The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Clyde PFO.
Original post by Susskind
Which one are you on? I'm going on the Easter scheme.

It clashes with my SJ Berwin scheme though, I've been trying to re-arrange with both of them but so far to no avail. Don't suppose anyone on the SJ Berwin summer schemes is looking to swap to easter...?

Hey congrats on your success for both schemes! Well deserved I'm sure.

Not sure if you have tried yet but I think it could be possible to do both as I had a friend who curiously received offers to both these two firms as well! He decided to contact Herbert Smith recruitment first, spoke to C and was luckily able to change his spring vacation scheme to summer. Apparently the spring (easter) one at HS has filled up but there may still be places for summer? Since there are two schemes in summer.

Good luck if you make the call. Hope it works out for you! x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2922
Original post by emilybradstreet
Hey congrats on your success for both schemes! Well deserved I'm sure.

Not sure if you have tried yet but I think it could be possible to do both as I had a friend who curiously received offers to both these two firms as well! He decided to contact Herbert Smith recruitment first, spoke to Carly and was luckily able to change his spring vacation scheme to summer. Apparently the spring (easter) one at HS has filled up but there may still be places for summer? Since there are two schemes in summer.

Good luck if you make the call. Hope it works out for you! x

I called HS but they said it's not really possible and they've pretty much finalised their numbers. Here's hoping someone else needs to change their summer date. I've yet to get through to SJ Berwin - called a couple of times, left an answer phone message and an email. I'd love to do both, it would be gutting to have to give up a vac scheme after all the time, energy, emotional capital, etc., etc.
I called HS but they said it's not really possible and they've pretty much finalised their numbers. Here's hoping someone else needs to change their summer date. I've yet to get through to SJ Berwin - called a couple of times, left an answer phone message and an email. I'd love to do both, it would be gutting to have to give up a vac scheme after all the time, energy, emotional capital, etc., etc.

Well it's quite a happy predicament to be in I would think! Hopefully it works out because I know how much effort and time the whole process involves.

If you aren't able to attend both schemes, perhaps it would be helpful to let graduate recruitment from your less preferred firm that you have a clash and maybe whether they can fast-track your application for a training contract? (I would think after the 5 hour long assessment day we had to do that it would be particularly great if HS considered offering a short partner interview to then consider you for a TC!)

And I guess this is your choice, but if there is still a clash and you cannot physically attend both, the earlier you let HS or SJB graduate recruitment know the more likely perhaps an unlucky TSR-goer :P may hear back from one of the firms they may be waiting for at the top of a long waiting list.. As in it gives an opportunity for others to accept the place that would open up!
(edited 12 years ago)
Had anyone had an interview before with Hill Dickinson in London?
Reply 2925
Original post by emilybradstreet
Well it's quite a happy predicament to be in I would think! Hopefully it works out because I know how much effort and time the whole process involves.

If you aren't able to attend both schemes, perhaps it would be helpful to let graduate recruitment from your less preferred firm that you have a clash and maybe whether they can fast-track your application for a training contract? (I would think after the 5 hour long assessment day we had to do that it would be particularly great if HS considered offering a short partner interview to then consider you for a TC!)

And I guess this is your choice, but if there is still a clash and you cannot physically attend both, the earlier you let HS or SJB graduate recruitment know the more likely perhaps an unlucky TSR-goer :P may hear back from one of the firms they may be waiting for at the top of a long waiting list.. As in it gives an opportunity for others to accept the place that would open up!

Well yes, obviously if no one gets back to me I'll have to choose one. I've already cofirmed SJ Berwin and I have to get back to HS within 5 days, so I've got until Monday for one of them to come through for me!

Do we have to do another partner interview at the end of the HS week for TC do you know?
Has anyone heard back from Clydo & Co about the MERO vac scheme (Dubai based)?

Thanks x
Well yes, obviously if no one gets back to me I'll have to choose one. I've already cofirmed SJ Berwin and I have to get back to HS within 5 days, so I've got until Monday for one of them to come through for me!

Do we have to do another partner interview at the end of the HS week for TC do you know?

Yes, you do have another partner interview at the end of the scheme, mostly based on the work you do during the scheme. It is optional, though, whether you want to have it straight after the scheme or later on in the summer.
bryan cave and debevoise pfo

bryan cave by post. lol
Original post by azureangel2

bryan cave by post. lol

sorry to hear that. When did you hear from Debevoise?
Reply 2930
Does anyone know how long Withers takes to get back to you after interview?
Original post by heartattack
sorry to hear that. When did you hear from Debevoise?

5pm this afternoon. all the best! hope u get it!
Original post by padman
Anyone else going on the DLA Manchester July scheme? Bit of a relief being accepted after the assessment day (which taught me I must never ever be put in charge of a chocolate company).

See you there!
Reply 2933
Congratz to you guys that got DLA Manchester VC. I was very disappointed that I didn't get a VC with them, considering my team won and I thought I did really well personally too.

Funnily enough though, I got VC with Addleshaw Goddard which is 2 steps away lol. That AC was much more intense with a verbal reasoning written test, instruction taking exercise, interview and group work. But it took them less than 2 days to give me an offer. Plus, another in SJ Berwin in London! So, I am very happy! (DLA would've made me even happier lol but probably would create even more clashes).

Congratulations to everyone who got a VC this time round! To those who haven't never give up - it took me 3 years to get to this point, it will happen eventually! Never lose hope my friends! :smile:)
Reply 2934
Travers Smith PFO, Trowers and Hamlins PFO but...Covington and Burling invitation for an interview ^^
Original post by azureangel2

bryan cave by post. lol

by post!?
Original post by kitze
Still waiting on Bristows too. No news is good news??

hi,

I still havn't heard from Bristows either, and I put Spring Vac as my first choice.. Has anyone heard back? I assume they've been doing ACs?
Original post by kitze
Has anyone heard back from Bristows by any chance? I applied in early December and have yet to hear a peep ..

Also, anyone else for DLA Vac Scheme Leeds?

How do people feel about the level required in the regions compared to London? Do people think it's "easier" is secure a regional VC/TC, or that it's the same? Just curious!

Good luck everyone, PFOs are always demoralising, but tenacity is the key when it comes to VCs and TCs.

I'm yet to hear back from Bristows too, sent the app around 20th Jan and no news. Most firms have sent a message of some sort by now, even if its along the lines of 'thanks for your app, sorry we will get back to you soon'. Which VacScheme did you ask for?
Reply 2938
Original post by shivermetimbers3
I'm yet to hear back from Bristows too, sent the app around 20th Jan and no news. Most firms have sent a message of some sort by now, even if its along the lines of 'thanks for your app, sorry we will get back to you soon'. Which VacScheme did you ask for?

They never replied to my winter scheme application. Obviously that event has passed, so I think they go in for the silent PFOs.
Reply 2939
Is anyone going to the White and Case open day?

Quick Reply

Latest