The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paigerushbrook
Hi everyone,

My name's Paige and I am a second year Geography Student. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding accommodation, Social Science's Department, student life etc! :smile: I am also Station Manager at KCL Radio, been involved with Geography society etc and so I can help with any society queries and getting involved at King's! :smile:

I look forward to reading and responding to your questions!

Thanks, Paige :smile:

Basically want find out whats geography like at university, how are the homeworks set out, how will the exams be, and is it all essays?

By the way, I'm mainly interested in the human side of geography if that makes any difference. Would really appreciate it if you could provide some examples of questions or general homework so I could get some idea of whats geo going to be like. I know you're in the 2nd year, but have you been given any hints as to what the 3rd year would be like as well, any projects/major work?

and just finally, whats your personal impression of the geography/social science department at kings, feel you have enough contact time? are tutors easily avaliable? etc.

Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by ash911
hello again, quick questions

which intercollegiate hall is located closest to the Strand campus? withing walking distance preferably. also, is it possible to not get receive any accommodation offer at all (be it for a King's residence or intercollegiate hall)? i'm an international student and not getting a place to stay is one of my biggest worries..

Hi ash911

The intercollegiate halls are mainly located in an area of London called Bloomsbury. For example International Hall (which I where I lived when I did my MA) is located in Bloomsbury right next to Russell Square tube (which is on the Piccadilly line and in zone 1). Bloomsbury is about 2.5miles to the Strand campus from there and that would take about 25mins to walk (roughly). Alternatively there are tons of buses that would take you there (buses are pretty cheap too, about £1.40). Its a beautiful area of London, right next to the British Museum and lots of pretty gardens, and you feel very 'London-y' there!

In terms of being allocated accommodation. I'm afraid there is a chance that you might not be allocated accommodation in your first year (all King's students are guaranteed one year in halls, but unfortunately this might not be their first year). However, as you are an international student, this does put you at a higher priority so chances are that you will be lucky and get allocated a place.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :smile:

Fran
Original post by Red Richie
Basically want find out whats geography like at university, how are the homeworks set out, how will the exams be, and is it all essays?

By the way, I'm mainly interested in the human side of geography if that makes any difference. Would really appreciate it if you could provide some examples of questions or general homework so I could get some idea of whats geo going to be like. I know you're in the 2nd year, but have you been given any hints as to what the 3rd year would be like as well, any projects/major work?

and just finally, whats your personal impression of the geography/social science department at kings, feel you have enough contact time? are tutors easily avaliable? etc.

Hi Red Richie,

I'm afraid Paige isn't online with us today but I will ask her to take a look at your question when she gets a chance and hopefully she can get back to you on her experiences as a Geography student with us! :smile:

Thanks!

Fran :smile:

Me again! :smile:

Paige did answer some similar questions another Geography applicant had yesterday - check out post 415 to see whether that gives you a bit of an insight. If you need more info, I'm sure Paige would be happy to help when she gets chance! :smile:

Cheers

Fran
Original post by King’s College London
Me again! :smile:

Paige did answer some similar questions another Geography applicant had yesterday - check out post 415 to see whether that gives you a bit of an insight. If you need more info, I'm sure Paige would be happy to help when she gets chance! :smile:

Cheers

Fran

oh thanks, I've read that post before, done a search for the term 'geography' on this whole thread and read all the posts including that one you mentioned. Its okay, this isn't like an urgent enquiry or anything, she can get back to me whenever she's free. thanks for letting me know though
Reply 485
Hi again, the gym was one of the first things I checked out after getting my offer xD along with accommodation etc
I've looked into it alot already so that's about it from me. Just one thing i noticed the open day is at Guys campus not Strands... How can I get from Waterloo to Guys ? :smile: Thanks alot for everything else, I'll make sure I make a list of necessary questions !
( my virtual shop is about £40 so I think I need to reduce the amount of food I eat.. :wink: )
Original post by Lotte P
Hi K.H,

No problem! I'm realy enjoying responding to all of the questions! :smile:

I honestly think the best thing you can do is to have alook at prices of food on the internet. You can do a virtual shop and see what your shoping trolley will cost. You don't actually have to buy anything, just see what the prices are.

My bill changes depending on what I want and how late it is in the term. I often spend arounf £30 a week.

I'm afraid I don't know the exact bill of anyone who does as much sport as you! We do have a student gym called Kinetic though which is run by the student union. They have advisers and nutrionalists as well, I think, who may be useful for you. You can find info here: http://www.kclsu.org/page.asp?section=132&sectionTitle=Kinetic

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask anymore questions,

Charlotte
Reply 486
Original post by K.H
Hi again, the gym was one of the first things I checked out after getting my offer xD along with accommodation etc
I've looked into it alot already so that's about it from me. Just one thing i noticed the open day is at Guys campus not Strands... How can I get from Waterloo to Guys ? :smile: Thanks alot for everything else, I'll make sure I make a list of necessary questions !
( my virtual shop is about £40 so I think I need to reduce the amount of food I eat.. :wink: )

Hey K.H,

I would personally recommend you just get the Tube to Guy's! From Waterloo to London Bridge, it takes 3 minutes on the Jubilee Line. For more information on getting to Guy's Campus, take a look at this page! - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/campuses/directions/guys.aspx

- Ben
Reply 487
Hi everyone,

Our open week has come to the very last shift. I would be happy to use the upcoming few hours answering any questions you still have!
Just to recap, I am a first year Business Management student living in an intercollegiate hall, being actively involved in SIFE and studying abroad next year. I am totally loving it and I know you guys would love it too:smile:

erklam from the King's team
Reply 488
Hello people,

So it's the last shift! I'm looking forward to answering some more questions from you before the Open Week is over.

Once again, I'm Ben, I study English Language & Literature BA and I do the AKC, as well as editing for Roar! Newspaper.

Ask away! :smile:
Reply 489
Original post by sandrog33
Hi there,

I'm going to study English Language and Communication at King's!!
There is second year module called Modern Foreign Language, but it might not be taught on the same level as all your other modules depending on your language skills.
Can I take a language course (Level 4) in my first year and continue with it in my second year (Level 5) as part of my modules?

And: Is it possible to take an additional module offered by a department other than mine?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Sandrog33,

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your offer!
I had a quick look at the course structure of your programme in the King's online prospectus (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/structure/name/english-language-and-communication/alpha/E/header_search/) and it seemed to me that in your first year, you will concentrate on the course modules that do not include a foreign language. In your second and third year, you will be able to choose a foreign language as an elective and you will get credit for completing the course. You can definitely start at whichever level you are when you sign up, they quickly measure you level and you can also have a say in which level you’d like to be placed at.

This doesn’t mean that you couldn’t learn a foreign language in your first year but, most likely, you would have to pay for it (see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/mlc/modules/fees.aspx). But, just to be sure, you could double check with the department via [email protected] or +44 (0)20 7848 3183.

I hope this helps:smile:
erklam from the King’s team
Hi everyone,

So we've now come to the end of our live Open Week on The Student Room! We've had fab questions all week so thank you to all of you who have got involved, and to those who have just been reading the posts, we hope you've found the forum helpful and informative. The King's staff and current students have really enjoyed answering your questions over the past week and we really hope you've got a little taste of what its like to study at King's and get the information you need on what's important to you!

After today we won't be answering your questions in real time, but we will be checking into The Student Room regularly so continue to ask your questions, we just may not be able to respond straightaway. Check out our Official Representative profile to drop us a line: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=891460

For those who hold an offer with King's to start with us in September 2012, please keep checking myApplication and any paper documentation you receive for more details over the coming months and for links to our special offer holder events which you can be part of.

For those who are getting ready to apply for university for the next academic year, 2013, look our for our open days if you can travel to King's (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/visit/index.aspx), and you'll be pleased to hear that we will be running another live Open Week in the autumn (likely to be September/October) so keep checking back on The Student Room for more details, and get thinking about your questions!

So to all those awaiting A level results GOOD LUCK! We really hope to be welcoming you to King's in September 2012! To all those who want to find out a bit more about King's and hopefully join us in the future, we look forward to chatting to you more in the future!

Bye for now!

Fran and the King's Team! : )
Reply 491
Many thanks KCL for answering all of these questions.

Hi Red Richie,

Thank you for your questions! :smile:

Okay so geography at university is different to school because lecturers are key in their fields and so are very knowledgeable and passionate about their topic. In your second and third year at King’s you will have 2 compulsory modules and the rest you will pick yourself, which is great as you can select modules that you are interested in! :smile: You can focus on human, physical or select modules from both. The good thing at Kings is if you first apply to do BA as you feel you are more a human geographer you are able to change at the end of your first year/beginning of second if you have changed your mind and want to do BSc and vice versa.

In your first year you will not select any modules. You will do a mixture of both human and physical but this is to bring everyone up to the same level! :smile: When I was in first year I had assignments roughly every 3 to 4 weeks. Occasionally you will have a time when the work load is more and others when you do not have as much to do. I did numerous essays on first year but here are a few topics I did them on: invasive species, colonialism, floods, globalisation and a sustainability diary. Throughout the year you will do independent study, reading the textbooks/ journals they advise.

Third year will probably be the hardest year, it is what counts most towards your overall degree. There will be a compulsory module, you will undertake an Independent Geographical Study (IGS) which is a 10, 000 word report on anything you wish! Then you will select 5 other modules. Also consider that with geography you can sometimes select 1 or 2 modules outside of your department e.g. philosophy. The IGS may sound a lot but you are allocated a supervisor and it will actually be fun studying and conducting your own research on something you can choose! :smile:

In your second year at Kings you will also go on a weeks fieldtrip to either Paris, Morocco, San Francisco or India. I went to India and it was incredible, best trip I have ever been on! It is something to definitely look forward to! :smile:
Regarding exams I had all my first year exams in the summer however, the first years this year had one exam in January as well, as they felt it was best to break down the exams. This year again all my exams are in the summer however, physical geographers had one exam in January. Exams vary depending on subject e.g. could be part multiple choice, short essays, unseen essay exams or seen exam essays (whether you get informed of the question or not), and some online. In second and third year modules some are 100% examinations but others are 100% coursework, and therefore no examinations and others are split e.g. 50:50 or 75:25

At Kings in your first year there is approximately 6-10 hours contact time a week, which at first I thought was little but then with assignments and reading you need to do you will be busy when you are not in lectures or tutorials! In second year you will notice a change again as your contact hours will increase a lot, for example I was in up to 5 hours a day. It again depends on what modules you select etc. Regarding tutors etc. everyone is easily accessible, you can always email a tutor and they will get back to you within a few days, usually the same or next day. They are always happy to meet up if you have any problems, queries with grades, questions to ask etc. Also, every lecturer in the geography department has 1 hour a week where students can just knock on their office without emailing or asking before-hand. This is again if you have any queries, and it is very helpful. You can even go in a group if a few of you have the same question/ problem.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Paige :smile:
Original post by Paigerushbrook
Hi Red Richie,

Thank you for your questions! :smile:

Okay so geography at university is different to school because lecturers are key in their fields and so are very knowledgeable and passionate about their topic. In your second and third year at King’s you will have 2 compulsory modules and the rest you will pick yourself, which is great as you can select modules that you are interested in! :smile: You can focus on human, physical or select modules from both. The good thing at Kings is if you first apply to do BA as you feel you are more a human geographer you are able to change at the end of your first year/beginning of second if you have changed your mind and want to do BSc and vice versa.

In your first year you will not select any modules. You will do a mixture of both human and physical but this is to bring everyone up to the same level! :smile: When I was in first year I had assignments roughly every 3 to 4 weeks. Occasionally you will have a time when the work load is more and others when you do not have as much to do. I did numerous essays on first year but here are a few topics I did them on: invasive species, colonialism, floods, globalisation and a sustainability diary. Throughout the year you will do independent study, reading the textbooks/ journals they advise.

Third year will probably be the hardest year, it is what counts most towards your overall degree. There will be a compulsory module, you will undertake an Independent Geographical Study (IGS) which is a 10, 000 word report on anything you wish! Then you will select 5 other modules. Also consider that with geography you can sometimes select 1 or 2 modules outside of your department e.g. philosophy. The IGS may sound a lot but you are allocated a supervisor and it will actually be fun studying and conducting your own research on something you can choose! :smile:

In your second year at Kings you will also go on a weeks fieldtrip to either Paris, Morocco, San Francisco or India. I went to India and it was incredible, best trip I have ever been on! It is something to definitely look forward to! :smile:
Regarding exams I had all my first year exams in the summer however, the first years this year had one exam in January as well, as they felt it was best to break down the exams. This year again all my exams are in the summer however, physical geographers had one exam in January. Exams vary depending on subject e.g. could be part multiple choice, short essays, unseen essay exams or seen exam essays (whether you get informed of the question or not), and some online. In second and third year modules some are 100% examinations but others are 100% coursework, and therefore no examinations and others are split e.g. 50:50 or 75:25

At Kings in your first year there is approximately 6-10 hours contact time a week, which at first I thought was little but then with assignments and reading you need to do you will be busy when you are not in lectures or tutorials! In second year you will notice a change again as your contact hours will increase a lot, for example I was in up to 5 hours a day. It again depends on what modules you select etc. Regarding tutors etc. everyone is easily accessible, you can always email a tutor and they will get back to you within a few days, usually the same or next day. They are always happy to meet up if you have any problems, queries with grades, questions to ask etc. Also, every lecturer in the geography department has 1 hour a week where students can just knock on their office without emailing or asking before-hand. This is again if you have any queries, and it is very helpful. You can even go in a group if a few of you have the same question/ problem.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Paige :smile:

Thank you very much for that very informative reply :smile:, and thanks for taking the time to do so!!
Reply 494
are there any loans, scholarships for living costs for EU students?
Original post by AceS4
are there any loans, scholarships for living costs for EU students?

Hi AceS4

Thanks for your question. You don't mention which country you are from so its hard to be specific; but as you are from the EU you are eligible to apply for a student loan for tuition fees, scholarships and bursaries, there are more details on this page on the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/2012-13/index.aspx

However I would probably advise that you contact the Fees & Funding office at King's directly to discuss your specific circumstances as they will be able to supply you with the most up to date information. You can reach them via email ([email protected]) or on the following numbers: 020 7848 4362 or 020 7848 4363 or 020 7848 4471.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Fran
Hi,
I just found out about Moonraker Point, just wondering... is this a separate set of accomodation which anyone could get a room in? I live within the M25 and I understand I'm not guaranteed accomodation, but if I applied to Moonraker Point is this independent of this rule because it is not solely for KCL? Also would I rank it along with other KCL accomodation or would I apply separately for it?
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
Hi,
I just found out about Moonraker Point, just wondering... is this a separate set of accomodation which anyone could get a room in? I live within the M25 and I understand I'm not guaranteed accomodation, but if I applied to Moonraker Point is this independent of this rule because it is not solely for KCL? Also would I rank it along with other KCL accomodation or would I apply separately for it?

Hi <3 inbetweener =D

Moonraker Point is our nominated Residence with Unite and, as such, all applications for this residence must be made via the King’s Accommodation Services Office in the usual way e.g. apply via the online facility listing Moonraker as a preference.

Unfortunately this means that the same rules apply for living within the M25 for Moonraker.

However you can apply direct to Unite or other 3rd Party Provider, but it would have to be for the non-nominated Residences (i.e. not Moonraker Point). If you applied for a non-nominated residence, it would be much less likely that you would be living with anyone from King's, plus they may still have their own rules about applicants from within the M25, but you would need to discuss this directly with that organisation.

Hope this helps

Fran
Reply 498
Are people doing healthcare courses more likely to get their top choices for accommodation? I'm just wondering because I've been told this is the case for some universities :smile:
Reply 499
hey ! soooo about the personal statement, ive read it can only be 4000 characters? is this true ? cause mine's a little longer (say around 5000 characters with spaces......)will that be a problem ? or is it different for postgraduate ?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest