The Student Room Group

Plan B: 'Chav is a derogatory phrase'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hassi94
You could be dirt poor but that doesn't make you a chav. It's when you start causing trouble, disturbing the peace etc. that I'd call you a chav. So no, I wouldn't agree, sorry Plan B. You can't compare it to racism or sexism because being a chav is not ingrained into people, it's just people behaving like *****.

Depends how you look at it.

If you see a bloke in a tracksuit with his hood up walking down the street, and you cross over the other side as you think something might kick off, is that technically any worse than crossing the road because the person walking towards you is black and you think they'll mug you too?

Wearing a tracksuit doesn't make you a 'chav', that bloke might be the nicest, well spoken bloke going but i promise you that the majority of those on here wont see it like that.
I hate chavs. Lower class scum.
Reply 22
Original post by whyumadtho
Without the antisocial element, what makes the person a menace to society? I don't understand why the other points are even necessary. People who speak with regional dialects are not speaking in standard English. Who and what determines 'appropriate clothing'? They are in a public space and are wearing something they find appealing and comfortable.

You're correct to an extent. Just some words they use can be irritating if they take it to extremes - i.e. shouting, talking loudly into mobiles, greeting each other with 'oryt mate'

Original post by Besakt
Why are middle class children never referred to as chavs then? I know many middle class children coming from a private school that fit your description of a chav.

Where I'm from, I am aware of the type you're referring to. Also the term middle class is thrown around too carelessly - are you describing their parents' occupation (i.e. doctors, lawyers, businesspeople, middle management, etc.) or their income? Builders can earn a small fortune, it doesn't make them middle class. It just depends on a variety of factors.
Reply 23
Original post by Iron Lady
Where I'm from, I am aware of the type you're referring to. Also the term middle class is thrown around too carelessly - are you describing their parents' occupation (i.e. doctors, lawyers, businesspeople, middle management, etc.) or their income? Builders can earn a small fortune, it doesn't make them middle class. It just depends on a variety of factors.

Yes I am describing by their parents occupation, and to some extent their own income which is supplemented by their parents giving them very expensive gadgets, cars and money.
Reply 24
The word chav is rude and mean, not offensive. Since it refers to a filthy sub-culture of crime and anti-social behaviour, rather than a race, ethnicity, religion or anything else. In fact, more than anything, the word chav refers to an outlook on life, one of disrespect and disdain for the law, police and decent people in society in general, and therefore, while offensive, all it offends are people who deserve offfending!
Reply 25
I missed your edit:

Original post by Besakt
The people I see that are referred to as chavs are people who wear tracksuits and joggers and hang around in groups. I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever yet they are label chavs. Why?

It depends on their definition. Tracksuits should only be worn during sport, otherwise it creates a negative impression. Sorry, but it does.
Reply 26
I missed your edit:

It depends on their definition. Tracksuits should only be worn during sport, otherwise it creates a negative impression. Sorry, but it does.

So you judge people on the way they dress. :facepalm:

I wear joggers to the gym and tracksuits when I go for runs and don't bother changing sometimes does that mean I should be judged by people like you?
(edited 12 years ago)
You're correct to an extent. Just some words they use can be irritating if they take it to extremes - i.e. shouting, talking loudly into mobiles
They all fall under antisocial behaviour.

greeting each other with 'oryt mate'
This is a localised dialect and has no antisocial implications. It can be argued that anything that deviates from absolute formality is socially undesirable, which is nonsensical.
I agree that it's a derogatory term, but I don't think it equates to race or sex. Being chavvy is just an unpleasant, undesirable characteristic, and that can change very quickly, namely by not wearing tracksuits, not saying "****" every other word, not being generally anti-social etc. you get the idea.

What would it equate to, then? Hm...maybe calling someone a hipster/goth? Though it's not really a fashion trend. I don't know!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Besakt
Yes I am describing by their parents occupation, and to some extent their own income which is supplemented by their parents giving them very expensive gadgets, cars and money.

They may come across as arrogant or annoying, but it really depends on how they speak / dress / attitude towards others. To be honest, I know middle class people I'd describe as chav like. However, do they go around burning bus shelters? Shouting abuse at elderly people? Greeting each other with 'oryt mate, we were propah munted last nite!'? Have little ambition beyond their nights out? Etc. People do not discriminate towards the working class, they can be perfectly well-mannered, so they're not 'chavs'.
Original post by TheDannyManCan
I agree that it's a derogatory term, but I don't think it equates to race or sex. Being chavvy is just an unpleasant, undesirable characteristic, and that can change very quickly, namely by not wearing tracksuits, not saying "****" every other word, not being generally anti-social etc. you get the idea.

