The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Thankyou! That's such a nice thing to say :smile: I'm not quite sure yet, but I think I will yeah - it's a bit of a toss up between Wimbledon (I applied for sculpture) and Goldsmiths. Goldsmiths is winning right now, it's really only the term abroad and the work placements that are making me consider Wimb. I've got an interview at Brighton tomorrow, I'm not really bothered now but it was a bit late to cancel it. Oh well, I might love it!

Where did you accept a place for? Is it that one in Wales? (I forgot it's name haha)

Exciting and terrifying! It hit me this morning that in 5 months time I'll probably be living in London - practically had a panic attack :colondollar:

Aww do you know anybody in London already to welcome you? I'll be happy to meet up and give you a tour when you arrive, if that'd help!

EDIt: Good luck for Brighton! Was that Crit Art Practice?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joverbena
Aww do you know anybody in London already to welcome you? I'll be happy to meet up and give you a tour when you arrive, if that'd help!

EDIt: Good luck for Brighton! Was that Crit Art Practice?

I've got one friend up at SOAS, and a couple at Oxford to visit at weekends I guess. Oh and someone at Royal Holloway, but isn't that miles out? There are loads of people from my foundation course in London, but I don't exactly speak to them much anymore :tongue: It'd be nice to know someone who did know their way round though, even if it's just a little bit :smile:

Yeah Crit Art Practice! I feel a bit bad because I'm not really bothered about the place anymore, but I just thought it was a bit rude to cancel only a day before (especially when I asked them to rearrange it). I might love it I guess, who knows? If not, I'll just think of it as a 9 hour drive to the seaside :cool:

EDIT: Decided I'm going to cancel my interview. There's not much point in going, and I'd feel awful if I they accepted me and I took the offer of a place away from someone who really wanted it. Can't believe I got up at 5am just to decide that :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1442
Original post by somaya
i've been rejected from 3 universities of my choice, with only an interview for kingston left on monday has anyone else had there interview? i feel really disheartened and slightly unsure about what to do!

Just be yourself. Forget the rejections, forget about any discouraging things. If you show them that you believe in what you are doing, I think they will see your potential. Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
EDIT: Decided I'm going to cancel my interview. There's not much point in going, and I'd feel awful if I they accepted me and I took the offer of a place away from someone who really wanted it. Can't believe I got up at 5am just to decide that :facepalm:

I think you're probably right, so don't feel too bad about cancelling on them. You might have loved it, but you already have two amazing places to choose between! If you pretty much know you're going to pick one of them, then...well, 9 hours is a long time to travel to a place you're not really going to choose. So yeah, don't feel guilty at all :smile:
I've got one friend up at SOAS, and a couple at Oxford to visit at weekends I guess. Oh and someone at Royal Holloway, but isn't that miles out? There are loads of people from my foundation course in London, but I don't exactly speak to them much anymore :tongue: It'd be nice to know someone who did know their way round though, even if it's just a little bit :smile:

Yeah Crit Art Practice! I feel a bit bad because I'm not really bothered about the place anymore, but I just thought it was a bit rude to cancel only a day before (especially when I asked them to rearrange it). I might love it I guess, who knows? If not, I'll just think of it as a 9 hour drive to the seaside :cool:

That was a wise decision, thing is it's probably certain you would have got in as the interview is really personal (bit like Goldsmiths sounds I suppose)

And.. Goldsmiths have given me another chance! I don't know if it's cause I took the cheek of finding Roxy's email address too and apologizing directly to her but making my keenness still known.. but yes I've got 21st March 11am (not so damn early!):biggrin:
I'm still not sure WHY i'd go there location wise, because I can;'t find a quick way to get to New Cross from Fulham Broadway (help anyone?!) but I'm glad for my tutors sake because they were so excited about someone in the class getting into that course i didn't have the heart to say i didn't go.. so phew for another try:colondollar:

i'd be happy to keep in touch if you like, to give you a gallery tour! Make sure you get your student oyster card asap, then you've got £10 discount on topping it up with a weekly travelcard, so it's £20 for unlimited travel between Zones 1/2. Pay as you Go feels much more expensive and seems to just eat up money, even though they supposedly 'cap it'... the travelcard option is great. Wish I did it when i first came to London I would have got used to the City so much quicker rather than worrying about money all the time...
When did you have your Wimbledon interview? Mine was on the 24th, if yours was around the same time yet they offered you a place quite a while ago, they might have prioritized you as well! I looked back at your portfolio and it was really painterly and you have skill with the brush! I'm worried because I didn't include hardly any conventional painting in my portfolio, just drawing and life work.

mine was on the 29th feb. That's not to say you should lose hope as it's all down to admin, maybe it's in alphabetical order or something. Perhaps you should ring them up and see where you are at if you haven't already. Try not to worry and let me know how it goes. Fingers crossed
Original post by kindkydinky
mine was on the 29th feb. That's not to say you should lose hope as it's all down to admin, maybe it's in alphabetical order or something. Perhaps you should ring them up and see where you are at if you haven't already. Try not to worry and let me know how it goes. Fingers crossed

THanks! I emailed a few days ago and they said they're putting them all on this week, so I'm just going to try and relax now.. seeing as I won't be able to change the decision. On the good side I think I've got an offer at Brighton... the email from the admin lady today said 'I can't tell you either way as it has to go through UCAS, but the decision's been made and results are being added now so keep checking. Unofficially though - don't worry!' - which seems to be code for unofficially you're in, doesn't it?! Holding hope!
THanks! I emailed a few days ago and they said they're putting them all on this week, so I'm just going to try and relax now.. seeing as I won't be able to change the decision. On the good side I think I've got an offer at Brighton... the email from the admin lady today said 'I can't tell you either way as it has to go through UCAS, but the decision's been made and results are being added now so keep checking. Unofficially though - don't worry!' - which seems to be code for unofficially you're in, doesn't it?! Holding hope!

which brighton course was this for?? i had a painting interview the other week and they said the results wont be for another 4 weeks or something...
Original post by sarinda.devine
which brighton course was this for?? i had a painting interview the other week and they said the results wont be for another 4 weeks or something...

For BA Critical Fine Art Practice, I had my interview 1st March and they said it would take about 2 weeks to hear, so I emailed on the 15th and that's what they replied.. good luck for Painting!

Ooh, that does sound a bit like a "yes"! :smile:

After my Loughborough interview, I emailed the guy who interviewed me to say thank you and how much I liked it there (only because my mum and grandma were going on and on about how I should, and I finally agreed), and he replied with:

"Many thanks for your message.

I'm hugely pleased you had a good experience today and although I can't give anything away!, it would be great to see you in Loughborough next year…."

Whilst I was trying not to get my hopes up too much since it was just the first day of their interviews, I was thinking that that sounds like an offer. And a week later, I got my UCAS email :smile:

Sooo, while I wouldn't take what she said as a definite yes, it seems like they do say "unofficial" things before the actual offers, even though they can't explicitly state it. So yeah, sounding good! :smile:
That was a wise decision, thing is it's probably certain you would have got in as the interview is really personal (bit like Goldsmiths sounds I suppose)

And.. Goldsmiths have given me another chance! I don't know if it's cause I took the cheek of finding Roxy's email address too and apologizing directly to her but making my keenness still known.. but yes I've got 21st March 11am (not so damn early!):biggrin:
I'm still not sure WHY i'd go there location wise, because I can;'t find a quick way to get to New Cross from Fulham Broadway (help anyone?!) but I'm glad for my tutors sake because they were so excited about someone in the class getting into that course i didn't have the heart to say i didn't go.. so phew for another try:colondollar:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Even if you decide against it you've still got bragging rights for an interview too :cool: Which is your top choice so far? Still Wimbledon?
I kind of wanted to go today in some sort of attempt at getting 5 offers, but then I woke up, thought 'screw it' and went back to bed :colone: No regrets there!

Oh and I forgot about Oyster cards! Need to find out how they work and what zones I'll be in and everything. Thought I had 5 months with no responsibilities...nope! :rolleyes:
Original post by Village Whisper
Ooh, that does sound a bit like a "yes"! :smile:

After my Loughborough interview, I emailed the guy who interviewed me to say thank you and how much I liked it there (only because my mum and grandma were going on and on about how I should, and I finally agreed), and he replied with:

"Many thanks for your message.

I'm hugely pleased you had a good experience today and although I can't give anything away!, it would be great to see you in Loughborough next year…."

Whilst I was trying not to get my hopes up too much since it was just the first day of their interviews, I was thinking that that sounds like an offer. And a week later, I got my UCAS email :smile:

Sooo, while I wouldn't take what she said as a definite yes, it seems like they do say "unofficial" things before the actual offers, even though they can't explicitly state it. So yeah, sounding good! :smile:

Amazing! It does seem a lot more appealing when the tutor or admin specifically seem to make an effort with you. After all my raving about Wimbledon I feel really like I'm not on their preference list, and honestly it's ever so starting to put me off. I emailed after my interview to say thanks to Wimbledon too, with no reply! e did reply to my 'have i got in' request, but he didn't say anything personal or seem to remember me.. Brighton seem to have treated me extra well through the process with their emails, personal interview and fastness of reply. It really makes a difference.... and Goldsmiths giving me another chance and corresponding properly, has made me like them more. Mutual respect between student and tutor.... pretty important! Seems like Loughborough's meant to be for you! It's especially cool that they were 'glad you liked it' and seem to be honoured to have you aboard, seems like they care.
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Even if you decide against it you've still got bragging rights for an interview too :cool: Which is your top choice so far? Still Wimbledon?
I kind of wanted to go today in some sort of attempt at getting 5 offers, but then I woke up, thought 'screw it' and went back to bed :colone: No regrets there!

