The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Pride
hello. It gets annoying answering the same questions on this thread if I'm honest, but hey, one more time eh?

umm, I was lucky enough to shadow a doctor in cardiology when I was in year 11, you know those school work experience things schools have a scheme for, where you do it for a week or so... That was great fun, but I didn't really realise the importance of jotting things down back then.

Unis are bound to vary in opinion on it, but a teacher tells me that they know it's difficult to get these placements. Just get as much contact as you can, that's all you can do. Learn lots, and express it well in your personal statement. Volunteering is great too, and perhaps tells them more about you as a person.

About resits. Med schools vary. Cambridge does not look kindly towards resits, and you have to put down your individual UMS scores for each module, resits an all. UCL explicitly state they don't like resits. The other med schools seem to not mind, as long as it's within the 2 years. Some only allow resits in the AS year.

so the advice there would be to check individual uni requirements, there's probably a tsr wiki with this information on because this question is asked so many times.

Hey sorry to butt in but I was just wondering do you know the specific names of the universities that's only allowing resits in AS ? :smile:
Reply 1581
Original post by chiny94
Hey sorry to butt in but I was just wondering do you know the specific names of the universities that's only allowing resits in AS ? :smile:

let me have a look at the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

it says at the top of the page: 'Resitting modules during years 12 and 13 is usually permitted by medical schools.'

then for example in Bristol's row, it says: 'Accept AS module resits but not A2 level resits.'

have a look through eh?
Original post by Pride
don't retake them.

I feel obliged not to now with how blunt that is :laugh:
But yeah, I suppose it will just hinder my performance in other exams as i've been told by another person on here.
Reply 1583
Original post by Mocking_bird
I feel obliged not to now with how blunt that is :laugh:
But yeah, I suppose it will just hinder my performance in other exams as i've been told by another person on here.

that's true. If you want great UMS, you can concentrate on the upcoming exams with the experience you have of AS exams and push for the 90s, it's definitely not worth retaking solid A grades.
Reply 1584
Original post by Pride
let me have a look at the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

it says at the top of the page: 'Resitting modules during years 12 and 13 is usually permitted by medical schools.'

then for example in Bristol's row, it says: 'Accept AS module resits but not A2 level resits.'

have a look through eh?

Ooooh I see thank you for the link! :smile: wasn't planning to apply to Bristol meh haha but I AM planning to apply to UCL thus no resits for me anyway eeekkkk
Original post by Orinincandenza
Yup Attendance and lates are supplied with the reference

I thought references werent supposed to say anything negative, just to "leave out" bits that werent particularly good, so supposing someone had bad punctuality, wouldnt that just not be mentioned?
Original post by Pride
don't retake them.

Ditto, the mindset which makes people want to re-take middling or high A grades, i find baffling.
Original post by IAmMclovin
I thought references werent supposed to say anything negative, just to "leave out" bits that werent particularly good, so supposing someone had bad punctuality, wouldnt that just not be mentioned?

Well they can be as negative as they like, but don't unless they have to because it wouldn't be good for you or them.

I remember my tutor telling me it forms a part of the UCAS application, but after a bit of googleing i think it might depend on your referee, i've also heard that some medical schools check up on this randomly, as attendance is obvs fairly important in medicine.

On a side note, just given blood would defiantly recommend it to anyone reading.

http://www.blood.co.uk/
Did anyone go to that RSM conference at Keele today? :smile:
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
I'm trying to find the phone number online, if I wasn't working this weekend I would go down but unfortunately it is not to be!! *sigh*

Biology, chemistry, physics and French :smile: And maybe, I'm still looking into which London one I want to apply to...

I know the feeling all to well pal *pats shoulder* persrvere though, don't let it knock you!
Physics?! CHRIST. French - was forced to drop it before i sat my gcse i was that god awful...

Original post by Mocking_bird
Its with WRVS and the description said it was helping the elderly in hospitals by providing trolleys with drinks and food and just generally chatting with them and all that!
Are you universities looking for any kind of volunteering or does it need to be more involved? I'm still a little unsure on whats expected even after looking around at all the articles on here :laugh:
Hopefully i'll be able to, like you said, network some once i'm in there - but as its not directly the hospital who i'm volunteering for.. i'm not sure, we'll see :smile:

I'm still a little on the edge about retaking as it i did manage to get 4A's but its just some of the UMS which is bothering me as I would have preferred to get 90+ - any advice on what you think I should do? The ones I was thinking of resitting were aqa biology unit 1 (88/100) and maths c1 (85/100).. i just cant decide if its worth it.

