Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Master's in Management vs Finance

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted this in the "Postgraduate" section, but I wanted to hear more opinions, especially from anyone currently working:

From the several offers I received I have narrowed it down to Durham's Master in Finance and EM Lyon's Master in Management. I am torn between these two. I have explored almost every single aspect of these programs and have no idea which one to choose.

Given my complete lack of relevant experience as well as my goal of eventually finding a job in IB or CorpFin (no location preference), which one would be a better choice?

Durham's MSc.Finance:
    -1 year (not a good thing in my case since less time to find an internship)
    -Closer to London (+)
    -English language spoken everywhere (+)
    -More specialized degree (+)

EM Lyon's MSc.Management:
    -2 to 3 years with 6 months abroad and 12 months of in-company internships (bad and good)
    -Ranked fairly well (+)
    -Further away from London (-)
    -Lack of French will hinder my progress in just about every single way (-)
    -Has a Finance track, but still might be too broad of a degree

I don't have any internships under my belt so taking on a Master's degree can quickly become pointless if I graduate without changing that. At the same time though, I have no idea how investment banks in England see someone holding a MSc. in Management from a French school outside the top-3. Nor am I intuned to how Durham's Master's students are viewed. From speaking with a couple EM Lyon's students, some BBs do give interviews and there is certainly some type of representation in London from Durham, but I'm pretty sure all of those graduates already had an internship before taking on a Master's degree, which snowballed into getting further opportunities and finally resulted in a FT offer.

Just to get this out there: I realize this will be nearly impossible to pull off, so I'm being realistic. I'll be focusing on boutiques and MM firms as well as the Big4,CorpFin and so on, but my endgoal is IB.

Any thoughts on this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realdeal87)
    Originally posted this in the "Postgraduate" section, but I wanted to hear more opinions, especially from anyone currently working:

From the several offers I received I have narrowed it down to Durham's Master in Finance and EM Lyon's Master in Management. I am torn between these two. I have explored almost every single aspect of these programs and have no idea which one to choose.

Given my complete lack of relevant experience as well as my goal of eventually finding a job in IB or CorpFin (no location preference), which one would be a better choice?

Durham's MSc.Finance:
    -1 year (not a good thing in my case since less time to find an internship)
    -Closer to London (+)
    -English language spoken everywhere (+)
    -More specialized degree (+)

EM Lyon's MSc.Management:
    -2 to 3 years with 6 months abroad and 12 months of in-company internships (bad and good)
    -Ranked fairly well (+)
    -Further away from London (-)
    -Lack of French will hinder my progress in just about every single way (-)
    -Has a Finance track, but still might be too broad of a degree

I don't have any internships under my belt so taking on a Master's degree can quickly become pointless if I graduate without changing that. At the same time though, I have no idea how investment banks in England see someone holding a MSc. in Management from a French school outside the top-3. Nor am I intuned to how Durham's Master's students are viewed. From speaking with a couple EM Lyon's students, some BBs do give interviews and there is certainly some type of representation in London from Durham, but I'm pretty sure all of those graduates already had an internship before taking on a Master's degree, which snowballed into getting further opportunities and finally resulted in a FT offer.

Just to get this out there: I realize this will be nearly impossible to pull off, so I'm being realistic. I'll be focusing on boutiques and MM firms as well as the Big4,CorpFin and so on, but my endgoal is IB.

Any thoughts on this?
    You can still get into Investment Banking from lower uni's than top 3. They aren't that narrow minded, it just so happens though that many people who are suitable for IB go to great uni's.

If you want a career in finance, more specifically IB then you need to show you're intelligent, logical and can work with numbers, that's why they take many Maths students etc. I would vote you take Finance at Durham.

Management can involve other aspects such as marketing, hr etc, that isn't going to give you a great grounding for an IB interview.

Go with your heart though, finance may seem attractive with the salaries, but some people who started at big 4, for example, sometimes realise after a couple of years that they don't actually like finance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that I hold a Bachelor's in Economics with a minor in Finance as well as have some decent ECs (small business, finance club, athlete, and others)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go with EM Lyon. They're a top ranked grande ecole and will give you more time to get the right work experience.
    Durham is still pretty far from London and while somewhat respected, probably not by far as much as any decently ranked grande ecole. A 1 year programe won't give you the time to fix your itnernship situation. Also, Durham is not well known internationally.
    EM Lyon will give you more plan B options.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.