The Student Room Group

Dream job/Possibility of becoming an Astronaut?

This is going to sound crazy so I'm just going to go right ahead and say it...
I want to be an astronaut.

Technically, it's possible. I'm British so that would mean applying for the ESA (European Space Agency).
I'm hoping to become a doctor, so I would meet the requirements academically. I have always been physically fit, the TA helps with that (some military background in there too which could be useful). I meet the height requirements and I think I can handle the psychological side of things too. So TECHNICALLY, it's possible.

But realistically, it's not going to happen :ashamed2:

But a person can dream right? haha
what is your dream job? As ridiculous as it may be.

Scroll to see replies

It is possible, you just have to be better than EVERYONE. :biggrin:

Currently my dream job is what I'm doing at university, Electrical Engineering. My dreams are more about where I want to live when I graduate - it's currently Norway. :tongue:
I used to want to be an astronaut too, but I'm scared of serving in the military for ages. :smile:
Original post by lsaul95

Technically, it's possible. I'm British so that would mean applying for the ESA (European Space Agency).
I'm hoping to become a doctor, so I would meet the requirements academically. I have always been physically fit, the TA helps with that (some military background in there too which could be useful). I meet the height requirements and I think I can handle the psychological side of things too. So TECHNICALLY, it's possible.

Apart from being a pilot (and a good one) I think need a degree in something scientific or engineering related.
Reply 3
Original post by Electronica
It is possible, you just have to be better than EVERYONE. :biggrin:

Currently my dream job is what I'm doing at university, Electrical Engineering. My dreams are more about where I want to live when I graduate - it's currently Norway. :tongue:
I used to want to be an astronaut too, but I'm scared of serving in the military for ages. :smile:

Imagine if you got it though, it would mean that ou are better than EVERYONE hahaha. Gives you bragging rights to say the least!
Ooo, that's interesting, are you going to look for jobs their once you've graduated? :smile:
haha yeah, I suppose the military side can be quite off-putting, but being an astronaut requires full commitment, so a military background will help with that.
Well hell, I think I know what my life goes is!

Original post by thunder_chunky
Apart from being a pilot (and a good one) I think need a degree in something scientific or engineering related.

For the European Astronaut Corps, you do not need any flight experience, however if you do it is a bonus. (So I will definitely be looking into getting my wings). You do need a degree in something scientific or engineering related, mathematics and information technology is also accepted. Medicine is accepted, so I'm all set on my way to becoming an astronaut haha!
Original post by lsaul95

For the European Astronaut Corps, you do not need any flight experience, however if you do it is a bonus. (So I will definitely be looking into getting my wings). You do need a degree in something scientific or engineering related, mathematics and information technology is also accepted. Medicine is accepted, so I'm all set on my way to becoming an astronaut haha!

I see. Well good luck with that!
Reply 5
A writer. It's certainly plausible, plenty of books (and plenty of rubbish books) get published every year. Unfortunately, though, I've nagging suspicion that when I finally put pen to paper I'll found out that I actually can't write for ****, and my dreams of ranking alongside Dickens and Hemingway will come to nothing. And then because I've spent all those years trying to write rather than actually getting a proper job, I'll die in great poverty, slumped over a typewriter, surrounded by empty whiskey bottles and screwed up bits of paper.
Original post by geetar
A writer. It's certainly plausible, plenty of books (and plenty of rubbish books) get published every year. Unfortunately, though, I've nagging suspicion that when I finally put pen to paper I'll found out that I actually can't write for ****, and my dreams of ranking alongside Dickens and Hemingway will come to nothing. And then because I've spent all those years trying to write rather than actually getting a proper job, I'll die in great poverty, slumped over a typewriter, surrounded by empty whiskey bottles and screwed up bits of paper.

= every time I try to write an essay, never mind actual proper continuous prose. Well replace typewriter with craptop.
Reply 7
When I was younger I remember desperately wanting to become a Superhero... :lol:
Next year I'm going to be doing a degree in International Politics. But that's not actually related to my 'dream job'.

My dream job is to be a performer on the West End. It's technically possible - I have grade 8 singing which I passed with distinction and I've been in various amateur dramatic productions - I was in one last week actually.

But I'm doing politics so I have a back up option in case it all goes to pot. My plan is, do politics and while doing that do as many amateur dramatic productions as possible, take dance classes and continue singing lessons and then try and get into a musical theatre course.

Good luck with your dream! I hope it all works out for you!
The Brits don't contribute anything to the ESA's manned programmes, only the unmanned ones. Therefore the UK doesn't really have a 'right' to an ESA astronaut. Major Tim Peake is a major anomaly. Most countries are winding down manned spaceflight, unfortunately. If I were you, I would try to find Chinese or possibly US citizenship.
Original post by geetar

As someone who is attempting to be a writer already, is that not the romantic image of a writing career? Certainly how I imagine my life...
Original post by lsaul95

you want US citizenship really, We don't really put men into space and i don't believe we're involved in any manned space flights by the ESA
Reply 12
Postman
Reply 13
Original post by jmenkus
The Brits don't contribute anything to the ESA's manned programmes, only the unmanned ones. Therefore the UK doesn't really have a 'right' to an ESA astronaut. Major Tim Peake is a major anomaly. Most countries are winding down manned spaceflight, unfortunately. If I were you, I would try to find Chinese or possibly US citizenship.

Original post by Moleman1996
you want US citizenship really, We don't really put men into space and i don't believe we're involved in any manned space flights by the ESA

Thanks for the information both of you. Getting a US citizenship would probably be the safest bet, I bet it's a pain trying to get citizenship but I suppose it's worth it for your dream job. I'll have to look into it after Uni.

Cheers!
Reply 14
Original post by suarez7
Postman

hahaha Good for you mate!
Original post by lsaul95

Ooo, that's interesting, are you going to look for jobs their once you've graduated? :smile:

Maybe, it saves me from swimming over I guess. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Electronica
Maybe, it saves me from swimming over I guess. :wink:

hahaha you never know, bit of paddling never hurt :wink: haha
Original post by lsaul95
Thanks for the information both of you. Getting a US citizenship would probably be the safest bet, I bet it's a pain trying to get citizenship but I suppose it's worth it for your dream job. I'll have to look into it after Uni.

Cheers!

No problem. Luckily for you, being British (and therefore speaking perfect English) and having a good degree will increase your chances of citizenship massively. And you wouldn't be the first British-born American in space.
Reply 18
If it doesn't come off you could always become a flying doctor instead :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending