The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Just thought I'd let you guys know...apparently I'm getting an offer :biggrin: I won't know the terms of the offer until I get it officially through the post. It's for an MA in Medieval Studies.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by super-emily
Just thought I'd let you guys know...apparently I'm getting an offer :biggrin: I won't know the terms of the offer until I get it officially through the post. It's for an MA in Medieval Studies.

Congratulations :smile:! PS did you mean the MSt?
Original post by cyberpoet
Congratulations :smile:! PS did you mean the MSt?

Thanks :-) I thought MA and Mst were both short for Masters?
Thanks :-) I thought MA and Mst were both short for Masters?

Hi was just wondering if you meant the Oxford MSt in Medieval Studies.

MA = Master of Arts and MSt = Master of Studies. The latter is a taught postgrad and the former is something all Oxbridge undergrads are entitled to after 3-4 years of graduating and payment of a small fee. One of those strange Oxbridge quirks :tongue:.
Hi was just wondering if you meant the Oxford MSt in Medieval Studies.

MA = Master of Arts and MSt = Master of Studies. The latter is a taught postgrad and the former is something all Oxbridge undergrads are entitled to after 3-4 years of graduating and payment of a small fee. One of those strange Oxbridge quirks :tongue:.

Haha, wow! I meant that Mst - the one where I have to work another year. :tongue:
Haha, wow! I meant that Mst - the one where I have to work another year. :tongue:

Well done on the offer :smile: anyway. You medievalists are lucky to have an earlier deadline; I'm just dying here from the wait.
Well done on the offer :smile: anyway. You medievalists are lucky to have an earlier deadline; I'm just dying here from the wait.

Haha, I applied in November. I was meant to hear in January, so they've been keeping me going for a while! I hope you hear soon :biggrin:
Haha, I applied in November. I was meant to hear in January, so they've been keeping me going for a while! I hope you hear soon :biggrin:

Congratulations Emily! I applied in around November but was told to expect a response in March. I've yet to hear back though (I've also applied for the MSt Medieval Studies)

Thanks :smile:. Btw did you hear about the offer by email or over the phone?
Reply 1409
Small predicament. Wondering if anyone could be of assistance.

I moved to BoGS stage of my application yesterday, so I'm looking at around 7th April for my offer (which clashes with Easter break - do BoGS close?)

Now, I also have an offer from King's College London with a hefty deposit due on 31st March.

If I rang up the department at Cambridge does anyone know if they would tell me what my offer will be? So then, I will be able to decline the offer from King's..? If that makes sense..:tongue:

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1410
Original post by Athena

The only way to find out is by trying. The other option is the contact King's asking for an extension (plead family/personal circumstances).

Rightio. Thank you. I don't have a problem phoning them up, I just don't want to come across annoying. When I phoned up yesterday the lady seemed to know my name and all about my application :K:

In that case I'll wait a week or two, give it some time and hopefully things will move along in that time. If not, as you say plead with King's for a small extension.

Also - do you know if BoGS close for Easter?
Original post by Akkuz

If I rang up the department at Cambridge does anyone know if they would tell me what my offer will be? So then, I will be able to decline the offer from King's..? If that makes sense..:tongue:

They might know, but I doubt they will say.
Because saying something like "your offer will be conditioned on 2.1" will make it official, and nobody can make this kind of commitment until the offer is actually made.

But I might be wrong :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz

Because saying something like "your offer will be 2.1" will make it official, and nobody can make this kind of commitment until the offer is actually made.

But I might be wrong :wink:
Reply 1413
Original post by janjanmmm
Because saying something like "your offer will be conditioned on 2.1" will make it official, and nobody can make this kind of commitment until the offer is actually made.

They should know. Conditions are set at the committee meeting by the looks of it. The lady I spoke to at BoGS was very helpful. I'm sure she would try to find out for me.

But absolutely, I understand you in terms of getting it officially/formally. If I wait a couple weeks, things may be clearer in the background I guess.

If the requirement of the department was a 2:1 I doubt it'll be a 70% offer..but then again I have no clue of Cambridge admissions!
Original post by Akkuz
They should know. Conditions are set at the committee meeting by the looks of it. The lady I spoke to at BoGS was very helpful. I'm sure she would try to find out for me.

But absolutely, I understand you in terms of getting it officially/formally. If I wait a couple weeks, things may be clearer in the background I guess.

If the requirement of the department was a 2:1 I doubt it'll be a 70% offer..but then again I have no clue of Cambridge admissions!

Just ask them "If the offer is made, what the conditions might be? What should I expect?", I suppose. That way they will feel more at ease giving you this info.
Original post by halbeth
Congratulations Emily! I applied in around November but was told to expect a response in March. I've yet to hear back though (I've also applied for the MSt Medieval Studies)

HEY :biggrin: it's so great to meet another medievalist!

cyberpoet
Thanks . Btw did you hear about the offer by email or over the phone?

Over the phone - but I had rang them up a couple of times because I have an accommodation deadline for my other offer. They were really good to me. I still haven't got any official letter/email detailing my offer, so I guess we're still all waiting! They told me that they would be sending out letters 'from mid March', if that's any help.
The general consensus amongst my Cam MPhil friends was an offer of 67 was the norm.
Reply 1417
Original post by sevendaughters
The general consensus amongst my Cam MPhil friends was an offer of 67 was the norm.

Which courses though? I'm sure it varies, but from what I've read on forums it looks like 67-68% is the common offer.
Original post by Akkuz
Which courses though? I'm sure it varies, but from what I've read on forums it looks like 67-68% is the common offer.

...which is what I said....
Reply 1419
You medievalists are lucky to have an earlier deadline

It's pretty logical that things should happen earlier for the medievalists, really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending