The Student Room Group

Loughborough Banking Degree, good enough for IB?

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should get you in Operations at most outfits.
If your sole aim is going into FO investment banking, just do a respected arts/social science degree at a target university, since that will stand you in better stead than that Loughborough degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
It's not a 'mickey mouse' degree, I'm sure it will still contain a fair amount of Maths, as it is a BSc, however, there will probably be options available for those unable to do the maths, I wouldn't advise taking the 'easy' options, as employers will be interested to see what modules you took, and flags will be immediately raised when they find out you've taken non-mathematical modules for what is essentially a finance degree.

"Professional Placement

The third year of the degree is spent on a salaried business placement which may be with a bank or other financial institution or with one of a broad range of major UK companies. On successful completion of the placement year, you will be awarded a Diploma in Professional Studies in addition to your degree." Source: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...andmanagement/

It is clear that you will be able to get into banking via this degree programme, and from the looks of it, you will get placements at decent banking institutions, if it's investment banks, that remains to be seen, though I'd imagine it would be fiercely competitive. JP, RBS etc. may offer the chance for 1 or 2 students, but that would be it, there will probably be a whole host of other financial companies offering placements, but the top ones won't take on many.

I'd email the department with regards to Maths, I've looked at the course structure and I know, as I'm going to be studying a part economics degree at Manchester, that many modules will require understanding of AS Maths, certainly for me, looking at your programme, you will probably need a firm understanding of A2 Maths modules related to Finance. Then again, they may throw on extra sessions for those without A-level Maths, but I wouldn't count on gaining a firm grasp, this may be just 2 hours a week for a short while, so you'd have to be pretty quick at getting to grips with the content.
Reply 4
Take a year out and self teach maths, get an A*, apply to LSE. You have very little chance at L'boro, and even at LSE, it's still incredibly competitive, unfortunately IB is very selective.
What are your actual grades? Business Studies at Cass wouldn't be great tbh.. If you're not interested in any social science(s) arts subject then ignore my advice. But a strong degree in something like Politics/History/Law from UCL, LSE, Warwick will hold you in good stead for banking providing that you're after a post where very strong quantitative skills are not almost essential. If you're only into Mathsy courses, then take the advice of the poster above and gap year, while doing your Maths A-level. To an extent, the degree does matter, but the university also has a key role. If you're after a role like IBD, your lack of Maths skills shouldn't be too detrimental.
(edited 12 years ago)
It was a typo I meant to say NOT almost essential. Anyway with a law/history,etc degree from a top university you can crack the majority of areas of IB as long as you are numerate and comfortable with numbers. It depends on the role from what I hear.. i.e if you want to go into M & A you'll need strong maths skills..at least A-level Maths.

I think your best bet would be choice three. But, your decision should be made largely to help YOU get into a course you'd prefer to study rather than what would help you get into IB. In my opinion, doing that CASS course, will limit your options substantially. If you decide IB is not for you, you'd be ****ed with that degree. That would be fine, as long as you do NOT retake your business paper in your third year of doing A-levels.
I have friends with offers for that course and yeah AAB is the requirement.. you'd probably need at least AAA predictions though to be in with a shot!
Reply 8
With all due respect, I doubt they will take you with Business Studies, it's one of their blacklist subjects. Your GCSEs would have to contain a high numbers of A*s to convince them.

Also, don't take a degree for a name, you've gone from Banking/Finance to Economic History, you need to have a passion for your course. A lot of people get kicked out of LSE because they can't keep up with the content and workload, don't view Economic History as an easy route into IB because it isn't, it'll require hard work and passion. Did you even do History or Economics at A2? You'll have about a 1 in 18 chance of an offer from LSE, the stat listed on their website is wrong.
Reply 9
Business Studies is not a respected social science.

Cass is not good for undergrad. studies.

Both matter - degree more though.
Original post by sarah1345
With all due respect, I doubt they will take you with Business Studies, it's one of their blacklist subjects. Your GCSEs would have to contain a high numbers of A*s to convince them.

Also, don't take a degree for a name, you've gone from Banking/Finance to Economic History, you need to have a passion for your course. A lot of people get kicked out of LSE because they can't keep up with the content and workload, don't view Economic History as an easy route into IB because it isn't, it'll require hard work and passion. Did you even do History or Economics at A2? You'll have about a 1 in 18 chance of an offer from LSE, the stat listed on their website is wrong.

He also does English Literature and History, so if he chooses his A2s wisely, he can probably give himself a shot. Judging by my friends who got offers, I don't think Economic History is one of the most competitive courses to get into and the A* GCSEs claim probably isn't as applicable here.

OP, the second part of her post is good advice, and you should listen. TSR largely inflates the need to attend a 'top six' even somewhere like Bristol/Manchester, etc will give you a good shot.
Reply 11
Jesus, choose your degree not by perceived chances to get into IB, this will backfire.
Reply 12
No, not primarily. A degree should be something you are interested in doing. It should relate to a future field you want to work in, but it doesnt have to. It also shouldnt be a bull**** degree giving you no skills.

Primarily, you should be looking into a degree that will show your strengths to future employers. Work experience during the degree will help you get the job you want - not the choice between economic history (smell that bull**** from a mile away) or business studies (which seems to be a lot less appreciated in the UK as it is in Germany, where a majority of bankers have that as their background).

There is no degree out there, that will automatically land you a job in finance, there it's silly to search for one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Spurious
Work experience during the degree will help you get the job you want - not the choice between economic history (smell that bull**** from a mile away) or business studies (which seems to be a lot less appreciated in the UK as it is in Germany, where a majority of bankers have that as their background).

Lol, if you think Economic History is a bull**** degree you really don't have a clue.
If you're actually interested in Economic History, that seems like a good choice for you. You may find it hard to find a similar course elsewhere, so it may be LSE or bust. I think Edinburgh may do it.
Reply 15
Original post by Tsunami2011
If you're actually interested in Economic History, that seems like a good choice for you. You may find it hard to find a similar course elsewhere, so it may be LSE or bust. I think Edinburgh may do it.

Exclusively EconHistory, maybe. But I believe many universities offering Economics degrees also offer tons and tons of economic history related modules. For instance, I could have taken 4/6 and 5/6 history-based modules in my 2nd and 3rd years respectively.
Original post by TomasK
Exclusively EconHistory, maybe. But I believe many universities offering Economics degrees also offer tons and tons of economic history related modules. For instance, I could have taken 4/6 and 5/6 history-based modules in my 2nd and 3rd years respectively.

Yeah I agree..but straight Economics will be cut off from the OP at the top universities since he doesn't have A-level maths.
Reply 17
Original post by gangst
Lol, if you think Economic History is a bull**** degree you really don't have a clue.

Given that I consider regular Economics a useless degree, I cant see how History will add anything to it.
Reply 18
Original post by Spurious
Given that I consider regular Economics a useless degree, I cant see how History will add anything to it.

Where do you aspire to work after you graduate?
Reply 19
Original post by TomasK
Where do you aspire to work after you graduate?

Banking, but I already semi-graduated. I am just too lazy to finally hand in my thesis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending