The Student Room Group

Help with AS Apsects of Narrative

I sat the exam in January and did quite badly, I really want to improve and am retaking in May. I was wondering what are effective ways to revise fro English Literature and what would be good ways to improve my grade. Thanks.
Reply 1
Englishbiz.co.uk seriously I can't even explain how much this helped me. Read it. Re-Read it and apply it in the exam :smile:
Reply 2
STICK with your Assessment Objectives and don't bother with much else. Stick with AO's, but think 'freshly' about those AOs. Sounds vague but I really can't think of a better advice to give... LATCH on to AOs.

I did rather well for this paper so I guess it worked for me :smile:.
Reply 3
Make sure you get your essay technique right. Trust me, it doesn't matter about your knowledge if your essay technique isn't hitting it you won't be getting a good mark. Make sure all your sentences actually mean something - they aren't all waffle and you're not using up words pointlessly. Make sure you are actually making an analysis or interpretation in every sentence.
Reply 4
Original post by partickler
STICK with your Assessment Objectives and don't bother with much else. Stick with AO's, but think 'freshly' about those AOs. Sounds vague but I really can't think of a better advice to give... LATCH on to AOs.

I did rather well for this paper so I guess it worked for me :smile:.

This.

Seriously as long as you hit the AOs, you should be fine :smile:
Hi there, I completed my Unit 1 in January and did well on it - the most important thing I can recommend in terms of revision is a thorough, comprehensive knowledge of all your set texts.
To do this, I re-read them after first reading to spark discussions in class, and when I had re read them I split up an a3 sheet of paper into 3 sections: form, structure, and language and I made 6 points for each of the 4 texts I had studied for each of the categories, and found quotes to back this up.
I then did research into my own texts to compile some comprehensive notes about literary and social context of each of my texts!
To ensure you get the maximum marks, memorise the AO's for the particular band you are aiming for - I can't stress this enough! Whilst it's so tempting to go off on a tangent and write about another literary element it's crucial that your essay always has a very sharp focus to the task.

I also accessed AQA, and looked at every other exam paper, for the section A question it narrowed down the Chapter selection of the novel I intended to do for section A to just 2 chapters, so I revised those thoroughly. I also looked for examples of what they ask on the section B questions as well and had a go at a few of them.

Another thing I really recommend is reading examination reports! This is crucial to scoring high marks because it helps you to avoid errors any other candidates may make!

The conclude: a thorough knowledge of all your texts is CRUCIAL, learn the AOs for your target band and do some research into the examination!!

Best of luck!!!
Reply 6
I would like to add to this great thread - have a clear line of argument and stick to it. It's really easy to get caught up in the other AOs but do not neglect AO1 :smile:

Quick Reply