Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Plymouth Freshers 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've just accepted my offer to start art Plymouth uni next year, and was hoping to meet some fellow fresher's on here! I've previously lived in Plymouth when I was at university there in 2010, so know the area fairly well and already have friends there. So I'm also happy to answer any questions people considering going down there have

Sophie.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I accepted my offer a few day ago too.

Were's the best place to live then?? In your opinion
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm taking a top-up degree in Film in September and will be staying in Discovery Heights. I'm from Cornwall and have only been to Plymouth on days out a few times.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I accepted my unconditional offer for Animal Behaviour and Welfare ages ago it seems. Just can't wait now. Hopefully we can apply for the accommodation soon I would love to be able to afford Discovery Heights but unfortunately i have to eat aswell haha. Im 20 so a late starter and from Birmingham if anyone's interested haha. See you all in September
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRounding1)
    Hey,

I've just accepted my offer to start art Plymouth uni next year, and was hoping to meet some fellow fresher's on here! I've previously lived in Plymouth when I was at university there in 2010, so know the area fairly well and already have friends there. So I'm also happy to answer any questions people considering going down there have

Sophie.
    I have also just accepted my offer for plymouth in september, i have tried to research everything about the area but its pretty hard living 4 and a half hours away! What's the nightlife like down there? are people up for wild clubbing nights or is it more pub orientated? I do like to party ha!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah I had that same problem before I originally went down, being from near Liverpool it was pretty hard to find information. But I've never had a problem with the night life, there are some pretty good clubs, including a Vodka Revs, Walkabout and an Oceana, and the SU is really good if you like that sort of thing. Personally I prefer going to a bar/pub, which I can highly recommend the North Hill area for. Places there don't tend to shut until really late, drinks are cheap if you go to to the right places, I can give you more detailed information about where's best to go if you'd like haha. I also love to go out so I have plenty of experience in that area!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    I accepted my offer a few day ago too.

Were's the best place to live then?? In your opinion
    I lived in St Jude's when I was there and that was good, because it was close to the town, but also pretty quiet, I've heard Mutley Plain is pretty good too, they're both pretty much equal distances from the university
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowanjames)
    I accepted my unconditional offer for Animal Behaviour and Welfare ages ago it seems. Just can't wait now. Hopefully we can apply for the accommodation soon I would love to be able to afford Discovery Heights but unfortunately i have to eat aswell haha. Im 20 so a late starter and from Birmingham if anyone's interested haha. See you all in September
    I'm doing Animal Behaviour and Welfare too, and I've just turned 20 as well so you won't be the only late starter haha!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah I had that same problem before I originally went down, being from near Liverpool it was pretty hard to find information. But I've never had a problem with the night life, there are some pretty good clubs, including a Vodka Revs, Walkabout and an Oceana, and the SU is really good if you like that sort of thing. Personally I prefer going to a bar/pub, which I can highly recommend the North Hill area for. Places there don't tend to shut until really late, drinks are cheap if you go to to the right places, I can give you more detailed information about where's best to go if you'd like haha. I also love to go out so I have plenty of experience in that area!
    well i come from a town where there is only one half-decent club that isn't over 21s which gives no choice concidering im 18! That sounds good I do love to dance when ive been drinking Yeah that would be cool, could you tell me a bit about the clubbing scene? are there lots of chavs there? The area I live in is full of people looking for a fight and I chose Plymouth thinking i could get away from people like that. We'll have to party in September ha! I'll show you how we do it up here
    Are people up for a hardcore night of drinking? I can deal with a few quiet drink nights but I have to have a night to go crazy! I did try asking students at the open day but the parents of other potential students shunned me so the plymouth students didnt really say much. other then a 'jazz bar' which really isnt my thing....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha well the clubs I mentioned, so Revolution, Oceana, Walkabout and the SU are all good if you want to dance, there's also a place called C103 which has a pretty decent student night on a Wednesday. That, Revolution and Walkabout are all on/around the Union Street area, which has had a bad reputation with the sailors, but I've never had an issue with it, or heard of one haha. No there aren't many chavs or people looking for a fight at all. Haha yeah we should do, it'd be good Yeah, as much as anywhere I would have thought haha, generally when I go out we don't get back until 5, 6 in the morning so it stays open pretty late
    Yeah, I've heard of Jazz Bar but haven't personally been because it doesn't seem like my kind of place and is on Mutley Plain if I remember correctly, which is pretty expensive...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - Just joined

Got an offer for biomedical science at the uni of plymouth
    took a gap year , so ill be 20 when I start in september !!

Anyone of you guys out there ?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha well the clubs I mentioned, so Revolution, Oceana, Walkabout and the SU are all good if you want to dance, there's also a place called C103 which has a pretty decent student night on a Wednesday. That, Revolution and Walkabout are all on/around the Union Street area, which has had a bad reputation with the sailors, but I've never had an issue with it, or heard of one haha. No there aren't many chavs or people looking for a fight at all. Haha yeah we should do, it'd be good Yeah, as much as anywhere I would have thought haha, generally when I go out we don't get back until 5, 6 in the morning so it stays open pretty late
    Yeah, I've heard of Jazz Bar but haven't personally been because it doesn't seem like my kind of place and is on Mutley Plain if I remember correctly, which is pretty expensive...
    God I forget there are sailors down there ha! do you see them alot? I live about 10 mins away from RAF Halton so we get a few of the RAF round town which is quite nice Round here town closes at 3 so we usually go back to people's houses, I'll have to organise a few flat parties
    Haha she was an international student so i don't think she was really interested in the British party culture!
    Also, are there any sandy beaches close to the uni? I only managed to see the sea by the Hoe and the harbour when I went!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    Ive just accepted the offer to Plymouth to do Events management in the business school. Anyone else over going to be 23 or over!? Feel like Im going to be an oldie! Or anyone else going to be studying this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boyceey)
    Hi everyone!
    Ive just accepted the offer to Plymouth to do Events management in the business school. Anyone else over going to be 23 or over!? Feel like Im going to be an oldie! Or anyone else going to be studying this?
    We'll be in the same school im doing business studies! shall see you round
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ye planning to firm, got conditional for economics!!!! cant wait but nervous at the same time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Animal Behaviour and Welfare too, and I've just turned 20 as well so you won't be the only late starter haha!
    Hey, nice to meet you What your reason for starting uni later? Im worried i won't get back into the habit of learning and actually doing something productive with my time haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello I've gotten myself a conditional offer at the university so will be starting in September (provided I get the grades...shouldn't be too hard D: ) so wouldn't mind meeting others who are going there too As for accommodation I'm looking into private housing (seems much cheaper and nicer than student halls) and am thinking a great deal about going to one of their "Find a Home" events...anyone else in the same boat here?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snape2255)
    Hello I've gotten myself a conditional offer at the university so will be starting in September (provided I get the grades...shouldn't be too hard D: ) so wouldn't mind meeting others who are going there too As for accommodation I'm looking into private housing (seems much cheaper and nicer than student halls) and am thinking a great deal about going to one of their "Find a Home" events...anyone else in the same boat here?
    Well done on your offer Halls aren't actually more expensive because in private housing bills aren't inclusive in the price unlike in halls bills are inclusive! I'm going to apply for halls but if i dont get in then ill go to the find a home day thing
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would love to meet people beforehand so if you want to add me on skype please feel free ha hichloco
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkloii)
    Well done on your offer Halls aren't actually more expensive because in private housing bills aren't inclusive in the price unlike in halls bills are inclusive! I'm going to apply for halls but if i dont get in then ill go to the find a home day thing
    Thank you! Well when I looked into it, it said something like this (if I remember correctly)...

Student Halls:

Regular room - £80-90pw (per week)
    En suite - £100-120pw
    Larger en suite - £120-150pw
    Studio room - (forgot...but it was more)

Private Housing:

Regular private housing (with approved accommodation) - £60-80pw
    Be prepared to pay extra for bills - £5-10pw

Looks like even if you get a top-end private house from approved accommodation and end up paying bills, it'd be the same as a regular student hall room...but you'd get more freedom, larger space (probably) and probably a garden etc to chill out in during summer D: Anyway...if I remember the prices correctly, the private housing seems to appeal so much more D:

As for skype - I'll add you if you don't mind

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 20, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.