The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by msmith182
im just going to wait and see if i get rejected...

i just think it's ridiculous!
got up at 5....left at 6,payed about 50 quid overall for travel -.- my poor dad spent about 3 hrs waiting
downstairs for me :s and i was so positive throughout! and they just shot me down lol

doesn't matter...got an offer from lcf for fashion textiles...and i got into the other 2 ...so really chelsea just put me off...but it's not to big of a deal :/

Honestly that's so unacceptable to have so much time, money and energy wasted like that :frown: man! But if you're happy with going to LCF then at least you've not completely lost out :smile: you're probably relieved it's over ...
Reply 1481
Original post by Ham_Sandwich

Where did you accept a place for? Is it that one in Wales? (I forgot it's name haha)

Exciting and terrifying! It hit me this morning that in 5 months time I'll probably be living in London - practically had a panic attack :colondollar:

I havent firmed it yet as Im waiting to hear back from CSSD (just so I have heard back from all the schools before making a decision).
But yeah will probably most likely accept RWCMD (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama). I cant believe they gave me an offer, the building is like nothing Ive ever seen. Uni's gonna change my life!

Im actually looking forward to moving away from London, have been here for five years and thought obviously its incredible and all that, its waaay to big for me. I cant wait to move to Cardiff!

Original post by joverbena

And.. Goldsmiths have given me another chance! I don't know if it's cause I took the cheek of finding Roxy's email address too and apologizing directly to her but making my keenness still known.. but yes I've got 21st March 11am (not so damn early!):biggrin:
I'm still not sure WHY i'd go there location wise, because I can;'t find a quick way to get to New Cross from Fulham Broadway (help anyone?!) but I'm glad for my tutors sake because they were so excited about someone in the class getting into that course i didn't have the heart to say i didn't go.. so phew for another try:colondollar:

Aaah lucky you! Congrats! Hope it goes really well.
Fulham Broadway to New Cross should only be like 40 mins which is pretty quick for London. If you go on the District Line to Cannon Street theres a train (not tube) that takes like nine minutes to New Cross.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philemon
I havent firmed it yet as Im waiting to hear back from CSSD (just so I have heard back from all the schools before making a decision).
But yeah will probably most likely accept RWCMD (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama). I cant believe they gave me an offer, the building is like nothing Ive ever seen. Uni's gonna change my life!

Im actually looking forward to moving away from London, have been here for five years and thought obviously its incredible and all that, its waaay to big for me. I cant wait to move to Cardiff!

Aaah lucky you! Congrats! Hope it goes really well.
Fulham Broadway to New Cross should only be like 40 mins which is pretty quick for London. If you go on the District Line to Cannon Street theres a train (not tube) that takes like nine minutes to New Cross.

Thankyou! Wow the Cannon street overground is reaaaally fast then! Makes up for the not-so fast journey on the tube. I was not at my best that morning though at all! Know what you mean, London's too big and bustly for me too.. once I've got an art degree I think I'll be straight out! (if I don't go to Brighton that is)
And the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama does look amazing just from the website! Can't see how they'd be any downsides to going there! Hope you have a fantastic time when the time comes
Original post by Philemon

Just looked RWCMD up, it looks so nice! Congrats on getting in! You'll have to learn Welsh :wink: It's all got pretty exciting now hasn't it? I can't wait to move out of my hometown and go somewhere bigger, hopefully London won't be too big :smile:
Can anybody tell me more about the facilities at Goldsmiths? I booked for both open days but I could never go as my mum was in hospital, really appreciate some knowledge in prep for my interview. My desire to go there is increasing...
Can anybody tell me more about the facilities at Goldsmiths? I booked for both open days but I could never go as my mum was in hospital, really appreciate some knowledge in prep for my interview. My desire to go there is increasing...

I only went to the open day, but they seem to have a lot of different facilities. They're a bit spread out, though, so it's not like you could go from your studio space to the print making room/sculpture without having to do a bit of walking. The guy who showed us around said that most people get a studio space up in that big building with the sculpture on the side of it, and the spaces up there were pretty nice. Apparently it's not guaranteed though, and the other spaces are in an older-looking building that I think is out of the way a bit, near the sculpture room (which is outside). The printmaking room I think was in the main building, and I have a feeling that there was a room with a load of sewing machines in too.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful and I'm sure someone else can give you a much more detailed description! It seemed like they have all the standard facilities though. They might have more information on the website, if you haven't checked already?
Reply 1486

I missed the open day but a bunch of people from my college went there last year and the year before, I think they have all the usual workshops - one of the students who came to speak at our college raved about the textile facilities (she was on Fine Art). I think there is some difference between the fine art and the FA/HOA groups in terms of studio space and workshop time - Fine Art get priority (but dont quote me on that, it was from someone who went a couple of years ago so things might have changed, it was something that frustrated them)

The main building with the big sculpture on top is state of the art and full of light - great place for studios (I have a feeling FA/HOA might be in a different bit) - if you've seen the degree shows online you will have seen the main building which was where most of the exhibition was.

It is pretty spread out - a good walk between the different buildings but it is also a very pretty campus to walk through (though when I went to the degree show it was a nightmare to find all the different bits).

Really, really good luck with your interview - I reckon you'll ace it :smile:
Village Whisper
I only went to the open day, but they seem to have a lot of different facilities. They're a bit spread out, though, so it's not like you could go from your studio space to the print making room/sculpture without having to do a bit of walking. The guy who showed us around said that most people get a studio space up in that big building with the sculpture on the side of it, and the spaces up there were pretty nice. Apparently it's not guaranteed though, and the other spaces are in an older-looking building that I think is out of the way a bit, near the sculpture room (which is outside). The printmaking room I think was in the main building, and I have a feeling that there was a room with a load of sewing machines in too.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful and I'm sure someone else can give you a much more detailed description! It seemed like they have all the standard facilities though. They might have more information on the website, if you haven't checked already?

Original post by KED
I missed the open day but a bunch of people from my college went there last year and the year before, I think they have all the usual workshops - one of the students who came to speak at our college raved about the textile facilities (she was on Fine Art). I think there is some difference between the fine art and the FA/HOA groups in terms of studio space and workshop time - Fine Art get priority (but dont quote me on that, it was from someone who went a couple of years ago so things might have changed, it was something that frustrated them)

The main building with the big sculpture on top is state of the art and full of light - great place for studios (I have a feeling FA/HOA might be in a different bit) - if you've seen the degree shows online you will have seen the main building which was where most of the exhibition was.

It is pretty spread out - a good walk between the different buildings but it is also a very pretty campus to walk through (though when I went to the degree show it was a nightmare to find all the different bits).

Really, really good luck with your interview - I reckon you'll ace it :smile:

Thankyou both so much for your answers that really helps, will continue reading on the website too.. does sound a bit of a maze!
All Sorted, can't do anything but wait for my grades...

Firm - Lancaster (ABB)
Insurance - LCA (Unconditional)

Still don't feel relieved... Need to get revising for my exams *sigh*
Original post by joelchan

Firm - Lancaster (ABB)

Ooh, sounds good :smile: Is LCA for foundation or BA? Good luck with your exams!
Original post by joelchan

Firm - Lancaster (ABB)

Ah, nearly there though, you're definitely going somewhere! Best wishes with exams :smile:
Reply 1491
Anyone know how many how many applicants Goldsmiths interview out of the thousand or so applicants?

wonder if there's really a chance, what I'm up against etc.
Shouldn't be thinking about this sort of thing but cant keep my mind off it
Original post by Soares
Anyone know how many how many applicants Goldsmiths interview out of the thousand or so applicants?

wonder if there's really a chance, what I'm up against etc.
Shouldn't be thinking about this sort of thing but cant keep my mind off it

It's 60 for the joint honours, and I think about 150 for the single.

The fabric facilities are AMAZING if you're interested in that, weaving, dyeing and embroidery, but they also have a big casting workshop, printing, woodwork, film, photography etc and lots of technicians. If you're interviewed in the Richard Hoggart building I think that's where the joint honours studios are, but if not the other building is lovely. Very light and airy and the spaces are pretty big. There are rooms to rent out for really large pieces/work too. Studios are open 7am til 7pm from what I remember, same for the workshops.

Just been looking at busaries and there are massive grants for carers, though I'm not sure that necessarily applies to you, thought it might be worth a mention.
Reply 1494
how many places?
Reply 1495
Original post by JWirz
how many places?

Do you really wanna know? We could all end up in fierce competition... joke:]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1496
Original post by JWirz
how many places?

Its either 60 or 90 I think
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
The fabric facilities are AMAZING if you're interested in that, weaving, dyeing and embroidery, but they also have a big casting workshop, printing, woodwork, film, photography etc and lots of technicians. If you're interviewed in the Richard Hoggart building I think that's where the joint honours studios are, but if not the other building is lovely. Very light and airy and the spaces are pretty big. There are rooms to rent out for really large pieces/work too. Studios are open 7am til 7pm from what I remember, same for the workshops.

Just been looking at busaries and there are massive grants for carers, though I'm not sure that necessarily applies to you, thought it might be worth a mention.

That sounds great- my interview's in the Richard Hoggart building. Thanks for that info yes I'm a carer.. not government recognized as such (my mums severely mentally ill but on the lowest rung of disability allowance) and she's dependent on me including financially.. so that is really useful to know.. do you know where that information can be found as I can't find it? Or is it part of student finance? But I'll search into it so thanks anyway. That's another huge factor if I can get help with that sort of thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1498
That sounds great- my interview's in the Richard Hoggart building. Thanks for that info yes I'm a carer.. not government recognized as such (my mums severely mentally ill but on the lowest rung of disability allowance) and she's dependent on me including financially.. so that is really useful to know.. do you know where that information can be found as I can't find it? Or is it part of student finance? But I'll search into it so thanks anyway. That's another huge factor if I can get help with that sort of thing.

http://www.gold.ac.uk/2012/funding/#d.en.30455 they're giving out loadssss

http://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/fees-funding/undergraduate-scholarships/ It's under the care leavers scholarship heading.

Quick Reply

Latest