The Student Room Group

Mum's spending ALL my money!

Hey folks, I need some advice as to what to do on this problem. I know it may sound like I'm selfish but hear me out on this.

My mum has been going a bit mental with the Student Loan I get for going to University, and by this, I mean she is CONSTANTLY asking me for a loan of some money here and there, and not only is it doing my head in, it's also leaving me majorly skint!

Now, I pay my way at home, and give my mum some money for my keep, which I think is fair, and I'm happy to do this, but now, my mums been asking for a loan of more and more money, and she takes WEEKS to pay it back to me.

When I first started going to college, I had a very minimal loan, and she wasn't as bad, but because I would need to travel a lot when I started at University (I'm an hour's train ride away), I took out a bigger loan to help me meet these costs, and now I feel like my mum is taking advantage of this.

My mum doesn't earn a lot so I don't mind helping her out a wee bit financially if she needs it, but now she's started asking for a loan of unrealistic amounts which leave me completely skint. I should also mention that she guilt trips me whenever I complain about it, and always goes on about how if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even have my loan in the first place!

I can't take this hassle anymore. I'm losing out on a social life, I'm struggling to budget for funds to get to University, and I can't even put money by for the future due to her being a constant financial drain on me!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :smile:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I'd just tell her how it is: that it leaves you majorly skint and you're losing out because of it, just be completely honest. :smile:

Either that or tell her you don't have enough to spare to give her a loan.
Reply 2
Just put up and shut up. If she hadn't **** you out into the world you definitely wouldn't have had a social life.
Reply 3
Original post by jcd1993
Personally I'd just tell her how it is: that it leaves you majorly skint and you're losing out because of it, just be completely honest. :smile:

Either that or tell her you don't have enough to spare to give her a loan.

What a disgusting piece of advice. OP's mum has been carrying them around for 9 months + breastfeeding+ teaching them how to walk and life in general+ wiping their arse after a **** in the loo+ changing their nappies+ taking care of their health and you're telling them to smash the door in her face? You're what's wrong with society you know that? No principles. I bet you'll chuck your parents in a retiring home like animals when they grow old like other low-lifes.
Reply 4
Original post by noisy06
What a disgusting piece of advice. OP's mum has been carrying them around for 9 months + breastfeeding+ teaching them how to walk and life in general+ wiping their arse after a **** in the loo+ changing their nappies+ taking care of their health and you're telling them to smash the door in her face? You're what's wrong with society you know that? No principles. I bet you'll chuck your parents in a retiring home like animals when they grow old like other low-lifes.

yes they did all that but im sure before they had them they had a soical life of their own
Reply 5
Original post by zjs
Some money towards your keep isn't paying your way.

How is paying Dig Money not paying my way? I pay money towards my living at home, that, to me, is paying my way.

Original post by noisy06
Just put up and shut up. If she hadn't **** you out into the world you definitely wouldn't have had a social life.

Just wow, arrogant pig.

Like I said, I genuinely don't mean to sound like I'm selfish at all, but in all honesty, we do need money for our living costs, and that's what the purpose of a student loan is. Like I said, if my mum is really struggling for money, then I'm more than happy to help, but I genuinely do feel that she's starting to take advantage of this, as every day I get paid, she always asks for money.
Reply 6
Original post by Greyrob
Hey folks, I need some advice as to what to do on this problem. I know it may sound like I'm selfish but hear me out on this.

My mum has been going a bit mental with the Student Loan I get for going to University, and by this, I mean she is CONSTANTLY asking me for a loan of some money here and there, and not only is it doing my head in, it's also leaving me majorly skint!

Now, I pay my way at home, and give my mum some money for my keep, which I think is fair, and I'm happy to do this, but now, my mums been asking for a loan of more and more money, and she takes WEEKS to pay it back to me.

When I first started going to college, I had a very minimal loan, and she wasn't as bad, but because I would need to travel a lot when I started at University (I'm an hour's train ride away), I took out a bigger loan to help me meet these costs, and now I feel like my mum is taking advantage of this.

My mum doesn't earn a lot so I don't mind helping her out a wee bit financially if she needs it, but now she's started asking for a loan of unrealistic amounts which leave me completely skint. I should also mention that she guilt trips me whenever I complain about it, and always goes on about how if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even have my loan in the first place!

I can't take this hassle anymore. I'm losing out on a social life, I'm struggling to budget for funds to get to University, and I can't even put money by for the future due to her being a constant financial drain on me!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :smile:.

Considering how much money she has spent on you, riaisng you, feeding you, clothing you etc, I would tell you to pack your social life in since it's not a valid spend anyway, give all your spare income to your mum - this is your MOTHER we are talking about here. I would sell my ****ing kidney for my mum in a heartbeat - give it to your mum, graduate uni, get a proper job, have kids of your own, get made redundant, ask your kids for money and then realise how ****ing cruel you were when they say they need it for "social life" and then go and piss it up the wall.

You make me physically sick, and offend all five of my senses.
Reply 7
Original post by Greyrob
Like I said, I genuinely don't mean to sound like I'm selfish at all, but in all honesty, we do need money for our living costs, and that's what the purpose of a student loan is. Like I said, if my mum is really struggling for money, then I'm more than happy to help, but I genuinely do feel that she's starting to take advantage of this, as every day I get paid, she always asks for money.

You're calling me arrogant and you're accusing your mum of taking advantage of you? If I spelt out exactly what I think of you in response to this I'd probably be banned from TSR. You don't have to give ALL of you money away, but she did take care of you so it's now your job to take care of her and strive to help her as much as possible :smile:
Ignore the trolls, nothing wrong with giving your mum some money (indeed you do owe her some) but seeing as you're paying to live in her house, and are already giving her loans, you should be keeping some of your loan for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Ignore the trolls, nothing wrong with giving your mum some money (indeed you do owe her some) but seeing as you're paying to live in her house, and are already giving her loans, you should be keeping some of your loan for yourself.

Thanks :smile:, it's nice to see that there are some nice people on this.
is moving out a possibility? as a mother myself i don't think you should be obliged to lend you mum money, i find the whole concept of borrowing from your child wrong.
When you study at university as a teen, student life is an important part of the experience and you should not be missing out because you are subsidising your parent.

ETA: If you are going to remain living at home then I definitely think you should continue to pay a decent amount of keep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Greyrob
Thanks :smile:, it's nice to see that there are some nice people on this.

That's a bit rich coming from someone who had to come on TSR to ask whether they should give their own mother some money :smile: Not very nice is it.
Reply 12
Original post by carriesouthcott
is moving out a possibility? as a mother myself i don't think you should be obliged to lend you mum money, i find the whole concept of borrowing from your child wrong.
When you study at university as a teen, student life is an important part of the experience and you should not be missing out because you are subsidising your parent.

I've been looking into this recently, and I'm considering moving into Student Halls this year when I go for my Honour's :smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by noisy06
That's a bit rich coming from someone who had to come on TSR to ask whether they should give their own mother some money :smile: Not very nice is it.

Dude, grow up.
Tell her to **** off. What a cow.
Reply 15
Original post by Azarimanka

Nooooooooo! My mum isn't a cow, I love my mother dearly and think she's an amazing woman. The money part is the the only thing that upsets me, I would love nothing more than to see her be successful :smile:.
Reply 16
Original post by Greyrob
Dude, grow up.

It's what your mum helped you with isn't it :smile: Growing up.
Reply 17
Original post by Greyrob
Nooooooooo! My mum isn't a cow, I love my mother dearly and think she's an amazing woman. The money part is the the only thing that upsets me, I would love nothing more than to see her be successful :smile:.

That's more like it, I'm genuinely glad I've seen the more compassionate side of you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Azarimanka

Please show some respect dude.

The main things I can tell you Greyrob is.

*Family always take things for granted and they know our weaknesses.

*but yet, family is the most important thing you got, (yes more important than your friends) because when **** goes down, you will find out that maybe 1-2 friends are the for you, IF youre lucky.

To start with, sit down and talk and explain, maybe she thinks it's ok and thinks that you got enough to make it without concerns.

If she doesn't take that information to change, you have to be a bit harder and tell her NO.

What you can do here is, helping her find a better job if she is ok with that. Or you could find a way to work extra and maybe "borrow" her without using the loaned money.

I wish you good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by noisy06
It's what your mum helped you with isn't it :smile: Growing up.

Yes..... yes she did, and she's been complimented a lot on how well she's brought me and my siblings up :smile:.

Original post by noisy06
That's more like it, I'm genuinely glad I've seen the more compassionate side of you :smile:

I'm proud to be caring about my mum, and quite frankly if you don't then it makes you a sick person. I'm just wanting to try and show it from my point of view. I would like a little bit of money to take care of myself, and have no problem helping out mum, and what I mean by "taking advantage" is that she asks for around £200-250 EVERY payday, and I only get £400 a month.... see where I'm coming from now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending