The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caraward91
Hi! I've just been accepted to study abroad in Copenhagen next year to study Law aswell! I'm from Nottingham University :smile:

Starting to think about the details now, so nerve-wracking!

When did you start looking for accommodation? Are all the Erasmus students together or do you kind of have to seek them out? Completely unsure of what the next step is!

Also, when/how did you apply for student finance/the erasmus grant thing? I feel so clueless!

Other than that i'm very excited. Not entirely sure it has sunken in yet... x

Yay! How exciting :biggrin: If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

I managed to get accommodation in a kollegium (a sort of Danish halls independent of unis) through the international office. However, the reality is that, there's not enough student accommodation in Copenhagen. If you apply for housing through the international office in good time then there's a good chance that you'll get some. If not, then I can send you some links that'll help you find something privately/show you some Facebook groups where you might find people in need of flatmates.

Haha, trust me, you will have absolutely no problem coming into contact with other exchange students! If you're at all interested in doing the pre-semester language course then I would say do it! You will have an awesome 3 weeks and meet tons of people.

You apply for student finance as normal and the Erasmus grant is done through your uni. They should tell you when it's time to start that process, but contact the European Office if you don't trust that they will!

Original post by Antifazian
I'm seriously considering going on an Erasmus exchange in my third year, but i'm just a bit worried about the fact that I have to basically take a year out of my degree between the 3rd and 4th years to do it. It wont count towards my final degree grade either, which I suppose could be a really good thing! :tongue:

Did anyone else have to take a year out to do Erasmus?

I'm taking a year out, in that my Erasmus year has extended my degree length by a year, but my marks will contribute towards my degree classification. What exactly are you worried about?
Reply 161
If you live at home with parents, then go on Erasmus and obviously move out, will your student loan go up significantly? I'm with SAAS in Scotland though, so maybe it's different from everything else.

I have e-mailed them but they take about 2 weeks to reply, if they reply at all, so I thought I'd ask :biggrin: Juse worried because the Erasmus grant + my current loan would barely cover rent. :smile:
Original post by >Anna<

I'm taking a year out, in that my Erasmus year has extended my degree length by a year, but my marks will contribute towards my degree classification. What exactly are you worried about?

I suppose the fact that "my year" will have graduated by the time I come back from the Erasmus year. I know you make new friends blah blah, but is there still that feeling of being left behind?
Original post by Antifazian
I suppose the fact that &quot;my year&quot; will have graduated by the time I come back from the Erasmus year. I know you make new friends blah blah, but is there still that feeling of being left behind?

Hmm, I haven't really felt like that. It does help that some of my good friends are also on Erasmus, and I've made pretty good friends of the other people here from my uni, so I know I won't be alone. It is a bit of a downer that my best friend will have graduated, but I know it's not like we won't see each other (and she lives in another country).
It's likely that, if you go ahead and do it, you're going to be having so much fun and meeting so many people that you won't have much time to dwell on it!
How are you guys doing

I'm feeling a bit run down. I thought there'd be the whole Elation-then-homesick-then-settling in phases but the moment I arrived here with my suitcase 3 months ago I felt like I wanted to go home and I've basically felt the same way the entire time I've been here. I hover between "hating it and wanting to go home" and "feeling alright about it" but I'm never truly happy that I'm here. Literally counting down the days until I can go home (238 to go... ugh....). I went out for a crappy new year's eve thing (wish I hadn't gone) and crawled home from that at 5am new years' day and I still haven't really left my bed other than to cook and wash then just crawl back under the duvet like there's no point in getting up.

The year abroad program is so tiny here, no other British people at all so I have literally nothing in common with anyone.
Original post by screenager2004
How are you guys doing

I'm feeling a bit run down. I thought there'd be the whole Elation-then-homesick-then-settling in phases but the moment I arrived here with my suitcase 3 months ago I felt like I wanted to go home and I've basically felt the same way the entire time I've been here. I hover between &quot;hating it and wanting to go home&quot; and &quot;feeling alright about it&quot; but I'm never truly happy that I'm here. Literally counting down the days until I can go home (238 to go... ugh....). I went out for a crappy new year's eve thing (wish I hadn't gone) and crawled home from that at 5am new years' day and I still haven't really left my bed other than to cook and wash then just crawl back under the duvet like there's no point in getting up.

The year abroad program is so tiny here, no other British people at all so I have literally nothing in common with anyone.

:console: You do sound a bit down. I had a totally miserable point one weekend when I was ill, I desperately wanted to be at home being looked after and I really felt like I hadn't made a single good friend. And then everything changed for the good! Try not to write off the exchange just yet. New semester = new arrivals? I definitely agree that it's easier to stick with other Brits (obviously only if possible), but I've found that a bit of perseverance with people from other backgrounds normally pays off eventually and you can find some kind of common ground.
Other than generally trying to stay optimistic...try and find more imminent things to focus on looking forward to, rather than counting down the days until you're home?

Also, not trying to be preachy, but try and get out regularly. Even if you don't want to, just go out for a walk or something. I find that when I stop going out it generally means I'm about to sink into some kind of depressive episode.

If you want to chat privately then feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by >Anna<
:console: You do sound a bit down. I had a totally miserable point one weekend when I was ill, I desperately wanted to be at home being looked after and I really felt like I hadn't made a single good friend. And then everything changed for the good! Try not to write off the exchange just yet. New semester = new arrivals? I definitely agree that it's easier to stick with other Brits (obviously only if possible), but I've found that a bit of perseverance with people from other backgrounds normally pays off eventually and you can find some kind of common ground.
Other than generally trying to stay optimistic...try and find more imminent things to focus on looking forward to, rather than counting down the days until you're home?

Also, not trying to be preachy, but try and get out regularly. Even if you don't want to, just go out for a walk or something. I find that when I stop going out it generally means I'm about to sink into some kind of depressive episode.

If you want to chat privately then feel free to message me :smile:

You're probably right but the mindset I'm in right now, I really don't like going out of my room. Outside is just a minefield of cultural faux-pas and embarrassment and generally is not a pleasant experience at all. We have no money, and the language barrier just stops you from really doing anything.

Really didn't think the language barrier would be such a massive problem. The old students were like "I didn't know a word of Japanese before I came and I had the time of my life!". How?! What the **** did they do for an entire year when they can't talk to anyone in any depth - can't make a connection with anyone, just a sea of acquaintances?
i really wanted to go to the Uni of Vienna for my year abroad but got an email a few days ago saying my degree scheme only allowed the following unis :frown:

ESC Rennes

University of Reutlingen, Germany

Corvinus University of Budapest

The Hague

University of Ostersund

University of Orebro

University of Southern Denmark, Sonderborg

i still wana go abroad though but not quite sure where to go now, out of these i may go for ESC Rennes since i know or did know a bit of French and maybe i could get half fluent if i studied there for a year, anyone been to these unis/countries or know anything about them, any info would be much appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by eugenius 8
i really wanted to go to the Uni of Vienna for my year abroad but got an email a few days ago saying my degree scheme only allowed the following unis :frown:

ESC Rennes

University of Reutlingen, Germany

Corvinus University of Budapest

The Hague

University of Ostersund

University of Orebro

University of Southern Denmark, Sonderborg

i still wana go abroad though but not quite sure where to go now, out of these i may go for ESC Rennes since i know or did know a bit of French and maybe i could get half fluent if i studied there for a year, anyone been to these unis/countries or know anything about them, any info would be much appreciated, thanks :smile:

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend University of Southern Denmark. I have heard good things about it, but the city it's in is really not that interesting. I would pick Rennes :smile:
Original post by CPH<3
Hmm, I wouldn't recommend University of Southern Denmark. I have heard good things about it, but the city it's in is really not that interesting. I would pick Rennes :smile:

thanks, did a bit of research, went for Rennes in the end :smile:
Reply 170
Anyone know much about Italy? If I don't get a job abroad my options are Universita degli studi di Bologna/Genova/Roma or Torino. The only one I'm pretty much certain I don't want to go to is Rome, because of how insanely busy and expensive it would be. Wherever I'll end up I'm sure I'll be pretty chuffed though :smile:
Reply 171
I got a place at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for study abroad (I'm doing Civil Engineering). Has anyone been to the university? What is it like and what is the area like?
Original post by conway!
Anyone know much about Italy? If I don't get a job abroad my options are Universita degli studi di Bologna/Genova/Roma or Torino. The only one I'm pretty much certain I don't want to go to is Rome, because of how insanely busy and expensive it would be. Wherever I'll end up I'm sure I'll be pretty chuffed though :smile:

Bologna is beyond awesome, I lived there for a year, and it's absolutely the best place to be a student. There are lots of really good, really cheap, eating, drinking, and going out options, and with 100,000+ students there are always fun people to meet.

I don't know what you're studying, but UniBo also apparently has a really good reputation for European Studies and polisci, which I never even knew until I came to France.

There are also a ton of American study abroad programs that are based in Bologna (notably Johns Hopkins SAIS), so there are plenty of English speakers as well.
Reply 173
Original post by KateParleTrop
Bologna is beyond awesome, I lived there for a year, and it's absolutely the best place to be a student. There are lots of really good, really cheap, eating, drinking, and going out options, and with 100,000+ students there are always fun people to meet.

I don't know what you're studying, but UniBo also apparently has a really good reputation for European Studies and polisci, which I never even knew until I came to France.

There are also a ton of American study abroad programs that are based in Bologna (notably Johns Hopkins SAIS), so there are plenty of English speakers as well.

I had a good look about Bologna and it really does look amazing. If I get an assistantship I have no choice where I'm going but if I'm doing Erasmus, Bologna looks so brilliant :smile: Thanks!
Reply 174
Can't believe I never saw this thread before.

I'm in Singapore for the year and loving every moment...think I might be torn about going back to my home university next year...:eek:
Original post by samir12
I got a place at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for study abroad (I'm doing Civil Engineering). Has anyone been to the university? What is it like and what is the area like?

Hi Samir. You may wish to PM WelshLily - she is currently doing a year abroad at that University I think! She gave me some advice as I'm going next year. Hope this helps.
Reply 176
Original post by georgegabriel
Hi Samir. You may wish to PM WelshLily - she is currently doing a year abroad at that University I think! She gave me some advice as I'm going next year. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I just PM'd her
Reply 177
hiiiiiiiiii would u help pe to know about application of your university?
Hi everyone,

Does anybody know anything about these unis?

Madrid
Leiden (Netherlands)
Leuven (Belgium)

:smile:
So I'm halfway through my year abroad. 6 months down, 5 left to go.

I made the grave mistake of coming back home for two weeks. I have had so much fun the last two weeks being with my friends and family, going to see all my favourite bands play, celebrating St Patricks, going clubbing and dancing to all my favourite music, taking spectacular strolls across the countryside, visiting London.

I gotta go back abroad to finish the second semester on Monday. I really don't want to go back. The prospect of another 5 months stuck alone abroad feels like I'm looking at a prison sentence or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending