The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I agree, it is obviously different. His main point seems to be that it's hypocritical to accept homosexuality on the grounds of something being iky doesn't equal should be illegalized then reject things like necrophilia because it's iky.

Necrophilia is by far one of the most taboo subjects in society, however I think thats perfectly justified. Whilst many will obviously debate this, I don't imagine necrophilia is as built in as sexuality. Its one of the few practices that I would say is a preference built on psychological issues developed over time.
Reply 41
Original post by Teh User
polygamy is fraudulent.

Er, how?
Original post by Sagamite
Merely he pervase desire is enough said.

I am disgusted by homosexual/paedophilic/necrophilic/beatial desires.

You don't need to be a voyeur to imagine what actions take place.

Umm, just thought I'd point out, as it seems to be your favourite word, "pervase" is not actually a word. You might be thinking of "perverse".

And also, so what if the thought of bum sex grosses you out?
The thought of people taking a **** grosses me out, maybe we should ban that too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mmmpie
The wikipedia article you were given is very well referenced, but I take you didn't read it. Why read something that disproves your bull**** when you can just stick you fingers in your ears and shout the word "spurious".

However: Penguins, Vultures, Dolphins, Bears, Bonobos (who, incidentally, are very closely related to humans), Giraffes, Lions, Hyenas, Geckos, Dragonflies and Bed bugs. Enough to be going on with? I can find more if you'd like.

His argument seems to be that because we can't understand non-human animals, we can't proclaim their sexuality. Them doing a specific acts doesn't mean they're somehow homosexual. But, if he does hold this position then he must surely apply it to heterosexuality because animals engaging in sexual intercourse with opposite sex is heterosexual behavouir but isn't necessarily heterosexual.
Original post by ohirome
Well, since you're not gay why would you even need to think about them? The thought of most people having sex isn't something I want to have lodged into my brain, but I don't make it my personal mission to cure people of their sexual desires. Don't like it? Don't look.

The thought of alot of most heterosexuals having sex is one I am comfortable with and most humans are compfortable with.

Original post by ohirome

Homosexuality is not a disease, therefore theres no need for a cure. Educate yourself. Hopefully when you find this miraculous cure, we can also work on one for heterosexuality. If its apparently that easy to erase someones sexuality, why not make it available to everyone?

I don't know what homosexuality is but I sure know it is pervase and unnatural. We should find a way of helping homosexuals, not accepting the practice.

Original post by ohirome

Having sex with a corpse is slightly different to having sex with a living person who you are attracted to either sexually, emotionally or both. If you can't see that, well...ah hell, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Polygamy should be legal, sure. Its down to the individuals, not the state to decide that. Nudism? Really? Lawdy.

So what if it is different? Who is being hurt by a necrophilic?

What is wrong with nudism? Why your surprise? Who are they hurting? On what basis do you think they should be banned?
Original post by kenni12
Non-Nigerians are also encouraged to contribute ideas, meaning no broken/pidgin english, please, let us all debate about this without throwing insults at each other and namecalling. Also, I must point out that there's nothing western about homosexuality, because it won't suprise me if someone brings that up, it happen for centuries and in other cultures besides the 'western' ones.

I wanted to start this thread, because I have a feeling that most Nigerians are ignorant about homosexuality or bisexuality, which contributes to the homophobia amongst people from and in the country, socially and legally.

I was once homophobic, until it got to a point when I started questioning my sexuality and when it took me some lessons for my misconceptions about LGBTs to debunked. I, being a Nigerian, find it hard to convince other nigerians face to face, especially members of my family that same sex relationships should be given as much respect as opposite sex relationships without feeling threated. My aim of this thread is for Nigerians to have a more positive attitude towards same sex relationships by them learning why they shouldn't be discouraged, hopefully from other pro gay people like myself.

So I'll start off by saying that I don't see what's wrong with same sex relationships because they just consist of two consenting adults both willingly doing what makes them happy, like any other couples.

How did your family react to your sexuality (whatever that may be)? I presume you are not straight...??? :s-smilie:

The thing is, Nigeria is a very religious country with very traditional beliefs, so homosexulaity is seen as a sin and as disgusting and unnatural. A gay person in Nigeria is more likely to be discriminated against. Same-sexual activity in Nigeria is illegal (punishable by stoning or imprisonment), gay people are more likely to be assulted (and the police will not care) and there is a lot of hostility towards homosexuality. I'm of Nigeria descent but I am not agaist homosexuality. In fact I couldn't give a damn about it - what two consenting people get up to is none of my business and it is not my place to dictate what people get up to in their lives.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ohirome
Necrophilia is by far one of the most taboo subjects in society, however I think thats perfectly justified. Whilst many will obviously debate this, I don't imagine necrophilia is as built in as sexuality. Its one of the few practices that I would say is a preference built on psychological issues developed over time.

We can apply this to any sexual fetish be it BDSM/anal/pegging/feet/breast etc etc. There's a bunch of psychological reasons that's been speculated as to the cause of those fetishes.

necrophilia is dangerous, polygamy is fraudulent.

What's the problem with ncrophilia if the person allowed it pre-death? And how is polygamy fraudulent?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
His argument seems to be that because we can't understand non-human animals, we can't proclaim their sexuality. Them doing a specific acts doesn't mean they're somehow homosexual. But, if he does hold this position then he must surely apply it to heterosexuality because animals engaging in sexual intercourse with opposite sex is heterosexual behavouir but isn't necessarily heterosexual.

Well, that's what I thought. But he did specifically request to be shown gay animals.

This is the trouble with a word which has one sense which refers to behaviour and another which refers to identity.
Original post by Carecup
I'll get to unnatural in a second. What exactly gives you the right to enforce your moral principles over others? A bearded man in the sky told you so? Homosexuality does not cause harm to others hence you have 0 right to say what two consenting men/women can do behind closed doors.

Why? Cause you happen to think a man loving another man is icky? Believe it or not bro I can show you videos of straight couples doing much worse things then happen in the average gay sex session.

I agree :yep: who does that person think he is? Just pathetic. Like I said in my previous post it is not up to us to dictate to others how they should live their lives. And it shameful for any human being to persecute someone in any way because they are different.

Some people are gay. So what? Some people need to get over themselves.
Reply 49
Original post by mmmpie
Er, how?

It's fraudulent to the people involved, who sign the marriage or civil partnership register believing that the partnership is between them only, and it's fraudulent to the government too who believe the same. The majority of all polygamy cases in the UK involve one or two parties not knowing of another.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ohirome
You seem to take issue with homosexuals undertaking research projects, I assume because you think theres a horrible level of bias there. Its simply a comparison. Would you only accept research on the subject from heterosexuals? Its not about justifying, its about educating. You are a terribly negative person. That cloud you live under must be a hoot.

Buy a reading hat. Wear it with a thinking hat. Then read some psychology book about self-serving bias.

I will only accept a videographic evidence of COMPLETELY gay animals. Not your spurious research reports authored by gay people.

There are over 5m specie of animals on Earth, it should not be that hard to film some that have a gay sub-population.
Reply 51
The thought of alot of most heterosexuals having sex is one I am comfortable with and most humans are compfortable with.

With all due respect, you do seem to think about people having sex a bit too much. Why do you even bother thinking about it if it doesn't effect you in the slightest? I would imagine the reason you don't like thinking about homosexual sex is because you are heterosexual. The idea of having sex with a woman is something that causes a frown to be painted across my face. Do I therefore feel the need to hate heterosexuals? No.

I don't know what homosexuality is but I sure know it is pervase and unnatural. We should find a way of helping homosexuals, not accepting the practice.

Well I'm afraid thats never going to happen. Homosexuality has several proven genetic connections, so its simply you and many others religious and societal bias that carries this idea that it is curable or treatable. I would also suggest you do your research on these so called cures and their 'success rates'. They have been proven to be fraudulent and no psychological institution worth a dime would back them.

So what if it is different? Who is being hurt by a necrophilic?

What is wrong with nudism? Why your surprise? Who are they hurting? On what basis do you think they should be banned?

Who is being hurt by homosexuality? Necrophilia is something that has been present since the dawn of time and, may I add, has never been socially acceptable. Homosexuality has been present for just as long and as society has progressed, people are more and more aware that it is part of built in genetics, just like heterosexuality. The decision to have sex with a corpse is not built into humans, it is a preference and an incredibly rare one at that. The difference between desecrating a dead body and two living humans having sex is vast...if you don't grasp that then I fear for your own humanity.

Nudism is totally fine. I lolled at it because I couldn't quite believe you brought it up. Nudity is because of social prudishness. It shouldn't be an issue, nor did I realise there are groups who lobby against it.
Reply 52
It's fraudulent to the people involved, who sign the marriage or civil partnership register believing that the partnership is between them only, and it's fraudulent to the government too who believe the same.

That's not what polygamy is.

Presumably you have no objection to people having multiple partners, all of whom know about and are quite happy with the situation?
Reply 53
Buy a reading hat. Wear it with a thinking hat. Then read some psychology book about self-serving bias.

I will only accept a videographic evidence of COMPLETELY gay animals. Not your spurious research reports authored by gay people.

There are over 5m specie of animals on Earth, it should not be that hard to film some that have a gay sub-population.

Again with the sex. You are obsessed! Research is research regardless of who it comes from. You are a completely and utterly self absorbed bigot. Well done!
Original post by ohirome
Im disgusted by mushrooms, so I don't eat them. Im also horrified by spiders and so I go out my way to avoid them. Moral of the story? If it doesn't directly involve you, mind your own business instead of pushing your own personal morals and objections into the public arena.

So you are cool with public nudism? You think it should not be banned?

Nude people should be free to ride on the tube with you and if you don't like it, you "avoid them"?

Use the reasoning hat here when you respond.
Reply 55
What's the problem with ncrophilia if the person allowed it pre-death? And how is polygamy fraudulent?

Necrophilia is potentially dangerous depending on the length of time after the body has died. If the body has begun to decompose it could have extremely harmful bacteria in it. Furthermore, consent after death can usually only be given in a will, so while I wouldn't exactly be totally opposed to it in a few cases, a blanket ban is seen as the only method at the moment. I don't see it as unnatural though, I don't see any sexual behaviour as unnatural, even paedophilia, but that needs to remain a criminal offence indefinitely to protect children who don't understand.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ohirome
Nothing is wrong with nudism, thats my point. I don't understand why he compares homosexuality to nudism...heck, I don't understand why he needs to compare homosexuality to having sex with a dead body. Two vastly different things which are only put together by narrow minded types. There are more than enough reasons for necrophilia being illegal and as a queer man, I'm not going to try and justify why my sexuality is completely different to someone wanting to make the whoopie with a corpse.

They are all perversion.

Be open minded and learn.
Reply 57
So you are cool with public nudism? You think it should not be banned?

Nude people should be free to ride on the tube with you and if you don't like it, you "avoid them"?

Use the reasoning hat here when you respond.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If someone wants to brave the elements in their birthday suit then thats fine by me.
Reply 58
Original post by kenni12
X

hello. I'm a Nigerian.

I think the reason why homosexuality is not accepted in Nigeria (by the huge majority) is because of a number of things.

It is not considered natural. It is considered backwards. And things that aren't normal tend to disgust people. On a similar note, gay men tend to be very feminine, lesbians tend to be very masculine. These traits can be frustrating for Africans, the whole camp image in the western world is quite popular, look at Keith Lemon, Michael McIntyre etc. These people would not be popular in Africa. It's not considered to be natural.

Another factor is that Nigeria is a majority religious country. The main religions are Christianity and Islam, both religions do not support homosexuality. Obviously, both religions teach against hate, but the idea that essentially, it is sin, is another factor in the general nonacceptance of homosexuality.

Another thing is that it is not considered something people are born with. People don't believe you can be born gay, but that they learn it. That they decide to rebel. Some even think they can 'cure' homosexuality...

that and some other things I haven't remembered all result in homosexuality not being accepted in Nigeria and in Africa.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
They are all perversion.

Be open minded and learn.

You really don't see the irony in this do you?

You still haven't actually given us a reason to consider homosexuality bad. You just keep insisting "it's a perversion".

Latest

Trending

Trending