The Student Room Group

Dentistry Abroad 2012

Hello everyone,

Did anyone studied dentistry in Cardenal Herrera University, Valencia, Spain? If yes, then any comments and suggestions how they did find this university (nice place to study etc) would be really appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Studentik
Hello everyone,

Did anyone studied dentistry in Cardenal Herrera University, Valencia, Spain? If yes, then any comments and suggestions how they did find this university (nice place to study etc) would be really appreciated! :smile:

would be interested to know about them more, too ! am also applying
Reply 2
Original post by arvin_infinity
would be interested to know about them more, too ! am also applying

seems like no one applied there before ...
that course in spain is expensive as hell
Reply 4
They give those students who studied on the PRE-MED advantage, so getting a place is extremely unlikely and you literally just end up wasting £150
Original post by RD7
They give those students who studied on the PRE-MED advantage, so getting a place is extremely unlikely and you literally just end up wasting £150

Explain how its 'unlikely' to get a place, back it up with figures, and sources.

you're just trying to get people to go on the pre-med course hahaa
Reply 6
Hi I also am interested studying over there as well for dentistry. I am just condused do we still get student loan if we study abroad?
Reply 7
Original post by Hamza95
Hi I also am interested studying over there as well for dentistry. I am just condused do we still get student loan if we study abroad?

The answer to that i'm afraid is a resounding no. You have to self fund it and it isn't cheap. I think course fees alone can come close to around 15,000 a year. That's without even considering living costs.
Reply 8
Wooah that's a lot of money :s-smilie:
Hello. I am from the US and have heard dental education in Spain is expensive although I am not certain to what extent.
Reply 10
I'm at Cardenal Herrera in Spain at the moment, I didn't do premed. The fees are €20,000/year, not including living costs. There is also an administration fee, which M&D sets based on how much they think you are willing to pay (literally), they charge some people up to £12,000 with no reasoning because they know they will pay it, and others £2,000. The University life is incredibly bad. They have no extra curricular activities, and there is no effort on the University or M&D's part to introduce the UK students to either students in the years above, or Spanish students. I am not a fan.
Reply 11
i have seen a new dentistry programme in valencia at Universidad Catolica de Valencia that starts in 2012 in English. Does anyone know anything about this one?
Original post by dnvo2020
i have seen a new dentistry programme in valencia at Universidad Catolica de Valencia that starts in 2012 in English. Does anyone know anything about this one?

As a rule of thumb- avoid new programmes
am just thinking if you talking about cardenal herra cause thats in valencia too!!

that is also a relatively new programme(2 years maybe)
Original post by SimBx
I'm at Cardenal Herrera in Spain at the moment, I didn't do premed. The fees are €20,000/year, not including living costs. There is also an administration fee, which M&D sets based on how much they think you are willing to pay (literally), they charge some people up to £12,000 with no reasoning because they know they will pay it, and others £2,000. The University life is incredibly bad. They have no extra curricular activities, and.

Haven't been there but this
there is no effort on the University or M&D's part to introduce the UK students to either students in the years above, or Spanish students. I am not a fan

is not a point to argue about

its just not something anybody would consider when they choose university!! that's your job to go and introduce yourself!

having said that..not a big fan of M&D ..v poor service ..admission keep telling me yh we make decisions eventually -we dont know when and blababal.
Original post by GetFreeDental
Hello. I am from the US and have heard dental education in Spain is expensive although I am not certain to what extent.

why not just doing life science and then ADEA app
Reply 15
As a rule of thumb- avoid new programmes
am just thinking if you talking about cardenal herra cause thats in valencia too!!

that is also a relatively new programme(2 years maybe)

it's definitely not cardinal herrera but i can't really find much information about it, just one website talking about it.

why do you suggest not going to new programmes? Is it just because of teething problems or are there other things to consider?
Original post by dnvo2020
it's definitely not cardinal herrera but i can't really find much information about it, just one website talking about it.

why do you suggest not going to new programmes?

It's me hearing from other people that saying avoid new programms- I guess it might not be organised, it takes time for the school to adapt its style of teaching..you know people usually go for the schools that started their programms ages ago for the reasons mentioned.

The agencies like Eunicas and etc send students ..
If I were you I would call them up and ask these 4
1)Is the degree recognised by GMC(and then check it later with GMC as well)
2)Is the degree recognised only in europe? (most probably yh)
3)If the course started last year then defo get hold of a student to see what they are doing
4)Then ask how likely is it to get a job or be able extend the qualification in good uni(grad entry)-of course if its starting next year then you are gonna hope for the best

pls quote me if you actually did above and got any response :smile:
Reply 17

The agencies like Eunicas and etc send students ..
If I were you I would call them up and ask these 4
1)Is the degree recognised by GMC(and then check it later with GMC as well)
2)Is the degree recognised only in europe? (most probably yh)
3)If the course started last year then defo get hold of a student to see what they are doing
4)Then ask how likely is it to get a job or be able extend the qualification in good uni(grad entry)-of course if its starting next year then you are gonna hope for the best

pls quote me if you actually did above and got any response :smile:

well, i spoke to the company advertising this (Mark at Astarfuture) and they said yes, it is recognised by GMC and WHO. It is only starting this year so I guess if I go for it, it is going to be a bit of a leap.

is there anyone on here who is in valencia and knows anything about this? does anyone know anything about Astarfuture?
Reply 18
Original post by ash_1221
Hey guys, I've just now signed up for the English taught Dentistry course at UEM in Spain. I flew out last week to check it out and it was amazing. I also looked at Cardenal Herrera and UCV when I was there, they literally don't compare and the lower price was what tempted me the most. The agency I used to sign up were really helpful - the guy met me for drinks and showed me the University. They said they were getting loads of inquiries, so I booked my place straight away. If anyone else is coming let me know! Can't wait to move over to Spain!

Did you get paid by the agency to write that? :rolleyes:
Reply 19
[Hi my name is mehwesh.

I have just seen this thread about studying dentistry abroad.Dentistry is my dream. Ive done dental nursing for two years before i went college as I was always inspired by this field thorough far related family members being dentists.

I knew straight away this is what I want to do. So I went further to do my A -levels n did bio chem psych and german full A levels.
But unfortunatley after AS year I kinda knew that I wont be able to get the grades and I didnt want to be without a uni place at the end. I had AABB at AS.
So I didnt bother applying and applierd to pharmacy instead.

Now ive gt a place for pharmacy bt my mind n heart still for dentistry.
Ill be starting pharmacy this year and am still soooo uncertain. I dunno what to do....
Iam seriousley considering to study dentistry abroad....a uni which allows you to work in the UK after u graduate...
But I need a partner who is planning same as going abroad is a big stepon your own n a bit scary tbh.

So if u thinking the same, contact me on [email protected] or skype me.my skype name is mehwesh.arif
(20yrs old from manchester)

Quick Reply

Latest