The Student Room Group

Realistic Route to becoming an Investment Banker?

post removed
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not take economics and math at A Level? ( Ignore this if your already half way through the year ).

I think your plan sounds good although if you somehow do manage to pick up math you can do a B.A in Econ at ug. Econ majors usually get a year in industry aswell, a bank if you wish. As for your MBA if you do it at Judge, Said or LBS your pretty much set for your field at investment banking.

Honestly, though I am wondering why you didnt try the Economics, Math, Business combination of A Levels as it seems to suit you.

As for your university undergad choices they are fine.. you can always aim higher if your results exceed expectations.

Also, your username reminds me of Patrick Bateman - He looked quite good living the life in his Wall Street firm ;p
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
All sounds very sensible (up to the MBA which might be a bit too far in the future to plan). Not sure if Bath would do it, but there's always the option of picking up some finance / economics / accounting 101-type classes in your first year if you're feeling a little "light" on the technical side.

I hope the others on here agree though that experience will be key, regardless of university and course. The sandwich year will be useful if you can get banking experience, but there's nothing quite like experience which you've sourced yourself (and excelled at) to impress HR or a recruiter.

Make a plan to reach out to any friends or family in the industry early on, and start the slow process of getting up to speed with financial news as soon as possible - it'll all be helpful come interview season.

Bb^
Reply 3
Considered WBS?

Brand name is important and you ideally wanted to end up in Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick. Out of those UCL/Warwick are definitely possible. Since you are doing AS now, maybe take up maths AS level next year, if you are committed you could even take the whole A-level in a year. Should be pretty easy to do Maths (full A level) + 2 of /Business/History/English in a year.

Going to a target will make things easier, then again you are in the privileged position of knowing what you want to do before uni.
Reply 4
Original post by miml
Considered WBS?

Brand name is important and you ideally wanted to end up in Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick. Out of those UCL/Warwick are definitely possible. Since you are doing AS now, maybe take up maths AS level next year, if you are committed you could even take the whole A-level in a year. Should be pretty easy to do Maths (full A level) + 2 of /Business/History/English in a year.

Going to a target will make things easier, then again you are in the privileged position of knowing what you want to do before uni.

just wondering what is WBS?
Reply 5
I would echo the advice of taking up A level maths ASAP. And then go on to take a more quantitative course at uni. I'm not sure about business management, but business studies isn't highly regarded in the IB arena.

A very big advantage for you is that you know what career you are aiming for already. You therefore have up to 4-5 years in order to ensure it happens - something which should put you ahead of the i-just-graduated-and-decided-i-want-to-be-rich folks.

Also, AAA for business at Aston? Grade inflation wtf?
Reply 6
Original post by non
just wondering what is WBS?

Sorry, Warwick Business School.
Reply 7
Original post by Alpha5
Hi, I'm interested in S&T/FICC roles but am worried about the mathematical requirement. I've got an offer for LSE Accounting and Finance- there's plenty of finance/ Accounting modules and loads of Economics. 1st year modules are pretty much the same as Economics Bsc...although I can make the degree quite mathematical by picking quantitative/ statistics modules do you think prospective employers will get out off by the degree name - Accounting and Finance?
I know I have asked a silly question, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Thanks

Which degree do you think is more quantitative A & F or Economics?
Reply 8
Original post by salmon1
I would echo the advice of taking up A level maths ASAP. And then go on to take a more quantitative course at uni. I'm not sure about business management, but business studies isn't highly regarded in the IB arena.

I second this. After doing work experience in an investment bank, I can't stress enough the importance of Maths. You should aim to complete an A-level at the very least, as most obvious courses leading onto investment banking will demand you build upon a lot of the A-level course. If for whatever reason you can't do this, try to get your head around logarithms, exponential functions, differentiation, and simultaneous equations. Otherwise you're going to be two or even three steps behind others starting the course.
Reply 9
Original post by non

I have friends who do A&F and although I see them tackling a lot of equations and ratios, I think Economics is more mathematical provided you choose the math related modules of course such as Econometrics, Mathematical Econ etc.

But from what I've heard, anybody can get into IB such as someone who has done a Biology degree.
Original post by TGH1
I second this. After doing work experience in an investment bank, I can't stress enough the importance of Maths. You should aim to complete an A-level at the very least, as most obvious courses leading onto investment banking will demand you build upon a lot of the A-level course. If for whatever reason you can't do this, try to get your head around logarithms, exponential functions, differentiation, and simultaneous equations. Otherwise you're going to be two or even three steps behind others starting the course.

Is this actually true? From what I hear its only roles such as S&T or M&A where you need that level of Maths knowledge, and being numerate and comfortable with numbers will suffice for IBD?
Reply 11
Original post by non

Definitely Economics BSc, but do you guys think LSE A&F is quantatitive enough for S&T/FICC roles? I think it should be fine, you?
Some companies offer 6 month internships for gap year students, perhaps look at one of these? They set you up well financially for university and look fantastic when you apply for first/second year schemes. You don't need to do one of these but it sets you apart from other applicants so might be worth looking at x
Reply 13
Original post by hardy_4_paws
Some companies offer 6 month internships for gap year students, perhaps look at one of these? They set you up well financially for university and look fantastic when you apply for first/second year schemes. You don't need to do one of these but it sets you apart from other applicants so might be worth looking at x

which banks offer those because i have checked lots of websites and they seem like they are only for first years.
Reply 14
Original post by Tsunami2011
Is this actually true? From what I hear its only roles such as S&T or M&A where you need that level of Maths knowledge, and being numerate and comfortable with numbers will suffice for IBD?

Would you want to narrow your options this early on, though?
Original post by non
which banks offer those because i have checked lots of websites and they seem like they are only for first years.

Here's one;
http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/VacationProgramme/GapYearProgramme_(6816).aspx?pg=6816
To be honest that's a pretty poor choice of A-level subjects if you're aiming at doing a Business/Economics degree and going into Finance.

Two art subjects and a 'soft' version of the Econ A-level (i.e. Business) aren't optimal for your target course and universities but provided your grades and personal statement are good you should be fine. And like previous posters I would also recommend taking Maths AS-Level at least.

Nottingham and Cass are decent universities but I would probably substitute Bath with a more ambitious choice such as Warwick/UCL as miml suggested.

As for the course choice, I would go for a 3 year Economics degree rather than 4 year Business Management. Like you said, the lack of a Maths A level put you at a disadvantage so unless you are prepared to address that, at least apply for a 3 year Business degree. The year in industry is arguably redundant when it comes to getting into IB as you'll be aiming to pick up work experience in the form of Spring weeks and Summer internships during your degree anyway.

Original post by Alpha5
Definitely Economics BSc, but do you guys think LSE A&F is quantatitive enough for S&T/FICC roles? I think it should be fine, you?

Although not as prestigious as BSc Econ, A&F is still sufficiently rigorous in terms of math content in my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
eng lit and history are art subjects but they aren't bad but i doubt you will be able to get into many different roles in an ib because you didn't take a level maths.
Reply 19
Original post by non
eng lit and history are art subjects but they aren't bad but i doubt you will be able to get into many different roles in an ib because you didn't take a level maths.

Oh please shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending