The Student Room Group

Summer Camp 2O12 (BUNAC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by AliceStrawbs
All of my stuff's with BUNAC and now i'm just playing the waiting game arghhh. Literally feels like it's taking a lifetime - I just want to know!

Anyone know who in demand photography is?

I know how you feel, I've been waiting for like over a month now but it feels so much longer! Hope we hear from them soon :smile:
Original post by toto7
I know how you feel, I've been waiting for like over a month now but it feels so much longer! Hope we hear from them soon :smile:

I know it's important to be patient and what not but I just want knowwwww. Hopefully we'll know by the end of the month :smile:
Reply 102
I know it's important to be patient and what not but I just want knowwwww. Hopefully we'll know by the end of the month :smile:

I'm just quite worried about not getting a response as, even though it was idiotic/wrong to do so, I've got my hopes up too high. However, yeah hopefully we'll know by the end of the month :smile:
Original post by NatalieMT
Bunac no longer accept CRB checks so don't apply for one of those! It's the ACPO police check that you want, there should be a form to print off when you log into you Bunac account after being accepted on to the program.

Original post by sgfrushw
Firstly you're going to have an amazing time! My main piece of advice is that if you're planning to travel after camp make sure you either take a rucksac or bag you can easily carry because large suitcases are so unpratical on subways etc. It does get pretty cold in the evenings, even in July and August so take warm clothes to wear then. The bunks can get cold so you'll really appriciate being able to wrap up warm. I can't think of anything else at the moment but will let you know if I do!

hi,i just wanted to know, im booking my flights now, but also wanted to travel for like a week afterwards, how does it work, do u go travelling on your own, or with a group afterwards, and when is best time to book your return flight? thanks :smile:

Original post by toto7
I'm just quite worried about not getting a response as, even though it was idiotic/wrong to do so, I've got my hopes up too high. However, yeah hopefully we'll know by the end of the month :smile:

are u guys at the stage, of hearing to get in tothe programme or from a camp?
Original post by hasan4life

Hearing from a Camp. It says my application is with the US team.
Hearing from a Camp. It says my application is with the US team.

ah alright cool :smile: it wont be long till u hear from them, but i feel the pain, was waiting 3 months to get placed, the wait can be awful and feels like u wont get in, but these are the key months i think, that they employ :smile: i only got placed last week :woo: when did u apply for this camp?
ah alright cool :smile: it wont be long till u hear from them, but i feel the pain, was waiting 3 months to get placed, the wait can be awful and feels like u wont get in, but these are the key months i think, that they employ :smile: i only got placed last week :woo: when did u apply for this camp?

At the start of this year, I had my interview on the 18th of February :smile: I got all of my info and documents in really quickly though.

Congrats on being placed! Where abouts is it that you're going to be going?
Reply 108

Yeah I'm the process of getting placed too, got all my documents in and that so just got my fingers crossed at the moment! When did you have your interview?
Reply 109
hi,i just wanted to know, im booking my flights now, but also wanted to travel for like a week afterwards, how does it work, do u go travelling on your own, or with a group afterwards, and when is best time to book your return flight? thanks :smile:

Everyone I met at camp all went travelling with peope from camp unless they has previous plans to either go home or meet someone. I ended up got straight from camp to Boston with 10 other people from camp and over the next few weeks people left as they did what they wanted. Don't worry, you will find people to travel with because everyone is in the same position.
I booked my flight for 2 weeks after camp finished which I thought was long enough, but don't forget you can change it when you get there, because my original flight was booked for a week later. It really depends how long you want to be there though because I know people who stayed for another couple of weeks after I left, but like I said, you can change your flight so don't worry about it too much :smile:
At the start of this year, I had my interview on the 18th of February :smile: I got all of my info and documents in really quickly though.

Congrats on being placed! Where abouts is it that you're going to be going?

ah right, its still early days for u then, u should hear soon :smile:
new york with fresh air fund :woo:

Original post by toto7
Yeah I'm the process of getting placed too, got all my documents in and that so just got my fingers crossed at the moment! When did you have your interview?

cool wont be long for an offer :smile: for the programme, i had it back in november and for camp 2 weeks ago :smile:
Original post by sgfrushw
Everyone I met at camp all went travelling with peope from camp unless they has previous plans to either go home or meet someone. I ended up got straight from camp to Boston with 10 other people from camp and over the next few weeks people left as they did what they wanted. Don't worry, you will find people to travel with because everyone is in the same position.
I booked my flight for 2 weeks after camp finished which I thought was long enough, but don't forget you can change it when you get there, because my original flight was booked for a week later. It really depends how long you want to be there though because I know people who stayed for another couple of weeks after I left, but like I said, you can change your flight so don't worry about it too much :smile:

ah right cool, so when ppl want to drop off, do they just hopon to some transport which takes them back to the airports when your done? only problem is, they charge if u change flights, so dont really want to do that.
Reply 111

ah right cool, so when ppl want to drop off, do they just hopon to some transport which takes them back to the airports when your done? only problem is, they charge if u change flights, so dont really want to do that.

Basically. I ended in New York since thats where the flights go from, but was with 2 people who flew to LA from NY so saw NY with people from camp and just went home from there. Got the subway to the airport on my own, but it was fine. It depends how much time and money you have and what you want to see. If you only want to go to a couple of places than a week-10 days would be fine. I travelled for 12 days and went to Boston, Toronto, Washington and New York which was plenty of time to see everything I wanted. Obviously if you want to do more then stay longer but for me, 12 days was just enough.
Reply 112
How long do the visas let you stay in the US for? I had a feeling it was three months, but just got camp expected dates through which say 3rd June - 31st August and I'm worried that doesn't leave time for even a little travelling!
Reply 113
I'm all placed and getting the paperwork sorted.
Has anyone had to sort out their own insurance? Any recommendations on where to go? Stupid ankle injury causing problems!
Original post by Acaila
How long do the visas let you stay in the US for? I had a feeling it was three months, but just got camp expected dates through which say 3rd June - 31st August and I'm worried that doesn't leave time for even a little travelling!

Hey,
You get lots of time for travelling - your visa lasts until October. I'm pretty sure it's the end of the month. And you also get a 30 day grace period after its expiration for travel around the US (don't try and go to Canada/Mexico then re-enter during this time!)
Reply 115
Original post by natalierose
Hey,
You get lots of time for travelling - your visa lasts until October. I'm pretty sure it's the end of the month. And you also get a 30 day grace period after its expiration for travel around the US (don't try and go to Canada/Mexico then re-enter during this time!)

Heh, that's handy to know -especially since I'll be right next door to Canada :biggrin: Thanks!
What do you do on your days/evenings off? Are you allowed to leave camp and go in to the nearest city and do shopping or explore ect? Or do you have to stay on Camp for the entire time?
Original post by acceptingme
What do you do on your days/evenings off? Are you allowed to leave camp and go in to the nearest city and do shopping or explore ect? Or do you have to stay on Camp for the entire time?

depends on the camp, but ,most on your time off and weekends will allow you to go to town and do what you want :smile: mine i'll be off campus every weekend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest