The Student Room Group

3 New Cities Announced

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Snagprophet
How about city status for Swindon? Almost 200,000 people. This is an absolute joke.

They didnt bid for it. Their own fault.
Reply 41
Original post by Morgsie
Southampton and Brighton and Hove should be added too.

Thy're both already cities?
Reply 42
Original post by Mufasaa
Thy're both already cities?

I know that but they should be included on Shabalala's list
Reply 43
Original post by Morgsie
I know that but they should be included on Shabalala's list

Oops, sorry :tongue:
Original post by Tommyjw
They didnt bid for it. Their own fault.

Maybe my little village should bid for city status.
sorry i know this isnt related to this post or whatever but i really need help in what to pick for my GCSE's im in year nine and ive already selected my options but im not sure if they are good for my future. ive had several people tell me to choose french because im good at it but what advantage does this give me? im still not satisfied with citizenship and i've picked electronics to challence myself. i know most of the people who use this site have already have done their gcse choices so im looking for any valid advice. i would like to have a career in science when im older so i'll need advice for what i should choose that would be good for that field.any suggestions will really help. thank you.:smile:
a city is a city if its an important place, dont even kno where them 3 places are that OP has just said...
isnt perth in australia :/
Reply 47
Yes Chelmsford will have city status! :biggrin:
Original post by hahaff
a city is a city if its an important place, dont even kno where them 3 places are that OP has just said...

Perth was once the capital of Scotland. Historically it's an important city. Today? Doubt it.
Original post by hahaff

Isn't Boston and Washington in England?
Original post by Snagprophet
Isn't Boston and Washington in England?

is it really? I didnt know..
Reply 51
Original post by itsmyname
The Queen is trolling y'all

Reply 52
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Northampton is the 3rd largest town.

It goes Reading, Dudley (where the hell is that?) and then Northampton.

Shame, it can't even claim to be the largest town which was the only thing going for it.

I think dudley is in birmingham...
Reply 53
Original post by Angry cucumber
Why not Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Nottingham, Cambridge, Oxford, York, Coventry, Swindon etc???

:chaplin:

why not sunderland??
Reply 54
milton keynes?
massive town
Oh come the **** on.

Reading has a population about the same size as Leicester! It is a city in all but name now.

And if you want to go down the route of historical links triggering eligiblity for city status like the cathedral in St. Asaph, then restore Rochester's city status first FFS. Frankly there are some places too small to be seriously considered a historical or functional city: anywhere with a population of under 25,000 should be automatically disqualified from application.
Reply 56
So Reading will never gain city status because it lacks a cathedral? When crossrail opens Reading will serve direct trains into the city of London, west end etc so very much a town going places. I quite like the place - nice enough town centre, good for shopping, decent pubs and only 25mins into London.
Reply 57
Original post by Fusion
So Reading will never gain city status because it lacks a cathedral? When crossrail opens Reading will serve direct trains into the city of London, west end etc so very much a town going places. I quite like the place - nice enough town centre, good for shopping, decent pubs and only 25mins into London.

A City doesn't require a Cathedral.
Original post by jaja0202
why not sunderland??

The "etc" was meant to suggest that there were many more. To name all major areas of population would have taken more time than I have! :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Morgsie
I thought Reading would get it.

Poor Reading... missed it again and they've been trying for so long. :frown: Its all very odd... I mean Wells in Somerset with 10,000 people is technically a city. How is it decided?

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply