The Student Room Group

Uni choice wars: York vs Sheffield

Hi there,

I'm having trouble deciding between these. After a series of mental pro/con lists, looking at course modules and league tables, what I want to know now is what it's like being an undergraduate psychology student in these universities, and based on what very little you know of me, which might be better suited for me:

I am someone who enjoys the diversity of big cities, but I also love the countryside (which Sheffield, and especially York, has lots of!). I'm musical (mainly playing contemporary folk, rock, and singer-songwriter stuff), and want to make more music connections and possibly join bands. These are the most important things for me concerning student life.

Additional factors are: Sheffield is bigger, closer (I'm from S Wales), lots of my family who I don't see enough of live in Doncaster and Nottingham - some of which are deaf, and Sheffield harbours a major deaf community which means I could keep up my/learn more BSL.

It seems obvious that there are more benefits for going to Sheffield, but I don't live in either of these places and I barely know them, so I really need some insight! Thank you.
I think the degree at York may be slightly better and be more reputable amongst employers.

That is just an impression however, and Sheffield is above York in the Good University Guide league tables.
Sheffield is in the top 5 for Psychology. I study at Sheffield myself and i can postively say the course is amazing. They give you loads of support and also advice for volunteering stuff for your extra curricular.

We also have the best students union in the country and as far as music- there are soooo many societies theres bound to be one for your musical abilities!

York is also a very good University, but to be honest id say that it is on equal parring with Sheffield.

And in terms of all the other things youve stated- wanting to be close to family etc and also sheffield has good transport, it seems you might bode better at Sheffield than York, considering they are both probably the same prestige wise.
Reply 3
The countryside immediately around york is nothing to shout about... unless you really like looking at flat fields :/
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
I think the degree at York may be slightly better and be more reputable amongst employers.

That is just an impression however, and Sheffield is above York in the Good University Guide league tables.

Yeah, a lot of people, including me, tend to think York is more prestigious, but when you look at the statistics, it is pretty close.

Thanks for the reply.
Original post by Joinedup
The countryside immediately around york is nothing to shout about... unless you really like looking at flat fields :/

Hmm, interesting, everyone I know raves on about York's landscapes. Thanks for the reply.
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Sheffield is in the top 5 for Psychology. I study at Sheffield myself and i can postively say the course is amazing. They give you loads of support and also advice for volunteering stuff for your extra curricular.

We also have the best students union in the country and as far as music- there are soooo many societies theres bound to be one for your musical abilities!

York is also a very good University, but to be honest id say that it is on equal parring with Sheffield.

And in terms of all the other things youve stated- wanting to be close to family etc and also sheffield has good transport, it seems you might bode better at Sheffield than York, considering they are both probably the same prestige wise.

Yeah, there isn't really much left to think about. Thank you for the reply, it was helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by CheeseConspiracy
Hmm, interesting, everyone I know raves on about York's landscapes. Thanks for the reply.

Maybe some people prefer cow pasture and potato fields to rugged national park Pennines?

Quick Reply

Latest