The Student Room Group

Stockholm School of Economics MSc Finance applicants

deleted
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was told the same. And to be honest most things you hear or read online in forums should not be taken too serious. Before I asked the admission office I thought that the GMAT average would be around 700 because people kept saying that everywhere.

Btw I applied aswell. Do you know when we should expect to hear back from SSE? I think I read something like early March ?!

Good luck to you !
Reply 2
Original post by slct
non-EU applicant

Just out of curiosity - you know that SSE charges non-EU applicants 150 000 krone, right? While for EU it is free?
Reply 3
Original post by slct
Certainly I do. But for some non-EU applicants (including me) the Swedish Government has full ride scholarships - tuition exemption, 8000 krone per month, insurance etc. :smile:
so why not give it a try. an 120euro application is a small investment compared to potential gains

Wow, what is the basis for that, if you do not mind me asking?
Reply 4
Im applying for Econ Masters as well.
Reply 5
Original post by slct
http://www.studyinsweden.se/Scholarships/SI-scholarships/
Visby for Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine
Swedish-Turkish for Turkey
East Europe for Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Kosovo and Serbia

About 40 scholarships will be offered for the academic year 2012/2013.

I would guess number of eligible applicants are 20 or 30 times more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I am applying as well. BSc from UK, 1st so far, GMAT 760, EU applicant. It's my 1st choice as of this moment, but I change that quite regularly.
Reply 7
Original post by lego
I am applying as well. BSc from UK, 1st so far, GMAT 760, EU applicant. It's my 1st choice as of this moment, but I change that quite regularly.

Insane GMAT! Congratz!

I tend to say your certainly in. I heard schools like SSE and Bocconi focus on the GMAT score! And even if they dont, your 1st will do the rest :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by slct
actually, last year there were selected 47 scholarship recipients from 381 applicants. so it's not bad.
1:8 ratio

Well, good luck! It certainly is worth it if you get the scholarship, good school overall.
Reply 9
I received an early offer of a place on the MSc Finance program at SSE two days ago. Was very pleased to get such positive feedback, but they want a response by 20th February! It is a bit earlier than I had hoped to be making a decision but I guess as there is no tuition fees and no payment to be made, if I did accept now and then change my mind later there is nothing they could do, right?

I was wondering what people's thoughts on the school and the course are? Also what reason there is for the course being over two years when most other MSc Finance programs are completed in just one year?

I also have an offer from Grenoble, and am waiting to hear back from Rotterdam School of Management.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or opinions
@Kingy950: May i ask how strong your GMAT is?

I received an early admission offer from SSE yesterday, too. I was pretty surprised that they deceided to do so regarding that I scored only 680 on the GMAT.
Reply 11
My GMAT score was 720. Yeh I was suprised too!

Have you applied anywhere else? What are your thoughts on the school?
Yes, I have applied at a lot of schools, among them:

LSE => No offer
Warwick => No offer
HEC Paris => No Offer
IE Madrid => Offer
Cass => Offer
LBS => Pending
StGallen => Pending

In general, I think SSE is an excellent school. It is accredited by EQUIS like a lot of other Top Schools and SSE is especially well known for academic excellence (especially in Finance and Economics) and I am not sure whether that statement is valid to the same extent e.g. for Cass Business School. SSE is a CEMS Partner and its partner universities are top notch (LSE, Wharton, Columbia, NYU Stern etc...) so I think whereas the MSc Finance takes two years, one major advantage will be to visit another top US-university for at least one semester.

And as a EU-student, SSE is free of any tuition fees. However, I have a hard time in deciding between Cass and SSE because Cass has an excellent network and good placement at BB IBs.

On the other hand, some people already told me that I should be very happy to get an offer from SSE with my bad GMAT, especially since competition for the MSc Finance seems to be very hard. One guy I told to was even very surprised that Warwick did not made me an offer whereas SSE did.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
What sort of feedback did you get from HEC Paris? I'm in the middle of applying there but haven't quite finished the application, but I imagine it is very hard to get into some I'm not too optimistic.

Yes I like everything I know about SSE but the only thing holding me back is the fact that it is a two year course. I don't know if it would be good in allowing to further my knowledge and enjoy a longer stay in a different culture, or if it would be a waste to spend an extra year on the Masters.

Are you planning to accept the offer now and then, based on the outcome of your other applications, perhaps decline later?
Reply 14
Mine arrived around the 17th January I think.

I have minimal work experience, just a bit of time spent at Tradition, which is an inter dealer broker.

My guess would be that SSE likes the GMAT.
Reply 15
Direct email with attached offer letter from SSE. Good luck with your application!
Reply 16
I just heard from decisions in the finance department. Someone has some news from the Economic department?

Best
Reply 17
My status says "In Progress", documents arrived on the 21st of January.
Reply 18
Economics?
Reply 19
MSc. Finance and Accounting

Quick Reply

Latest