What would it equate to, then? Hm...maybe calling someone a hipster/goth? Though it's not really a fashion trend. I don't know!

What is wrong with wearing tracksuits?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Besakt
So you judge people on the way they dress. :facepalm:

I wear joggers to the gym and tracksuits when I go for runs and don't bother changing sometimes does that mean I should be judged by people like you?

Read what I said properly: tracksuits are appropiate attire for sport - only.

I don't know. Do you speak well and behave properly? Do you have ambition?
There is a lot of bitterness toward the lower classes on a predominately middle class, liberal TSR because in watching and hearing about the lives of these 'chavs' it becomes painfully apparent just how plump and comfortable their own lives are, more than anything it inspires fear, fear of the 'chavs' fear of the enviroment these 'chavs' live in and more than anything a fear that they could not handle or live in the enviroment these 'chavs' live in.

It brings forward the insecurities which exist within the flabby, molly-coddled classes. The exact same insecurities which bring out a hatred and bitterness toward soldiers and the armed forces who also ironically are labelled 'lower class' etcc... It is almost as if the cotton-wool wrapped middle classes are trying more than anything to convince themselves that they are better despite them being terrified of anything outside their comfortable liberal cocoon. :rolleyes:

When things take a turn for the worse, which will probably happen within our generation. The soft, obese middle classes will be eaten alive by the hungry and tough sections of our society and our world. But until that moment comes they will do little to prevent it bar sit in their comfortable chairs in their comfortable homes arguing on the internet and convinving themselves that they are not pathetic, but are in fact better than those they fear. :mmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
They may come across as arrogant or annoying, but it really depends on how they speak / dress / attitude towards others. To be honest, I know middle class people I'd describe as chav like. However, do they go around burning bus shelters? Shouting abuse at elderly people? Greeting each other with 'oryt mate, we were propah munted last nite!'? Have little ambition beyond their nights out? Etc. People do not discriminate towards the working class, they can be perfectly well-mannered, so they're not 'chavs'.

Yes they do burn bus shelters with cigarettes and lighters.
They do shout abuse at strangers.
No but they don't shut up about how pissed they got last night.
Yes some of them don't give a **** about their education as they can fall back on mummy and daddy.
Yet nobody has ever referred to these people as chavs.
Reply 34
Original post by whyumadtho
This is a localised dialect and has no antisocial implications. It can be argued that anything that deviates from absolute formality is socially undesirable, which is nonsensical.

Did I mention that they drop their Ts?
Original post by Besakt
Why are middle class children never referred to as chavs then? I know many middle class children coming from a private school that fit your description of a chav.
The people I see that are referred to as chavs are people who wear tracksuits and joggers and hang around in groups. I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever yet they are label chavs. Why?

I know plenty of middle class chavs, my school is full of them. I know of people with a caring stable family living in a nice house, who are uncontrollable menaces, they're antisocial and abusive and generally horrible, and they change their lives to fit the chav stereotype by wearing tracksuits and smoking and drinking cans of beer in public and playing **** music from their phone speakers just like every other chav.

The only difference between middle class chavs and lower class chavs is that middle class chavs have more expensive tracksuits. It's not about class it's about the culture, and a person can choose how they act.
Original post by rafimax
The word chav is rude and mean, not offensive. Since it refers to a filthy sub-culture of crime and anti-social behaviour, rather than a race, ethnicity, religion or anything else. In fact, more than anything, the word chav refers to an outlook on life, one of disrespect and disdain for the law, police and decent people in society in general, and therefore, while offensive, all it offends are people who deserve offfending!

You interpret it to mean an outlook on life, but this isn't how it is used. Anyone who looks like they they're poor/live in a certain area are assumed to have that outlook whether they do or not. How can you possibly know how they feel about those issues? This is the problem with the word chav - it attitudes negative characteristics to a whole class and pretend it only applies to a select group of those people and is therefore not offensive.
Reply 37

I don't know. Do you speak well and behave properly? Do you have ambition?

I have that is why I said I wear it for sports and then I don't bother changing (when I am not doing sport). Maybe you should read properly.

What is speaking properly? What is behaving properly?
Yes I have ambition, as do many people who wear tracksuits and hang around in groups and get referred to as chavs.
Reply 38
Do people still say chav? (apart from on here)

Lol. Why? Because you say so?

And there's something wrong with greeting friends in a certain way? Jesus, get a ****ing grip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending