The Student Room Group

Live with my boyfriend in my dorm room?

It may sounds like a stupid question, but is there any chance I could live with my boyfriend in my dorm room? Officially or not officially (e.g. as a guest, or something)

I'll start my course in London this September and I'll move there with my boyfriend (from abroad). He's in the same age as me, and he's a university student in my home country, but he'll work in the UK. Of course we'd like to live together, but I don't want to miss out living in a hall.

Do you think there's any chance? I'm open for any ideas. :smile:
Reply 1
Permanently? No.
Original post by ddorie
It may sounds like a stupid question, but is there any chance I could live with my boyfriend in my dorm room? Officially or not officially (e.g. as a guest, or something)

I'll start my course in London this September and I'll move there with my boyfriend (from abroad). He's in the same age as me, and he's a university student in my home country, but he'll work in the UK. Of course we'd like to live together, but I don't want to miss out living in a hall.

Do you think there's any chance? I'm open for any ideas. :smile:

I do think most unis offer couples' accommodation and I do love love but ... sorry there's a but .. they tend not to be in halls. I reckon you should go halls - it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. I've met many people outside of halls who say they wish they could live in halls but I'm yet to meet someone who lives in halls who wishes they were at home or living in a privately rented house.

This aside, having your boyfriend around 24/7 could interfere with study and as a result put unnecessary strain on your relationship. You can always move in together in your second year if you still wish to. Hope whatever you decide on works out! :smile:

Forgot to mention - your boyf can always stay over for a few nights as a guest in your dorm room.
(edited 12 years ago)
You'd need to talk to your uni. But I doubt they'd find you acommodation in halls to live togethere... plus, at the risk of sounding patronizing, living together at uni is not always a good thing. If you have a row, there's nowhere to go to blow off steam.
The university is unlikely to be too keen on you permanently moving your bf into halls - for one thing, it will start to cause issues with council tax. Your flatmates may also be less keen - after all, it's an extra person making the flat more crowded and not paying any rent. If you fell out with one (or if they found out through other means), you could find them reporting you, your boyfriend out on the streets, and possibly you too, for breaking the terms of your contract.

I reckon that it would be better for your bf to move into a shared house nearby, and just stay overnight a few nights a week - unis are fine with that.
Reply 5
In some universities, the halls have large double bedrooms for couples (only one needs to be enrolled) so you could enquire about that possibility.

Quick Reply

Latest