Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about the prospect of going to hospital

Announcements Posted on

Every single day recently I have been hearing voices telling me to kill myself but I don't want to kill myself. I told a health professional and I am worried they will want me to go into hospital, but there really is no need as I am not going to do anything to myself. I just don't know how to stop the voices telling me to kill myself. How can I make sure I don't get sent to hospital? I feel like I might have to lie and not say anything about the voices.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. As a general rule people don't get put on a psychiatric ward unless if they're considered to be a threat to themselves or others, which doesn't sound like it applies to you.

It's good that you're aware that you shouldn't be obeying the voices, and that there's something wrong with constantly hearing such negative stuff. Doctors are very keen on patients' having insight into their condition, and the more you can show that you're capable of analysing what you're experiencing and participating in treatment.

Also, since you don't know why you're hearing these voices, you can't predict if your symptoms will get better, worse or stay the same. What you absolutely don't want is for your mental health to deteriorate further and meaning that you're no longer aware of the voices for what they are, and risking actually carrying out what they're telling you to do - that could result in hospitalisation or worse. Whereas if you're honest now and do seek help, you've got a far better chance of keeping all this under control, or eliminating the voices altogether.

Hope you manage to get some decent help.

I hear voices telling me to kill myself every day as well. I told my psychiatrist and he's not too bothered, as long as you're not planning on actually following through what they say there's no danger of hospital.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're honest about them the doctor might be able to prescribe you antipsychotics which might help get rid of them, if you lie then you're on your own.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.