I'm sure it does but theres no harm in helping! :smile:

Thanks for your reply anyway, I have had a look at the majority of articles but I just mainly need clarification to get it all straight in my head. :laugh:

Ah that's lovely. I'm meant to be doing something for WRVS too, but it was just working behind the till and I thought no.

Absolutely are looking for volunteering, you have to show long term commitment remember (something I seriously lack right now!) and that you play an active role in the community. You've smashed both in one!

I scraped an A, and a couple of UMS off an A - I'm retaking both, and everyone told me not to: my biggest concern was my ISA/EMPA bringing me down ****loads, and worried that I wouldn't average an A overall, I just thought i've got to go for it, even if I had no official ISA mark on the table yet: you've just absoloutely got to make sure that you have both the time and commitment to be revising both, constantly. If you think that you can do better, without it straining your other exams, then gurl, you GO for it.
Original post by chiny94
eeekkkk it's even more scary if you count it in weeks! :s-smilie: :frown: and ooohhh leicester would be so good for you then! :biggrin: i need to start looking for open days for uni.. we are having a speaker from oxford tomorrow talking about applying to competitive universities.. should be interesting :smile: +oohh btw, i've added you as ma friend for tsr.. if that's okay? :tongue:

I know it's ridiculously close :eek: yep it sounds pretty perfect, looking forward to checking it out! oh sounds good- how did it go? :smile: haha course that's okay! :tongue: I've accepted it :biggrin:
Original post by ameelia22
I know the feeling all to well pal *pats shoulder* persrvere though, don't let it knock you!
Physics?! CHRIST. French - was forced to drop it before i sat my gcse i was that god awful...

If it makes you feel better my Mum taught English as a second language in France for 5 years before I was born, so I grew up spending my holidays in France visiting the friends she'd made over there and my 'nan', and my Mum randomly speaks to me in French if she thinks I need practice, otherwise my French wouldn't be half as good as it is! I do have somewhat of an unfair advantage in the matter!

Oh dear...that is not good at all...really not good...I'm sure you aren't that bad though!!!! :smile:
Reply 1592
Do I resit biology unit 1 with 80? because its only JUST an A or work really hard for unit 2???? :s-smilie:
Reply 1593
Original post by ameelia22
Ah, I would have done likewise, but as discussed earlier in the thread the universities will know if your resitting if you retake in Jan. And my grades were AAB with the scraped A for Biology, and a couple of UMS off in my Chemistry B.

wow.. well done:smile: i had AABB. and in bio i just scrapped a B and spoke to my teacher about resitting and she suggest that it better to resit in Jan as most people tend to do generally better. but idk, i already have a lot to revise in summer
Reply 1594
Original post by OJC
Do I resit biology unit 1 with 80? because its only JUST an A or work really hard for unit 2???? :s-smilie:

work hard for unit 2. i only has 70 and i am not resitting
Original post by OJC

I have 82 in bio, I'm not resitting, just planning on smashing unit 2, it's an A at the end of the day (plus my college wouldn't let me resit an A anyway) so I'd go with just trying to boss the next exam, if you're resitting then that's another exam in June and more revision etc.

Another thing you could do, one of my friends is doing this, is to retake it in the January of second year that way, timetable permitting, you can attend some of the lessons again so you're not doing it all by yourself.
Reply 1596
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Did anyone go to that RSM conference at Keele today? :smile:

on a slightly different note... I'm going to an RSM lecture at london next month
Original post by Pride
on a slightly different note... I'm going to an RSM lecture at london next month

Same here. Which one are you going to?
Original post by IAmMclovin

:ditto:

References should be your teacher/referee helping your application by saying good things about you. There should be no negatives in your application.

If your referee wants to portray you as a lazy student that doesn't turn up then I suggest that you find a new referee..
Reply 1599
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Same here. Which one are you going to?

the one 'for young people' on broken bones I think...? what about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending