The Student Room Group

Has your accent changed after starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raducan
I've got a friend who is from Aberdeen but has spent most of her life living in Saudi and the Netherlands, which has inexplicably resulted in a West Country twang. I haven't the heart to tell her as she's convinced she actually sounds Scottish... but she really doesn't!

Haha. Don't think I sound like that but you never know! My american friends say I sound Scottish, my Scottish friends say I sound English or American and my English friends say I sound american. It really confuses people at first. They can never work out where I am from haha.
If I end up with a York accent, I'm gonna cry.
Reply 62
My accent is very non-specific, which I find means I often pick up an accent of a person I'm talking to a little. I can go from being very Southern, to extremely Manc, through Wigan, Liverpool and, strangely, Birmingham (never even been!) in the space of a day.

It's great fun, particularly when the place I'm from bears no resemblance at all to my accent, which when it isn't picking up a regional accent, sits at generally Northern-ish.
Original post by jismith1989
Well, different languages have different phonemes (e.g. the French T is pronounced further forward in the mouth than in English, i.e. it's dental rather than alveolar), and these are things that are best picked up in youth -- otherwise you generally find it hard to change your mouth's natural way of articulating, or at least you tend to revert to it when you aren't consciously trying not to. Of course, you can get a more natural accent, but it usually requires a lot of effort and specific training, rather than being something you can just pick up like accents of the same language.

Besides, you don't want to get rid of that sexy French accent anyway. :hubba:

Hmmm, I didn't know that about the T. Thanks for the info!

Haha, it's my English accent in French that I'm trying to get rid of :wink:
Original post by AverageExcellence
Your accent wont change by studying 3 years at uni at the age of 18 and above, accents establish themselves from a young age.

Tell that to Tom Jones.
Reply 65
I've moved a lot, so I don't really have an accent that can tick a box, but I do think it has been becoming more northern since being at uni.
Reply 66
I think it has a little bit but my family disagree.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
I'm hopefully going to Bath uni. Praying I end up with a west country tinge.

My accent has gone a lot 'posher' since coming here. I dont live in 'baf' anymore, i live in 'barth'.
I was a bit brummy at home, then went slightly welsh in my first few weeks in Cardiff, before it settled down into quite a plain accent. everyone thought i was south coast, home counties.
Then Bath sent me a lot posher sounding, but Ive now got a boyfriend from shropshire. He doesnt have much of an accent but ive noticed my original accent is coming through a lot more ans im losing the posh edge id developed. probably all the travelling to shropshire.

When i speak to my bham friends, we go really brummy. We went on holiday last year - none of us have brummy accents now - and by the flight home you'd think we were from the black country!
Original post by fredscarecrow
My accent has gone a lot 'posher' since coming here. I dont live in 'baf' anymore, i live in 'barth'.
I was a bit brummy at home, then went slightly welsh in my first few weeks in Cardiff, before it settled down into quite a plain accent. everyone thought i was south coast, home counties.
Then Bath sent me a lot posher sounding, but Ive now got a boyfriend from shropshire. He doesnt have much of an accent but ive noticed my original accent is coming through a lot more ans im losing the posh edge id developed. probably all the travelling to shropshire.

When i speak to my bham friends, we go really brummy. We went on holiday last year - none of us have brummy accents now - and by the flight home you'd think we were from the black country!

So no west country at all?

p.s. please don't ruin my hopes and dreams.
Reply 69
No, but then I'm from Hertfordshire, and went to uni in Surrey. Not exactly a big difference :tongue:
Still sound northern but by christmas it had toned down, although when I came back it was really thick and people had trouble understanding me for a week or so.

I'd say I talk differently in terms of lexis, and I've dropped some of my northern sayings.
So no west country at all?

p.s. please don't ruin my hopes and dreams.

I moved from Cardiff to Bath for university and it send me from a fairly neutral (but distinctively Cardiff accent) to a very posh accent. I did hang around with a lot of locals but the majority of students were very middle class and so I just picked it up from them.

Sorry to bring it to you :p: But you never know! Buy a tractor... it could make it easier for you :biggrin:
I will always sounds like a farmer.
Reply 73
I got a bit more well spoken. Only a bit though.

Thankfully, I never had a Hull-slur/accent and my accent has always been quite neutral, so people don't always pin me down to any particular location when they first meet me. Though some will correctly assume that I'm from Yorkshire.
Mine didn't.
From Birmingham, Uni in Sheffield. Some people say I don't have much of an accent some can tell straight away, suppose thats down to misconceptions of what the brummie accent actually is.

I don't/ wont understand why people do it to be honest, is it embarrassment?
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I moved from Cardiff to Bath for university and it send me from a fairly neutral (but distinctively Cardiff accent) to a very posh accent. I did hang around with a lot of locals but the majority of students were very middle class and so I just picked it up from them.

Sorry to bring it to you :p: But you never know! Buy a tractor... it could make it easier for you :biggrin:

Nooo :frown:

Ah well, might not be bad to pick up a posher accent. Right now I have a weird mix of two because I hang out with a group of posh kids and train with a bunch of guys from local estates.

Seriously though, I'm mortified about the lack of west country accents going on in Bath.
Reply 76
I keep hearing about how posh Exeter uni is, and since I have a Bristolian accent, I'm wondering if my accent is going to be really obvious, or are there plenty of people who already live in Exeter who have a West Country accent anyway?

Nooo :frown:

Ah well, might not be bad to pick up a posher accent. Right now I have a weird mix of two because I hang out with a group of posh kids and train with a bunch of guys from local estates.

Seriously though, I'm mortified about the lack of west country accents going on in Bath.

Well, if you go for a day out in Bristol, you'll be able to hear our West Country/Bristolian accents there :biggrin: There's a bus that goes from Bath bus station to Bristol bus station in town (X39)
(edited 12 years ago)
yes i have become David Cameroon
Original post by Remarqable M
yes i have become David Cameroon

lawwwwl
Reply 79
Original post by Trailblazer
I'm not at uni yet but during the last year of 6th form my accent has become quite rah. It's quite funny really, originally I'm from West Yorkshire, but I've lived in Cheshire since 1999. My mum has quite an evident Yorkshire accent, my dad not so much.

It will be interesting to see how it develops further at university, I'd imagine my accent will become even more rah as a meet new people. They certainly are not fixed, to lesser or greater extents :smile:

I spent a week in America in February and by the end of it I was starting to sound American saying things like "buddy" or "man". I'd love a US accent. :cool:

I read this in a rah voice. :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest