The Student Room Group

Atheists 'Slaves Obey Your Masters' Billboard Raises Tempers In Pennsylvania.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's funny, I'll give them that.
Dosnt appear to be a very tactful choice of billboard! As an Athiest I would feel a little uncomfterble viewing this as I think it tans all athiests with the same brush.
Reply 3
It came from there "holy book" so what's the problem and the religious have said worst things about atheists so meh ......
Idiotic and pointless. But, dummies gonna dumb be they Christians or Atheists. I don't see why Christians are getting butthurt when they are slaves to God.
Their execution was indecorous and seemed to prioritise shock factor over information deliverance. I didn't really understand what message they were trying to portray until I read the article. It also seems to be appealing to Biblical fundamentalists, when most people pretermit those less favourable aspects of the scripture.

Using an image of the Transatlantic Slave Trade in this context crossed the line, in my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Obviously in America all of the Old Testament is invalid, apart from the bit about gays.
Funnily enough, if a Christian did something like this about atheists, there would be an uproar about bigoted religious nuts. Now that its the atheists its all "free speech!!"
It's a pretty low blow - either side taking quotes out of context is wrong, although both do it.
If I hadn't seen Christian posters in London, and Muslim adverts on buses in Kent, then I would say the billboard in Penn is too far. However, I think it's just a retaliation from the atheists. I know I'm getting fed up with being told how peaceful religion is, but if you look at the wars going on now not much of it is to do with atheism.

I know this post will likely be negged by religious people - I'm not disregarding your religion, but I don't want it to be rubbed in my face. I don't want to be told about it or have it advertised, and I think that billboard in Penn is emphasising it. If, as a Christian, that makes you upset, imagine how irritated an atheist gets at seeing other religious advertisements.
Reply 10
Original post by kerb123
Obviously in America all of the Old Testament is invalid, apart from the bit about gays.

That quote is from the NEW Testament, which fundamentalist Christians believe to be both inerrant and morally perfect, in addition to being directly relevant to morality we must follow TODAY.
It reveals a fundamental flaw (excuse the pun) in fundamentalist morality.

Although leaving race out of it might have been more tactful, exposing what is really in the Bible should be considered protected free speech. The Bible really does condone and endorse slavery in both the Old and New Testaments.

If a belief system takes the Bible as inerrant and morally perfect, it does have serious flaws which need to be exposed to the world.
Especially when such a belief system 1) is evangelised (salesman-like), and 2) finds its way into politics.

P.S. I'm assuming whoever negged this post had no rational response to make so resorted to the easy option.
(edited 12 years ago)
clever, shocking and got people talking about it. As a peice of advertising its done a good job, something tells this is exactly the kind of reaction hoped for.

If its hadnt been an image of a black slave in a racially diverse area i think would have been ok,
Reply 12
What do these people expect the massive amount of black Christians to do the world over - blame God for racism, kill all the white preachers and missionaries, spurn Christian aid and what?

It's exploiting a sensitive part of black history for a completely pointless cause!
Original post by Algorithm69
American Christians: 'Free speech is ok unless we don't like it!'

Sigh :facepalm:

Idiots who don't know anything about the US: [Insert Generalisation Here].

The Atheist group posted this billboard in the middle of an African-American neighbourhood and more importantly, near a ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE SCHOOL whose major student populace is African-American (many of whom actually have to pass the sign on their way to school). Look, as an Atheist myself (and indeed an American), I'm all for what the group represents; but this was just utterly poor execution and an incredibly stupid idea.

Target adults and in ways which are less derogatory, not innocent children for goodness sake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NuckingFut
Funnily enough, if a Christian did something like this about atheists, there would be an uproar about bigoted religious nuts. Now that its the atheists its all "free speech!!"

See above; this has got nothing to do with "free speech", just a stupidly executed idea.
Reply 15
The fact that news of the incident has reached TSR demonstrates that the advert did precisely what it was meant to do. I don't know why people are calling the execution poor, I think it has got its message across really quite well.
Just goes to show that people looked at the image/top slogan and immediately went nuts over it without reading the rest of the text... :colonhash:
Original post by umop apisdn
If I hadn't seen Christian posters in London, and Muslim adverts on buses in Kent, then I would say the billboard in Penn is too far. However, I think it's just a retaliation from the atheists. I know I'm getting fed up with being told how peaceful religion is, but if you look at the wars going on now not much of it is to do with atheism.

I know this post will likely be negged by religious people - I'm not disregarding your religion, but I don't want it to be rubbed in my face. I don't want to be told about it or have it advertised, and I think that billboard in Penn is emphasising it. If, as a Christian, that makes you upset, imagine how irritated an atheist gets at eeing other religious advertisements.

Yes but the difference is that this billboard can be considered offensive, it's not an ad, it's just full of ridicule.

I don't get why religion adds would irritate you? It's just an ad like no other, if you don't like what it's advertising then just ignore it! :biggrin:

If I saw a Buddhist ad, I won't raise my blood pressure over it!
I don't really see why it's necessary to put up a billboard like that. "La la la we're atheists and Christianity is primitive and stupid" is not a message that's going to achieve anything productive. Especially in America. All it will do is anger people and provoke knee-jerk reactions.

I speak as an atheist, for the record.
A step too far. Okay, I accept that atheists/Christians/Muslims/Jews/etc will probably never live together without conflict, but there's no need to provoke it where it's not necessary (is it ever necessary?). There's a difference betwen expressing your opinion and just provoking trouble for trouble's sake.

I also speak as an atheist.

Quick Reply

Latest