The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by bluelightz
Yeah that would be great experience! Haha yeah good to act on impulses!!

I don't think I'd enjoy Scotland though lol and oz has never really appealed! But if I don't get in I'm gona be a first responder and get a care job, and then re apply for perhaps California... or London again and various uni's here. I don't know how quals and skills translate over in the US though so quite confusing, need to research.

Don`t consider it to be easy - going to the US is nothing you`d do just on your year out.
Nowadays it`s really hard to get a Green Card without a job, but you won`t get a job without a green card - go figure.
In the overall cases, as far as I know, skills are not transferrable into the US, at least when it comes to EMS. Even if you are already an HPC approved Para, yòu`d most likely need to retake the NREMT-P (and as a pre-requisite the whole course) to be eligible to work as a Paramedic in the US.

Saying that, if you consider making the training in the US, it might be hard to get approved by the HPC if you think about moving back to Britain. Although the US has mostly a wider scope of practice than the UK, their educational curriculum in most places is rather thin, compared to England.

Australia is a nice place to work in EMS, from what I`ve heard. Good job conditions, decent scope of practice and the climate is great, too. :biggrin:

EDIT: Since you said California. As far as I remember, CAL is one of those states that are mostly Fire led, meaning you`d need to get a Firefighter training, too, to get a (good paid) job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2501
Original post by ~Justin~
Research it :wink:

not very helpful Justin. :confused:

May I suggest the Bradley Report and your region ambulance website for information.
Reply 2502
Original post by ShockableVF
I'm looking forward to Wednesday at George's :smile: fortunately I shall be able to attend (I was in a serious road traffic accident yesterday involving a bus). For anyone going to George's if you want to hazard a guess as to who I am then my clue to you is I wear an orange ice watch :wink:

Glad to hear you're ok! If you want to know who I am, you can just ask my name :tongue:

Original post by xxstephxx
I had similar experience with cfr...i know a few other people who have become cfrs and it took ages for them too! x

Good to know it's not just me then! Shame it does take them so long, people here were starting to drop out because they weren't getting anything, I think it's a test to see how committed you are!
Reply 2503
Original post by Ruth01
Community responding is great experience, in fact it's probably what got me all of my interviews. However, it took me 18 months from joining the group to qualifying! I don't think this is the norm, but be prepared for a bit of a wait and to do lots of chasing! But lets hope you do get a place this year and don't have to go that route :smile:

18 months?! Took me about 2 months. The only bit of waiting I had to do was for my GP to confirm I didn't have any diseases I could spread...
I definitely agree that it's been a huge contributing factor for getting interviews/offers. 100% recommend it to anybody who can do it!
Original post by graemeb
not very helpful Justin. :confused:

May I suggest the Bradley Report and your region ambulance website for information.

Its quite adequate advice, everyone has researched their own material for interviews and there is a lot in this thread.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UK+Ambulance+News+Stories

http://www.hpc-uk.org/
https://www.collegeofparamedics.co.uk/home/
http://www.jrcalc.org.uk/
http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/AmbulanceTrustListing.aspx
Reply 2505
Original post by Alex27
18 months?! Took me about 2 months. The only bit of waiting I had to do was for my GP to confirm I didn't have any diseases I could spread...
I definitely agree that it's been a huge contributing factor for getting interviews/offers. 100% recommend it to anybody who can do it!

Well, they obviously didn't like the look of me :wink:
Reply 2506
Original post by Gue-Gumz
I havent heard yet and my interview was on 15th Feb! Its driving me absolutely insane!! When was your interview?

:smile: I know the feeling. My interview was on the 20th Jan, though no news is good news...trying not to let the wait drive me too insane...oops too late :wink:. Good luck to u, I will keep my fingers crossed
Reply 2507
Haha!! Tell me about it! Yeh I was told on the phone earlier that they are currently looking at giving out offers. Where else have you applied to? xx
Reply 2508
Original post by Gue-Gumz
Actually going out of my mind waiting to hear from plymouth. rang them earlier and apparently they are in the process of handing out offers so people will be hearing soon. Good luck for anyone who wants Plymouth as badly as I do!!!:smile:

Did they say whether it would be this week or next week? Waited for a while now but got my fingers crossed we hear good news :smile:
Reply 2509
Has anyone heard from northampton yet ??
Reply 2510
Original post by EIG

I think I heard from someone that Northampton isn't giving out offers until everyone has been interviewed? And my interview is tomorrow, so they obviously haven't finished yet!
Reply 2511
Original post by ryank123
Anyone got an offer from coventry?

me a couple of weeks ago
Original post by EIG

Heard of a few people that have had rejections but not sure whether anyone's had offers. Think they're interviewing til the end of march so shouldn't imagine they will start giving out offers until their interviews are all finished
Original post by Ruth01
Glad to hear you're ok! If you want to know who I am, you can just ask my name :tongue:

Thanks, i just about managed to avoid decapitation but that's a story i may share with you on wednesday!

By any chance was your interview at Georges on the 15th feb?
Reply 2514
Original post by Ruth01
I think I heard from someone that Northampton isn't giving out offers until everyone has been interviewed? And my interview is tomorrow, so they obviously haven't finished yet!

didnt realise they were still interviewing ,ive heard that some people have been unsuccessful but not heard anyone with an offer i had my interview the beginning of dec going out of my mind although they did say no news is good news ,
Original post by EIG

I'm still waiting to hear from Northampton, my interview was in November. I too know people who've had uncucsesfuls. I too have an offer from Coventry! Where do you want to go?
Reply 2516
Original post by Anyastasia
I'm still waiting to hear from Northampton, my interview was in November. I too know people who've had uncucsesfuls. I too have an offer from Coventry! Where do you want to go?

i want to accept coventry but dont want to withdraw my application from northampton just because im curious , how about you
Hey, just a quick post! Tomorrow is northamtons last day of interviews, I am with those people getting interviewed tomorrow! Waiting for my flight out now! Also word on the street is that we should have heard by the 30th of this month about offers! Just a quick question, dress code for northamton interview what are people wearing! A quick answer would be great! Nerves are setting in! Who else has interview tomorrow?!
Mike
Reply 2518
Original post by mikesimp19
Hey, just a quick posi t! Tomorrow is northamtons last day of interviews, I am with those people getting interviewed tomorrow! Waiting for my flight out now! Also word on the street is that we should have heard by the 30th of this month about offers! Just a quick question, dress code for northamton interview what are people wearing! A quick answer would be great! Nerves are setting in! Who else has interview tomorrow?!
Mike

i went to northampton in dec i went smart but casual its very relaxed the interview was sat on a sofa
Reply 2519
Original post by ShockableVF
Thanks, i just about managed to avoid decapitation but that's a story i may share with you on wednesday!

By any chance was your interview at Georges on the 15th feb?

Oh dear, I look forward to hearing it! I was the 15th feb yeah

Original post by mikesimp19
Hey, just a quick post! Tomorrow is northamtons last day of interviews, I am with those people getting interviewed tomorrow! Waiting for my flight out now! Also word on the street is that we should have heard by the 30th of this month about offers! Just a quick question, dress code for northamton interview what are people wearing! A quick answer would be great! Nerves are setting in! Who else has interview tomorrow?!
Mike

I'm at Northampton tomorrow, 3:30 is my interview time. Dress code is formal, so suit if you have one.

Latest