allusion that the cars are British. Lucky for them people are fickle.
I saw an A1 the other day and really liked it, I personally would prefer that over the Mini but I have no experience driving or owning either.
Reply 18
Hmmm... tough call, have had 2 MINIs already, experience with both has been rather pleasant... problem free or where they did give problem it was due to me abusing it.

As for the Audi.... it's just a fancy VW Polo :tongue:
Reply 19
Proper (original) Mini Coopers FTW.

Don't get an Audi. Every Audi driver is awful.

Quick Reply

Latest