Oh and I forgot about Oyster cards! Need to find out how they work and what zones I'll be in and everything. Thought I had 5 months with no responsibilities...nope! :rolleyes:

:biggrin: I know I'm so thrilled! And especially since hearing about your experience, i feel more enthusiastic :smile: As in my post above.. having not heard I'm starting to go off Wimbledon, they just don't seem bothered about me which is a bit of a bad omen when I was looking forward to spending three years with them :frown: and for really stretching my learning ability, maybe Goldsmiths is where it's at? Will see how my mind changes over the course of time.. and just see who wants me after all..
Original post by Village Whisper
I think you're probably right, so don't feel too bad about cancelling on them. You might have loved it, but you already have two amazing places to choose between! If you pretty much know you're going to pick one of them, then...well, 9 hours is a long time to travel to a place you're not really going to choose. So yeah, don't feel guilty at all :smile:

Nah, I'm sure I made the right decision now. I was kind of panicking after the phone call as to whether I should have gone but it was just silly to waste that much petrol and effort when I'm pretty sure I know where I'm accepting. The course sounds amazing, but it was never my first choice anyway.

And congrats on Loughborough! Have you accepted it?
:biggrin: I know I'm so thrilled! And especially since hearing about your experience, i feel more enthusiastic :smile: As in my post above.. having not heard I'm starting to go off Wimbledon, they just don't seem bothered about me which is a bit of a bad omen when I was looking forward to spending three years with them :frown: and for really stretching my learning ability, maybe Goldsmiths is where it's at? Will see how my mind changes over the course of time.. and just see who wants me after all..

I feel a bit like that with Wimbledon, it's almost like they don't care that they're leaving people hanging for so long. But then it's a small college so maybe that's why?
I guess you have to base a lot on gut instinct with these things. I didn't expect to love Goldsmiths as much as I did when I went last year, but at the same time I was mad keen on Chelsea and absolutely hated it when I got there! I hope your interview goes well though :smile:
HamSandwich, Goldsmiths (New Cross) is just on the edge of Zone 2, which is great, so if you get the student oyster and top it up with the £20 travelcard every week, you will have unlimited travel alllll throughout zone 1 & 2, so you can go to galleries & museums galore. Because if you had to get a Zone 1-3 card, it would cost £30

There's a map here which shows the zones and you can see all the places you can travel within Zone 1 & 2. I live in Fulham Broadway, bottom left on the District (green) line! New Cross is Bottom Right and connected to the Overground.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wttw/14763924/
(edited 12 years ago)
I feel a bit like that with Wimbledon, it's almost like they don't care that they're leaving people hanging for so long. But then it's a small college so maybe that's why?
I guess you have to base a lot on gut instinct with these things. I didn't expect to love Goldsmiths as much as I did when I went last year, but at the same time I was mad keen on Chelsea and absolutely hated it when I got there! I hope your interview goes well though :smile:

Yes I feel sort of neutral about Chelsea, the location is great but there's just such a wide scope to the course, I'd feel a bit needle in haystackish. Not sure. And I still can;t really judge Goldsmiths because I've never looked around properly, so there's still room for my mind to change..
Amazing! It does seem a lot more appealing when the tutor or admin specifically seem to make an effort with you. After all my raving about Wimbledon I feel really like I'm not on their preference list, and honestly it's ever so starting to put me off. I emailed after my interview to say thanks to Wimbledon too, with no reply! e did reply to my 'have i got in' request, but he didn't say anything personal or seem to remember me.. Brighton seem to have treated me extra well through the process with their emails, personal interview and fastness of reply. It really makes a difference.... and Goldsmiths giving me another chance and corresponding properly, has made me like them more. Mutual respect between student and tutor.... pretty important! Seems like Loughborough's meant to be for you! It's especially cool that they were 'glad you liked it' and seem to be honoured to have you aboard, seems like they care.

Yeah, when there doesn't seem to be much effort/care/respect shown towards you by the place it makes it seem a lot more like school or something. Kind of like treating you more as a general "student" than an individual. I actually thought Goldsmiths seemed to be really good at doing that at their open day, like when they were talking about how they treat the students as artists from the moment they start in that the work is very self-directed. I didn't apply though because it seemed to be quite conceptual, and I don't like to do presentations which they seem to do a lot of. If you're more optimistic about them now, maybe you'll like it even more when you have your interview :smile: They must like you already if they're giving you another interview, I doubt they'd do that for someone they thought was just good/average.

I really do think Loughborough's meant for me now, too! I know I keep going on about it, but I'm just really glad that I've found somewhere I like and apparently likes me. And to think I was planning on skipping the interview...!
Nah, I'm sure I made the right decision now. I was kind of panicking after the phone call as to whether I should have gone but it was just silly to waste that much petrol and effort when I'm pretty sure I know where I'm accepting. The course sounds amazing, but it was never my first choice anyway.

And congrats on Loughborough! Have you accepted it?

Which course do you think you'll go for, then? No I haven't accepted it yet, but I will; I'm just really bad at making decisions :tongue: When you accept an offer, can you just firm one and forget about the whole insurance thing? I mean, I don't want to go to NTU which is my only other choice, and I'd be mortified if I only got a pass at foundation, which is all I need for Loughborough...

Quick Reply

Latest