The Student Room Group

Atheists 'Slaves Obey Your Masters' Billboard Raises Tempers In Pennsylvania.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by adsyrah
I don't think it mocks them. Offend, maybe.

I think it's pointing out that their religion has been used to opress people with black skin in the past and reminds them not to use it in a manner which will opress others now or in the future.

It's provocative and gets its point across very well.

Subjective of course. To me it seeks to humiliate them by linking historical racist practices with Christianity in modern america. Unless they are directly condemning slavery - billboards portraying chained africans will open old wounds. I don't think it was necessary to bring the race into it at all.
Okay, we get it. You don't like Christians :colonhash:

How is this Billboard going to do anything positive? Surely a Billboard about living your life without boundaries would be a more positive message than "OMG LOOK AT THIS QUOTE, CHRISTIANS ARE BAD" message which does nothing but conjure bad feelings.
Reply 42
Original post by mariachi
From the original article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/atheist-slavery-billboard-pennsylvania-raises-tempers_n_1342268.html

"We hope people can see just a little bit of discrimination we get," said Perce, who offended local Muslims last year when he dressed as a "Zombie Muhammad" in a Halloween parade.

"Religious" people do spend a lot of their time being offended : and this is exactly the kind of reaction which is being sought by their opponents, so as to make "religious" people look like intolerant, grumpy fools.

The reason why people will find this offensive is more about identity and race than the factual accuracy of what religious people believe.
Reply 43
Original post by NuckingFut
Funnily enough, if a Christian did something like this about atheists, there would be an uproar about bigoted religious nuts. Now that its the atheists its all "free speech!!"

Because the Atheists aren't actually advocating slavery, and if a Christian did it, they probably would be advocating it. The situation is different.
Reply 44
Original post by Algorithm69
American Christians: 'Free speech is ok unless we don't like it!'

That's quite a standard sentiment among both religious and secular folk. Rephrased, it's "Don't insult me".
Reply 45
Original post by LeeC
Because the Atheists aren't actually advocating slavery, and if a Christian did it, they probably would be advocating it. The situation is different.

Wait, what?
I think it illustrates the point very well. Slavery happened, most black and brown people know (myself included), it doesn't need to be pussyfooted around.Yeah it's shocking but it's shocking when there's religious billboard up too.
Reply 47
Original post by AliceStrawbs
I think it illustrates the point very well. Slavery happened, most black and brown people know (myself included), it doesn't need to be pussyfooted around.Yeah it's shocking but it's shocking when there's religious billboard up too.

This hits the nail on the head for me. It's not something that should be glossed over.

Some truly evil things have happened in the past in the name of "religion" (in quotes as I don't believe any religion would condone some of the horrendous things the human race have done), and this billboard points it out. It's not nice, but it's the truth.
Reply 48
Original post by adsyrah
This hits the nail on the head for me. It's not something that should be glossed over.

Some truly evil things have happened in the past in the name of "religion" (in quotes as I don't believe any religion would condone some of the horrendous things the human race have done), and this billboard points it out. It's not nice, but it's the truth.

The particular slave trade in question - the transatlantic slave trade, was done very much in the name of money, rather than religion.

Fair enough but there aren't billboards around rural england reminding the working class that they used to be serfs. If we are going to remind everyone of their particular ethnic groups past sufferings, why not do it equally? Ethnic collectivism is never helpful.
Reply 49
It had religious and Biblical justification. See 'the curse of Ham'.

Very flimsy. "the curse of ham" is a fits-all-oppressors type of justification. It was also used against serfs in medieval europe. It's rather transparent.
Reply 50
it's clear this was done by a brainless idiot only to incite hate against religion
Reply 51
It wasn't flimsy or transparent to slave societies.

Or indeed to feudal societies, which further illustrates the use of the curse of ham by elites to subjugate weaker groups.

Should we start putting up billboards in rural england reminding the ex-serfs of the historical use of the curse of ham against them as well? Equality and all that.
Reply 52
If you want...

I would rather dispense of ethnic collectivism and pernicious identity politics altogether.

But if we are going to indulge ourselves in post colonial guilt why not indulge in some post feudal guilt too. Don't really understand the difference.
Original post by MirandaPanda
Well considering I'm an American History major at College too, not to mention someone who actually LIVES in the US (and was born/raised there for the most part), I'd still state I know a heck of a lot more about the country than you do - as evidenced by your prior post.

Because information and knowledge is hampered by geographical location in this day and age. You have little basis for this statement, in my opinion. You're an American history major; good. You live in the US; and? There are plenty of people who believe things about their own country which aren't true.
Reply 54
Original post by Bonged.
I would rather dispense of ethnic collectivism and pernicious identity politics altogether.

But if we are going to indulge ourselves in post colonial guilt why not indulge in some post feudal guilt too. Don't really understand the difference.

How did post-colonial guilt come into this?

The billboard is pointing out to a black community that their own religion was used to justify the slavery of their ancestors.

Atheists are pointing out why they don't like that 2012 has been named "Year of The Bible". Granted, in a provocative way, but I don't think it's disrespectful as it's stating historical fact.
To any Americans reading; isn't the year of the Bible unconstitutional? I thought there was something in there about having freedom of religion. If this is true then why make 2012 the year of the Bible?
Reply 56
Well good for you. Cya later.

Enlightening.
Reply 57
Original post by adsyrah
How did post-colonial guilt come into this?

The billboard is pointing out to a black community that their own religion was used to justify the slavery of their ancestors.

Atheists are pointing out why they don't like that 2012 has been named "Year of The Bible". Granted, in a provocative way, but I don't think it's disrespectful as it's stating historical fact.

Christianity was used but it was used falsely. I was pointing out that it has been used in this false manner to enslave people based on class as well as race, so there is no need to bring race into it. If we are going to have billboards like this in black areas then presumably there shouldn't be a problem putting up billboards in rural areas reminding the working class that they were also enslaved using this false justification.

Or just do away with identity politics. Could be onto something thar..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EffieFlowers
Yes but the difference is that this billboard can be considered offensive, it's not an ad, it's just full of ridicule.

I don't get why religion adds would irritate you? It's just an ad like no other, if you don't like what it's advertising then just ignore it! :biggrin:

If I saw a Buddhist ad, I won't raise my blood pressure over it!

If you've been to America you will know how ridiculous the extent of the advertising is. Nothing particularly enrages me about Coca-Cola, but seeing it advertised on every available surface does begin to make you see red, as it were. The same would be true of Buddhism or anything else.
Reply 59
Original post by Bonged.
Wait, what?

Well if a Christian puts parts of the bible on a billboard, they would usually be doing it to promote the message of the bible rather than to say it's wrong. I can't think why a Christian would put that on a billboard to take a dig at his own holy book.

Quick Reply

Latest