The Student Room Group

The takeaway tax: How price of your hot lunchtime snack will go up 20 per cent!! :O

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steevee
That's because you are not being too smart about it. Veg and meat bought in bulk does, almost always, work out cheaper and more nutritious than ready meals. Of course, if buying in bulk is not an option, then you may have a point.

It costs more to cook them though. Not to mention the fact that buying in bulk means you have to transport the stuff back home. How do people with not much money do that? By car? By taxi? How much does a taxi cost? Moreover, as someone who is unemployed, it is far cheaper for me not to buy in bulk, as some days looking for reduced items is often the only option. I think the same goes for students as well; they also have to budget and look out for the offers.
Reply 21
Original post by Steezy
As somebody else replied, I think the difference here is that I'm talking about a weekly shop. Where £1 bananas covers my week of breakfast, £1 peppers £1 onions £1 mushrooms, £1 tomatoes £1 pasta and say £5 meat could cover lunch and dinner for the week. Then add another £1 for pineapple & £1 for a melon & that's desert.

I'll add on another £2 for unseen variances.

So that's what, £15 for a very nutritious, healthy weekly diet compared to a ready made curry (which only covers dinner), which gives you hardly any vitamins, minerals, etc, costing £2.50 a week, remembering that only covers your dinner.

How many bananas do you have for breakfast? That just would not sustain me. Not even two would for breakfast. Let's say three bananas for breakfast. That's 50p (or more) gone in one breakfast. The cheapest hand of bananas I can buy is usually a pound, perhaps a little bit more. That pound would last me just two days. On my budget buying what you buy would not make any financial sense. I can get a tin of sradines for 39p and that would do one breakfast. I would get my veg frozen, a mixture of veg, for just £1 at the freezer shops. £5 for meat is just expensive. That's almost 3 days of meals for me. No. Instead I would get two trays of tempura batter fish for just £2; I would 7 packets of noodles, that's £3. I would then get two Quorn Lasagnes, that's £2.

I can get a ready made curry for just £1. If I had to get the raw ingredients to make that curry, plus the cost to cook the stuff, I would be losing money. The last time I did that I was spending up to £6 just on the ingredients alone.
Reply 22
Original post by roodootoo
You clearly aren't going to just eat a plate of carrots and brocolli for your tea are you?

The same is true of rice, pasta and potato.
Reply 23
Original post by Martyn*
How many bananas do you have for breakfast? That just would not sustain me. Not even two would for breakfast. Let's say three bananas for breakfast. That's 50p (or more) gone in one breakfast. The cheapest hand of bananas I can buy is usually a pound, perhaps a little bit more. That pound would last me just two days. On my budget buying what you buy would not make any financial sense. I can get a tin of sradines for 39p and that would do one breakfast. I would get my veg frozen, a mixture of veg, for just £1 at the freezer shops. £5 for meat is just expensive. That's almost 3 days of meals for me. No. Instead I would get two trays of tempura batter fish for just £2; I would 7 packets of noodles, that's £3. I would then get two Quorn Lasagnes, that's £2.

I can get a ready made curry for just £1. If I had to get the raw ingredients to make that curry, plus the cost to cook the stuff, I would be losing money. The last time I did that I was spending up to £6 just on the ingredients alone.

I get about 10 bananas for £1 which is two per weekday (weekends I don't have breakfast).

You have sardines for breakfast?

Anyway no offence but I'm getting a bit bored of this argument. You probably can get cheaper food, I'm just saying it isn't really that expensive to live healthy.
Reply 24
Original post by runlop
So it would appear the budget is going to make a quick stop by the old Gregs a bit more expencive! Hot food bought from bakeries and supermarkets is to become more costly thanks to George Osborne's Budget, it emerged today.

The Chancellor has decided that VAT at 20 per cent should be added to all hot takeaway food, not just products sold by fast food chains.

What are your thoughts on this? my thoughts are noooooooooooooooo! :frown:

article explaining the tax increase below...

http://theoffshoreonline.com/articles/2012/03/22/uk-budget-2012-takeaway-tax-how-price-your-hot-lunchtime-snack-will-go-20-cent

Vat has been chargeable on most hot food takeways for a considerable number of years-Fish & Chips, Chinese carry outs, Indian carry outs etc have all had to account for vat. The rule changes merely close a number of loopholes in what has for years been the charging structure, it levels the playing field between all suppliers of hot food taken away.

It therefore appears that the public have been complicit in tax avoidance just like their evil rich counterparts. :smile:
The Chancellor is basically asking "why the **** don't you get a meal deal from Boots instead you fatsos?"
If the Labour party had not ****ed up our economy then we would not be in the situation
Having to survive on £10 for lunch for five days is going to be impossible now. I'll have to live off sandwiches.
Reply 28
Original post by Steezy
As somebody else replied, I think the difference here is that I'm talking about a weekly shop. Where £1 bananas covers my week of breakfast, £1 peppers £1 onions £1 mushrooms, £1 tomatoes £1 pasta and say £5 meat could cover lunch and dinner for the week. Then add another £1 for pineapple & £1 for a melon & that's desert.

I'll add on another £2 for unseen variances.

So that's what, £15 for a very nutritious, healthy weekly diet compared to a ready made curry (which only covers dinner), which gives you hardly any vitamins, minerals, etc, costing £2.50 a week, remembering that only covers your dinner.

in some ways I envy you :redface:

But then again I don't think I could plan that well!
Reply 29
Original post by Stevo112
in some ways I envy you :redface:

But then again I don't think I could plan that well!

I don't really either. I mean that's a guideline for a cheap healthy diet but obviously mine varies. Sometimes I don't want to cook & have pizza or chicken & chips. And for lunch I'll have beans on toast sometimes (I work in an office so it's a bit easier to eat and prepare healthy food). But I do eat about 7 fruit & veg a day.

I'm just pointing out that people complain that healthy food is expensive when really, fruit & Veg if bought in bulk, can be very cheap.
Reply 30
Original post by Steevee
The same is true of rice, pasta and potato.

nope, I'll have a nice pasty.
But I like cheese and onion pasties... They've already gone up in price I remember them being about 60p and sausage rolls being 45p. Back in the day!:cry2:
I can see many bakeries closing down and thousands of job losses. Yay, the money earned from this VAT can now go towards benefits for these unemployed people. We should just raise VAT to 100% on everything and let half the country live on benefits from the increased tax revenue.

I already find Greggs products to be ridiculously expensive for what you get. Their recent price increase was pushing the limits of what I was willing to pay. If they suddenly go up by 20% I will no longer be buying their stuff. I can't be the only person who will stop either.
Reply 33
Original post by Martyn*

If you want a cheap and nutritious breakfast, just buy a big sack of porridge. Get it when student loan comes in, and it'll last all year. I will be the first to admit that it is very bland, however.
Reply 34
Original post by Planar
If you want a cheap and nutritious breakfast, just buy a big sack of porridge. Get it when student loan comes in, and it'll last all year. I will be the first to admit that it is very bland, however.

Add sugar. But then I guess it becomes unhealthy after. :dry:
Reply 35
Original post by Mr Smurf
Add sugar. But then I guess it becomes unhealthy after. :dry:

I usually add salt and then wolf it down as quickly as possible. I don't even chew it. Usually it's a bit of a waste to eat food without tasting it, but porridge doesn't have any flavour anyway.
What a stupid idea, along with alcohol pricing. If people want to eat takeaways, they will. In order to combat obesity we need to encourage changes in eating behaviour, rather than more and more taxation that only penalises everyone.
Reply 37
I speak on behalf of the whole of Britain's 98% obese majority in saying that the news is truly devastating..

I mean, paying an extra 20% for cheap fatty lard? Scandalous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending