Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How big is the jump up from undergrad to Masters in terms of workload??

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically in terms of exam preparation do people usually go through a book or two and the lecture notes and then practice using past papers? Or it it much more difficult than undergrad level?

In terms of undergrad level most of my revision (same course but at undergrad level at a different uni) was done using past exam papers and lecture notes and seminar questions and was enough to get ~80% overall. The questions change from past papers but the structure and method for answering most questions are usually very similar if you know what you're doing.

I know grading at postgraduate level is more strict but in terms of the content that's likely to come up in exams, are they more or less similar to those that came in the papers before or are exams usually have completely different questions to previous ones?

Also more specific, I'm due to start the course MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE in October and wanted some advice from people who've done the course before regarding the above in addition to how it is at other places.

Thanks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loyan)
    Basically in terms of exam preparation do people usually go through a book or two and the lecture notes and then practice using past papers? Or it it much more difficult than undergrad level?

In terms of undergrad level most of my revision (same course but at undergrad level at a different uni) was done using past exam papers and lecture notes and seminar questions and was enough to get ~80% overall. The questions change from past papers but the structure and method for answering most questions are usually very similar if you know what you're doing.

I know grading at postgraduate level is more strict but in terms of the content that's likely to come up in exams, are they more or less similar to those that came in the papers before or are exams usually have completely different questions to previous ones?

Also more specific, I'm due to start the course MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE in October and wanted some advice from people who've done the course before regarding the above in addition to how it is at other places.

Thanks.
    I don't think the step up is normally that big. Masters degrees at some universities use modules from 3rd/4th year undergraduate courses, so the difficulty is essentially the same. I'm sure it varies from subject to subject and from place to place though, as does the difficulty of undergraduate courses.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Huge apparently. You have about 2/3 months for your dissertation o.o;
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will probably have to do a lot of your own reading and self study. A lot more assessments may be essay style so there's less spoon-feeding. They're more about your ideas, thoughts and analysis. The dissertation is certainly longer. I think masters degrees are a lot more intensive as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Huge apparently. You have about 2/3 months for your dissertation o.o;
    This is the main 'hard' part. It's not like an undergrad project that you a get whole year for, and it can be just as hard.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Work load - Slightly more intense than final year undergrad
    Content - About the same as final year undergrad

As someone has suggested, it's really just a chance for you to explore more topics and enhance your critical/analytical thinking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the university and the subject. The best way to know is to take graduate level classes during your last undergraduate year, so that you know what you are getting into. It also heavily depends on your background, graduate school may even be a step down in difficulty if you switch to an easier subject, e.g. economics or applied statistics after pure mathematics. Each class will demand more work, the assignments will generally be longer, but you also generally take less classes each semester of graduate study.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me, are Masters more focused in subjects, and require more understanding? Because I've been rather disillusioned with my degree so far, there's still the crappy "memorise XYZ" modules which I thought I'd seen the last of in GCSE

Bits of it have been about understanding and thinking, and I do well in those, but I just don't want to do these learn-by-rote modules any longer..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Can anyone tell me, are Masters more focused in subjects, and require more understanding? Because I've been rather disillusioned with my degree so far, there's still the crappy "memorise XYZ" modules which I thought I'd seen the last of in GCSE

Bits of it have been about understanding and thinking, and I do well in those, but I just don't want to do these learn-by-rote modules any longer..
    Well let's face it any subject involves rote learning. You can't operate in any field without having in mind at all times the fundamentals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain to me what a dissertation is? is it just a project? like a PhD? (this may sound stupid, but i genuinely don't know)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReTurd)
    can someone explain to me what a dissertation is? is it just a project? like a PhD? (this may sound stupid, but i genuinely don't know)
    It is significantly shorter than a PhD and is completed in 2-3 months rather than 2-3 years. It may or may not include original material. Basically it is a long paper about some advanced aspect of your subject. For instance it may involve reproducing some analysis on a new dataset or something like that.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    I don't think the step up is normally that big. Masters degrees at some universities use modules from 3rd/4th year undergraduate courses, so the difficulty is essentially the same. .
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Work load - Slightly more intense than final year undergrad
    Content - About the same as final year undergrad
    Don't you find it a rip-off they are doing this to people?

(Original post by Ghost6)
    It is significantly shorter than a PhD and is completed in 2-3 months rather than 2-3 years. It may or may not include original material. Basically it is a long paper about some advanced aspect of your subject.
    The two posts I quoted above are true, so this would be wrong I'm afraid.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

And which course are you doing?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:

Visit the Uni first and see how they conduct the lectures. You would know because I would think universities have their own approach.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost6)
    It is significantly shorter than a PhD and is completed in 2-3 months rather than 2-3 years. It may or may not include original material. Basically it is a long paper about some advanced aspect of your subject. For instance it may involve reproducing some analysis on a new dataset or something like that.
    ok, thanks. I heard that a PhD is about 60,000 characters or words ( i cant remember) which is about a book, but i know it may vary quite a bit.
    roughly how much would be the range be for a dissertation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks. I heard that a PhD is about 60,000 characters or words ( i cant remember) which is about a book, but i know it may vary quite a bit.
    The number of pages/words depends on the subject. A typical math PhD dissertation is only about a 100 pages long. Humanities dissertations are significantly longer, sometimes over 1000 pages.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    The two posts I quoted above are true, so this would be wrong I'm afraid.
    I suppose it depends on the meaning you give to "advanced". To my knowledge master's dissertations often consist in the application of methods learned in one of the graduate classes or some kind of literature review of recent contributions. Perhaps some combination of the above.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most likely words, definitely not characters

My Masters thesis was 10,000 words, but I only ended up writing a bit over 7,000.

Masters theses usually range between 8-12,000 max
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Don't you find it a rip-off they are doing this to people?
    Perhaps, it depends. The idea of a Masters is to give you in depth knowledge of a particular aspect of a subject, so it might be appropriate to use certain modules from undergraduate courses. I wouldn't expect it to be exclusively like that though.

The fourth year of a science degree is the 'masters' year, so I don't see a huge problem with overlapping content. Most people wouldn't do 4 year undergraduate and then a stand alone masters on top.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.