Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got a few sample chapters from my story...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just need helpful insight and opinions, I take critique very seriously. If the story bores you, let me know. If you feel a character is pointless, let me know. I won't snap, I promise.

http://www.writing.com/main/view_ite...th-to-the-King

Basically its set in a fantasy realm where men have rifles and swords and monsters lurk but the main thread is main itself... Or so it seems. Kingdoms are fighting for power and control and trying to control slavery. In the background twins are going missing, mysteriously.

The same chapters will be a deserter soldier and a prince from the leading kingdom. There is also a prologue to give an insight into the backstory.

PS: theres 8100 words in 2 chapters there. the writing.com makes it look smaller than it is.

And my style is quite dark, so if you're faint of heart then avoid...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your story is depressingly good :L

Good on you.

SOOOO Impressed!
    Just posted a few paragraphs on my story which seems rather pathetic and dreary in comparison :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just read the prologue. I think you have an interesting story and idea but some of the writing is a little clunky. I think you must also be American which perhaps lends you a different style to what I would normally read. (Not a problem, just explaining my perspective).

You talk about the father being dressed 'eloquently', do you mean elegantly? Eloquence is more often used to describe speech.

Otherwise a couple of the images seemed slightly at odds with the fantasy setting.
    'His two sons looked clueless as if they were both asked to perform advanced calculus in front of their lord father.'
    And
    'The reindeer’s horns went straight through his throat and into the tree as if it was a knife stabbing into tofu. '

Basically I think you might do well to have a really close look at the writing style: Repetition of words, punctuation and choice of imagery; because as at the moment it distracts from the flow of the story. I really hope this doesn't discourage you from writing, as it is a great achievement to have done as much as you have and I hope you keep going with it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm english.

1) Yeah I meant elegantly, I should prob change that.. ha.
    2) Its a fantasy setting but its supposed to be set in a different type of fantasy setting, not like medieval times but like 1800s~ where calculus was cetainly around and prob tofu? Its not set in the same era where they are restricted to swords and bows.
    3) Well thanks a lot, i'll take on notice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    No, I'm english.
    Ok, apologies. Not sure how I got that impression.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else wanna give feedback? new link with updated stuff: http://www.writing.com/main/view_ite...to-the-Kingdom

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.