The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Yoshiki!
Niamh (Neem-h)
Siobhan (Si-oh ban)
Sean (Seen)

And I thought lingerie was lin-ger-ee. That became very embarrassing at work one day. (It was a long time ago!)

Haha oh dear
(edited 12 years ago)
subtitles, I used to pronounce subil-itees.
DURRR
I've always found Chinese people struggle with the word 'European'. I was born in England so I've always found it easier but Chinese people always stress the wrong syllable! :tongue:
Original post by OU Student
For reasons unknown to me, no-one can pronounce my first name or surname. I've had several debates with people how I spell and pronounce them.

I'm now wondering how people think you say "Haidon"? (my surname)

like hayden?
(ps sorry lol)

and i cant think of any now
but my mum can't make the "v" noise very will
so she can't say victoria
s'quite funny
she also couldnt say liquid for a long time
she used to say likid instead lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by minniiee
like hayden?
(ps sorry lol)

yes! Always get asked if it's "Hi (as in another word for hello) - den"
yes! Always get asked if it's "Hi (as in another word for hello) - den"

lol i thought you were gonna tell me hayden was wrong n that hiden was correct!!
Reply 627
I have only just realised that I was mispronouncing the Japanese for 'mobile phone'.

What it should actually sound like: kay-tie

What I was saying: kee-tay

I have no idea why I mispronounced it for so long really; I'm fully aware of the rules of pronunciation, how the syllables sound, the appropriate inflection, etc.

Force of habit, getting about the place.
Phoebe.
My name was often mispronounced before everyone thought I was actually Count Omar.
Reply 630
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllandysiliogogogoch
Reply 631
Johnny Deep instead of Johnny Depp.
When I first started reading the Harry Potter books in primary school, I also had the Hermione problem. I also thought Gryffindor was pronounced "Gry-fin-door", and Slytherin was "Slie-ther-in". Luckily the first film came out soon after, and saved me some embarrassment...

My sister also got through the House of Night series which I hadn't read (still haven't), before telling me about this character or something called "Percy-phone".

(...It's "Per-seff-uh-nee")
Reply 633
Original post by Village Whisper
My sister also got through the House of Night series which I hadn't read (still haven't), before telling me about this character or something called "Percy-phone".

(...It's "Per-seff-uh-nee")

Hah, that reminds me of a kid at primary school who pronounced "Penelope" as "peen-a-loap".

When we visited Cyprus, my dad pronounced "Cypriots" as "sick pricks".
And when my younger brother was about 6, he used to pronounce the brand name "Pritt Stick" as "pricks' dicks".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mequa
Hah, that reminds me of a kid at primary school who pronounced "Penelope" as "peen-a-loap".

My dad also pronounced "Cypriots" as "sick pricks".
And when my younger brother was about 6, he used to pronounce the brand name "Pritt Stick" as "Pricks' dicks".

Ahh yes, Penny-loap. I said that too.

Also or "Nye-am" or "Neem" (Niamh, pronounced "Neev")

and "Mye-ry" (Mhairi, pronounced "Varry").

Stupid "mh"...

Although the best has to be "Siobhan" in a book when I was about 12. "Shivon"?? I was reading it "See-yo-buh-han" :biggrin:.

Pronounced Hermione "Hermy-own" in my head all the way through the Harry Potter books... even after the films started coming out and I knew how to pronounce it. My "brain voice" was having none of it.
Reply 635
And in the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" they pronounced "Socrates" as "Sah-cratez."
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mequa
And in the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" they pronounced "Socrates" as "Sah-cratez."

Oh, and that reminds me of when I was in year 11 ages ago before I started AS Philosophy, and I was reading through the course material...I was convinced Nietzsche was pronounced "Nee-et-zish" :frown:

When I heard my teacher say his name for the first time, I didn't even realise he was talking about the same person until he wrote it on the board. At that point I was reeeeally glad I'd never had to say it out loud...
Original post by Village Whisper
Oh, and that reminds me of when I was in year 11 ages ago before I started AS Philosophy, and I was reading through the course material...I was convinced Nietzsche was pronounced "Nee-et-zish" :frown:

When I heard my teacher say his name for the first time, I didn't even realise he was talking about the same person until he wrote it on the board. At that point I was reeeeally glad I'd never had to say it out loud...

Don't know if you have seen the History boys- one of the characters pronounces Nietzsche as Neeshaw, and I completley misunderstood what he was saying and though that was the correct pronouncation!
Original post by Mequa

How is that pronounced?:s-smilie:
How is that pronounced?:s-smilie:

"Sock-ra-teez" :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending