The Student Room Group

Handing in Notice

I'm handing in my notice at work today giving them a week's notice. They introduced new contracts at the beginning of the year to everyone and asked them to give a month's notice. They didn't give one to me because they knew I would be leaving soon. The directgov website says that I am only required to give a week's notice - they won't be able to withhold any pay from me will they?
Reply 1
Any hours you've worked you would be paid for. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on it court for not paying you.
Reply 2
Original post by Tragic
Any hours you've worked you would be paid for. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on it court for not paying you.

Thanks Tragic, do you know much about holiday pay? I've built up a few days holiday in the last three months and would very much like to receive that pay as well.
If your contract states 1 week's notice then that is what you have to give.
Reply 4
Original post by hothedgehog
If your contract states 1 week's notice then that is what you have to give.

I don't have a contract, but I'm the only one - everyone else's says a month. However I looked over the directgov website and it said that the statutory minimum is only a week - I'm within my legal rights to give just a week aren't I?
Reply 5
Original post by stewe
I don't have a contract, but I'm the only one - everyone else's says a month. However I looked over the directgov website and it said that the statutory minimum is only a week - I'm within my legal rights to give just a week aren't I?

I think it would depend - just because you don't have a written contract doesn't mean you don't have a contract at all. Verbal agreements can also be contractually obliging (e.g. if they told you you would have to give a month's notice when you started).

See:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/employment_index_ew/contracts_of_employment.htm
Reply 6
We never agreed on a month's notice and they've never told me how much notice I actually have to give. A month is just what everyone else is required to give by their contract, but before they introduced the contract it was only a week.
Original post by stewe

I have no idea. How do you not have a contract anyway? That sounds really off. I would just chat to your boss about it anyway if you're unsure.
Reply 8
Original post by hothedgehog
I have no idea. How do you not have a contract anyway? That sounds really off. I would just chat to your boss about it anyway if you're unsure.

Because I told them when I started that I wouldn't be staying for very long, so they didn't give me a contract. I have stayed longer than I anticipated though.
Original post by stewe

You probably do have a contract, even if it isn't written. However, if they never said to you "you must give a month's notice before leaving" or something to that effect then the thing about the notice was, unless it was otherwise made patently obvious to you that that is how they always operate, not a term of your contract. If it wasn't, then the statutory limit of one week would apply.

I'd imagine they didn't give you their standard written contract because you'd be serving notice not long after joining them, if that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Handed it in yesterday, they didn't say anything! Yay!
Original post by stewe
Thanks Tragic, do you know much about holiday pay? I've built up a few days holiday in the last three months and would very much like to receive that pay as well.

I know at mcdonalds when you leave they give you any holiday which you have a accrued. I bet other places do similar things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending