The Student Room Group

7% of the Britsih population is privately educated, but they get 60% of the TOP jobs.

I'm gob-smacked really. Just read a disgusting stat, that states that, 7% of people our privately educated in this country, but they make up 60% of the top jobs in this county ranging from, financial services, The law basically high end jobs.

Now I know the snobs will just tell me that they our well educated and deserve all they get, well sir in my opinion it shows just how much of a unfair divide exists between the upper classes and the ordinary folk.

I have no respect for the silver spooned that rub their privilege in peoples faces. I have all respect for the self made but not snobs. Anyway this stat highlights the considerable troubles that hurt society :mad::mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At the risk of negs - sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know.
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music. Even if you don't agree that these people should be paid highly, the people who consume their services do, and it would be horrendous for the public sector to meddle in private sector wages (although this is another debate altogether).

Of all the very rich people in the world, not many don't deserve it. This is often passed down through their genes to their children and grandchildren, meaning they are also very intelligent people. Going to a private school simply enhances this natural intelligence, allowing them to use it to the full potential. Even if they didn't get the best education (except maybe if they were in one of the worst schools in the country), many of them would probably still make it into one of these top jobs. Surely it is better to try to move the standard of the worst off upwards rather than prevent those at the top from getting too far ahead of the others?

I don't understand why people are so against the private schools. People may see this as the 1% screwing everyone over again by getting a better education than us, but think of it in this way. These are the people who contribute by far the most to tax revenue, which pay for schools, hospitals, benefits and welfare etc. However, if they are privately educated and go to a private doctor, they use far far less in government resources than the average person, and the difference is even more astonishing when you consider how much more they provide to the public purse than the average person.
Either quote some references or i'm going to assume you pulled these figures out of your ass. Every other thread on this forum.
(edited 12 years ago)
you dont have to be rich to go to a private school
Reply 5
So the people with the best education who are groomed for a life in certain industries do well in those industries?

Well knock me down and call me a goose.

:colonhash:
Oh do shut up! This isn't even in the right sodding forum.
Reply 7
Original post by rosee92
At the risk of negs - sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHg-pIrRhfQ

Sums up that statement. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by THECHOOSENONE
I'm gob-smacked really. Just read a disgusting stat, that states that, 7% of people our privately educated in this country, but they make up 60% of the top jobs in this county ranging from, financial services, The law basically high end jobs.

From where are you getting these figures?
Reply 9
Why is this surprising? Private education costs money for a reason. It's not necessarily that the standard of education is higher (it some cases it isn't) but you get to know the right people and learn certain work ethics.

In my opinion there's a problem with this, and ideally we'd all have equal opportunities, but it's difficult to tackle this problem; you can't realistically stop people with money using it to give their kids a head start. Even if private schools were completely abolished, there would still be private tutors and other resources that would give people from wealthy families an advantage.
Reply 10
Original post by Xamanus
From where are you getting these figures?

Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Either quote some references or i'm going to assume you pulled these figures out of your ass. Every other thread on this forum.

I think i heard these stats on either the BBC news or Channel 4 news earlier today.
Reply 11
You don't need to be privately educated to get a top job, but it does help if you can spell "chosen" and if you can pay attention to detail... like when registering a username on a website.
Reply 12
Factors to consider:
- People can get bursaries/scholarships at public schools
- What proportion of people from public schools continue onto sixth form and university compared to those from state schools?
- If you were a rich parent, would you not try to provide the best education for your children i.e. a good school and private tutors?
- Do you honestly think that posher people get away with doing less work?

Original post by G50
You don't need to be privately educated to get a top job, but it does help if you can spell "chosen" and if you can pay attention to detail... like when registering a username on a website.

I've run out of rep, but you have my kudos.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by G50

Heard of regents business school? Would some one get jobs easier if graduated from there?
Reply 14
Original post by thegaffer91
Hasn't anyone thought that there may be a genetic influence here?

If people are rich, chances are it is because they are very clever. If not clever, then have some talent, like sport or music. Even if you don't agree that these people should be paid highly, the people who consume their services do, and it would be horrendous for the public sector to meddle in private sector wages (although this is another debate altogether).

Yes genetics could affect things slightly, but I doubt it's on the scale that your imagining. Realistically, a lot of rich people are replaceable, and it's less down to their genetics as it is to hard work and/or chance.

Of all the very rich people in the world, not many don't deserve it. This is often passed down through their genes to their children and grandchildren, meaning they are also very intelligent people. Going to a private school simply enhances this natural intelligence, allowing them to use it to the full potential. Even if they didn't get the best education (except maybe if they were in one of the worst schools in the country), many of them would probably still make it into one of these top jobs. Surely it is better to try to move the standard of the worst off upwards rather than prevent those at the top from getting too far ahead of the others?

Define deserve. I personally don't think anyone deserves to be very rich. And I do think that while a lot of rich people work hard for it, there are more who work hard and don't end up rich, and not because they aren't intelligent. My maths lecturers are a perfect example of this. They work hard, and are possibly more "deserving" of being rich than a lot of people who are better off than them.

Because of how money works, "moving the standard of the worst upwards" requires that those at the top don't get too far ahead, that is, in order for the standard of living of the average person to raise, the standard of living of the rich person has to fall. Relatively, of course.

I don't understand why people are so against the private schools. People may see this as the 1% screwing everyone over again by getting a better education than us, but think of it in this way. These are the people who contribute by far the most to tax revenue, which pay for schools, hospitals, benefits and welfare etc. However, if they are privately educated and go to a private doctor, they use far far less in government resources than the average person, and the difference is even more astonishing when you consider how much more they provide to the public purse than the average person.

The point is that it could be people other than those wealthy enough to go to private schools that become the higher wage earners and therefore greater contributors to tax revenue etc. Why should it be a closed circle of people that do this? It should be equally possible for anyone of a given ability to make it into a certain field.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's not surprising but it's still disgusting. I'd still like to see where you got those figures from I can't find them on the net.

If we actually want to increase social mobility we need to make schooling more equal. The crux of the problem is the big difference in socioeconomic conditions: Role models, education, opportunities etc. Abolishing private schools would be a start, but certain children would still have massive advantages.
Original post by Drapetomanic
It's not surprising but it's still disgusting. I'd still like to see where you got those figures from I can't find them on the net.

If we actually want to increase social mobility we need to make schooling more equal. The crux of the problem is the big difference in socioeconomic conditions: Role models, education, opportunities etc. Abolishing private schools would be a start, but certain children would still have massive advantages.

The OPs stat is probably just made up, but anyway assuming it's right...

If you think private schools produce better students then why would you want to abolish them and bring the whole standard of the country down? If you take away the best education then surely we become uncompetitive against other countries and then everyone loses....The top jobs will then be filled by better educated immigrants who will send money overseas.

Surely the answer is for under-performing schools to match the best not for good performers to be closed down. That's just stupid.

Added to which people who send their kids to private school are paying tax towards state schools and forking out for their own child's education. They aren't taking any money from the state they're just pouring it in. It's not their fault the government can't seem to spend it properly. Although, that said, a lot of state schools are good anyway.

I suspect the major reason these top jobs are filled with private school types is due to nepotism. Networking is how you get a job these days not grades.
It is not very surprising...in fact, if anything, it's probably surprising that for all the thousands they spend on education, they account for only 60% of the 'top' jobs. But you need to define 'top' jobs, are you using a subject description such as law and financial services? Or are you defining it as earning over £150,000 or something?!

Anyhow, as others have stated, if your in a rich man's circle you can play the rich man's game. You will get contacts, referrals, experience, jobs etc. from going to a private school. If you put the private kids in graduate schemes against state educated kids, you will probably find more proportionality, but the mere fact that many already have jobs lined up from the age of 18 proves they have the means to get the well paid jobs.

As for genes, that's complete *******s. Why do you get so many first timers going to Oxbridge etc. Yes, you get the odd weirdo who can do all the difficult Maths without any work, but I don't agree with that view.
Reply 18
Its pretty sad. I'd like to see the stats on whether its family wealth or private education which correlates so strongly, for the cases where the two don't equate.

Bring back grammar schools i say.
Reply 19
Cruel story, bro.

Quick Reply