The Student Room Group

KCL vs. Edinburgh vs. Gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by confusedexcited
Maybe we should debate it out between us. :tongue: what do you see as the pros, and cons for both locations? (I'm guessing as academic institutions both are quite different for our respective disciplines)

Yeah... That's really all it is for me. Location. The course at KCL and Edinburgh only seem to differ very marginally. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Edinburgh myself. I'm not really facing a gap year dilemma because I'm currently on one!!!

The reason I'm leaning towards Edinburgh is really because I live in London and I'd like to work back in London so I thought it'd be nice experience to live elsewhere for a change.

Edinburgh is also higher on the rankings than KCL for medicine... But then again, rankings? Really? Not sure how seriously I should take them.

The other thing is smaller year group for the course at Edinburgh. Not sure whether this is a pro or con but seeing as KCL medicine has something like 350 students and Edinburgh around 200, a smaller group seems somewhat more appealing at the moment...
Reply 21
Original post by SirMuffin
Oh boy, I'm having exactly the same dilemma but I'm struggling whether to choose KCL or Edinburgh for medicine... Wrong thread, wrong sub-forum, but anyone feel like helping me anyway?

omg im choosing between kings and edinburgh tooo!!! what were your other places?
Original post by nk2012
omg im choosing between kings and edinburgh tooo!!! what were your other places?

Are you choosing for medicine?
Yeah... That's really all it is for me. Location. The course at KCL and Edinburgh only seem to differ very marginally. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Edinburgh myself. I'm not really facing a gap year dilemma because I'm currently on one!!!

The reason I'm leaning towards Edinburgh is really because I live in London and I'd like to work back in London so I thought it'd be nice experience to live elsewhere for a change.

Edinburgh is also higher on the rankings than KCL for medicine... But then again, rankings? Really? Not sure how seriously I should take them.

The other thing is smaller year group for the course at Edinburgh. Not sure whether this is a pro or con but seeing as KCL medicine has something like 350 students and Edinburgh around 200, a smaller group seems somewhat more appealing at the moment...

But with medicine you're pretty much garunteed a job! :P yeah, it'd be nice to experience somewhere other than london, though I hope to emigrate to America :smile: have you visited edinburgh university?
Reply 23

But with medicine you're pretty much garunteed a job! :P yeah, it'd be nice to experience somewhere other than london, though I hope to emigrate to America :smile: have you visited edinburgh university?

Yep. Went to the open day sometime months before christmas... I really ought to go up again in the next few weeks to help me decide... It's a lovely city! But I went on an extremely sunny and warm day which (apparently) is very rare... Not sure if I should factor local weather into my decision! :rolleyes: How about yourself?
Reply 24
Are you choosing for medicine?

yepp indeed, and i'm finding it impossible!
Yep. Went to the open day sometime months before christmas... I really ought to go up again in the next few weeks to help me decide... It's a lovely city! But I went on an extremely sunny and warm day which (apparently) is very rare... Not sure if I should factor local weather into my decision! :rolleyes: How about yourself?

What's the union/City like? i'm still really struggling!
Reply 26
What's the union/City like? i'm still really struggling!

I've only been up there once (I plan to go up again in the next couple of weeks). Edinburgh seemed pretty small to me. But it had a nice feel to it. Nice buildings. I guess you could say it was similar to Oxford city centre in terms of city layout and architecture "oldness". Oh boy, I'm not doing it any justice. You ought to go have a look around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending