The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCD23
Are you talking about the remake with the new characters. If so I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by how good that game was.

Yep, the one where the Prince has the same personality as Nathan Drake. :p:
Reply 6442
Anyone got any thoughts on journey game? Heard good reviews and seems like something completly different.
Reply 6443
https://wavii.com/i/yJfvw

Heard of Wavii? Sounds pretty cool...basically it aggregates news for topics you're interested in.

Just trying to get group discussion going again :colondollar: Also I want beta access :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6444
Went to GAME clearout today and picked up SKATE2 for £7.99 and FIFA 11 for £1.99.

I saw Dead Space 2 Limited Edition for £2.98 and almost wet myself and realized that I had no I.D on me and if i did it'd only say 16 on it... Oh the misfortune :frown: .
Reply 6445
Original post by vn2009
Anyone got any thoughts on journey game? Heard good reviews and seems like something completly different.

It is incredible. I implore everyone to give it a go when it's 'publically' released on PSN. It is very short though, which might put some people off given the £10 pricetag, but it's just wonderful. Fans of Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Limbo, etc. espeically should get it as it conjures an atmosphere on par (in fact it probably surpasses them, I'd say) with those games. If ever a game could be considered art, this it it, like Flower before it. Good thing is though Journey actually has alot more gameplay than Flower, which I liked, but Journey is a far better game.

The online element is perfectly implemented aswell. A player will just appear in your game and you instantly feel compelled to help/work with them, even though you could just wonder off on your own if you wanted to. What makes it even better is the feeling of companionship you have despite the fact that you can only communicate via a kind of whistle, and the fact that the players name is revealed to you at the the end of the game. It's one of the most magical couple of hours I've ever had in gaming.
Reply 6446
Original post by hogso
It is incredible. I implore everyone to give it a go when it's 'publically' released on PSN. It is very short though, which might put some people off given the £10 pricetag, but it's just wonderful. Fans of Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Limbo, etc. espeically should get it as it conjures an atmosphere on par (in fact it probably surpasses them, I'd say) with those games. If ever a game could be considered art, this it it, like Flower before it. Good thing is though Journey actually has alot more gameplay than Flower, which I liked, but Journey is a far better game.

The online element is perfectly implemented aswell. A player will just appear in your game and you instantly feel compelled to help/work with them, even though you could just wonder off on your own if you wanted to. What makes it even better is the feeling of companionship you have despite the fact that you can only communicate via a kind of whistle, and the fact that the players name is revealed to you at the the end of the game. It's one of the most magical couple of hours I've ever had in gaming.

Sounds amazing, Might give it a go!
I thought Flower was far too pretentious and insubstantial both in terms of gameplay and the message it was trying to convey. If I ever had to defend the "games as art" line then Braid, Heavy Rain and The Metal Gear Solid franchise would be the examples I'd use.
Original post by Phalanges
I thought Flower was far too pretentious and insubstantial both in terms of gameplay and the message it was trying to convey. If I ever had to defend the "games as art" line then Braid, Heavy Rain and The Metal Gear Solid franchise would be the examples I'd use.

Next time you have some cash to spend and are looking for an unique and refreshing experience in video gaming, pick up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD collection. Just about the perfect examples of video game 'art' (though 'art' is such an overused term, it's meaningless) along with being amongst the best games produced in the industry.
Reply 6449
Original post by hogso

Nice review! :biggrin:

How long was the gameplay? At £10 it does seem expensive, I might wait till its cheaper.

Have you played flower, I was thinking of playing that in the meantime. I have played flow, which was okay for a while.
Reply 6450
Original post by vn2009
Nice review! :biggrin:

How long was the gameplay? At £10 it does seem expensive, I might wait till its cheaper.

Have you played flower, I was thinking of playing that in the meantime. I have played flow, which was okay for a while.

I think my first playthrough was maybe 2 hours, although I didn't get everything (didnt get all the gylphs which increase the length of your scarf, and only got 1 trophy), but it is purposefully designed to be finished in one sitting. You're also rewarded in some way for completing it multiple times, so there is some replayability factor there. Having said that, if people complained that it was just too expensive for the amount of time it takes to finish, I'd understand. It's worth the price for me though.

In terms of 'games as art', it frankly pisses all over Flower, Heavy Rain, MGS, Braid, Limbo, Ico, Shadow of the Collossus, and any other game you might care to mention (all of which I have played btw).

And yeh, I did play Flower, but like I said this is a better game, not only that, but the spectacle of the thing just blows it out of the water.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Next time you have some cash to spend and are looking for an unique and refreshing experience in video gaming, pick up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD collection. Just about the perfect examples of video game 'art' (though 'art' is such an overused term, it's meaningless) along with being amongst the best games produced in the industry.

I've been wanting to pick that up since it came out as I've never played either of them, but I heard that SotC suffers from some pretty ropey framerate issues so I wanted it to get pretty cheap before I got it. Definitely want to get it at some point though.
Reply 6452
What does the error code 80710092 mean? I got signed out of PSN earlier and couldn't log back in. The wifi and Internet is fine as I can use it from the PC.
Reply 6453
Original post by dhr90
What does the error code 80710092 mean? I got signed out of PSN earlier and couldn't log back in. The wifi and Internet is fine as I can use it from the PC.

Sounds like a DNS error...Can you put your PS3 in a DMZ?
Original post by dhr90

Just try resetting your router, or check your ISP's service status if you can. Putting it in DMZ shouldn't necessarily solve DNS issues.

The best option would be to go to your network settings, do a manual connection setup and change DNS server. An easy one to use would be 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.
So I decided to expand on my intent to roleplay Fallout: New Vegas by writing a story to go along with it, in case anyone's interested: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1947201 :ninja:
Reply 6456
Original post by kuks
Sounds like a DNS error...Can you put your PS3 in a DMZ?

Original post by AugustWestie
Just try resetting your router, or check your ISP's service status if you can. Putting it in DMZ shouldn't necessarily solve DNS issues.

The best option would be to go to your network settings, do a manual connection setup and change DNS server. An easy one to use would be 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.

Working fine today, although a bit laggy, but I suspect playing Black Ops online in split screen did that.

What is DMZ out of interest?
Original post by dhr90
Working fine today, although a bit laggy, but I suspect playing Black Ops online in split screen did that.

What is DMZ out of interest?

It was probably a problem with your ISP or something.

A DMZ basically runs on the outside of your home network. It's used quite a lot to solve port forwarding issues.
Was in town today so I thought I'd pop into Game to see what all the fuss was about their Firesale. With such deals as Fallout 3 pre-owned reduced from £4.99 to £4.98 (it actually had both stickers on) and Skyrim used and pre-owned for £34.99 I'm glad they're going down the ****ter.

I still haven't forgiven them for when I was like 12 and I saw a game in there I really wanted (forget what now, something not too special) and it was £40 so I saved up for weeks (£40 was A LOT back then). I went back to buy it and it was increased to £45. My Mum eventually agreed to lend me the extra fiver and I got it. Two weeks later I was in there again and it was reduced to £15 :angry: :angry: :angry:
While we're talking prices, the PS Store is well worth a look right now. IKO, Shadows of the Colossus, the Sly Collection and flower are all on sale, among others.

Latest