The Student Room Group

Dental therapy and hygiene interviews 2012 Scottish universities

Hi, thought I would start a thread specifically for those attending dental hygiene and therapy course interviews in Scottish universities.

I have interview for uhi in couple o weeks. Anyone else? Anyone attended interview and can offer some advice re questions, format, etc. ? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey yeah i have applied for oral health sciences at dundee, have an interview with them on 9th feb. where have u heard back from ??
Reply 2
Original post by kassy_s
hey yeah i have applied for oral health sciences at dundee, have an interview with them on 9th feb. where have u heard back from ??

Just applied to uhi, Dumfries campus, heard back last week. Interview 15th feb. solo nervous. Well good luck at Dundee. Trying to find anyone who has experienced interviews at uhi, Dundee and Glasgow to give us a wee insight as to what to expect. :smile:
Reply 3
That should be sooo nervous, stupid iPad. X
Reply 4
Don't be nervous!
UHI are lovely at giving interviews, they just ask you about yourself and why you want to do the course!
I study in Dumfries and am in my second year..

If you have any questions, ask away!!!

x :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Emilie**
Don't be nervous!
UHI are lovely at giving interviews, they just ask you about yourself and why you want to do the course!
I study in Dumfries and am in my second year..

If you have any questions, ask away!!!

x :smile:

Are you enjoying the course? Tougher than expected? How much time do you spend in class , placements and study time in an average week in first year? We're there a lot of people at your interviews? :confused::confused: sorry questions questions. :smile:
Reply 6
Yea, the course is good, you learn a lot very quickly!
It's definitely tougher than other uni courses.. but if you do the work in the time set the work load isn't too bad..
In your first year.. most days are half days. But its never the same each week.. in first year you start seeing your own patients half a day a week from December..then it increases.. its not really classed as placement as its all within the dental center..
In 2nd year we now have 2 and a half days a week of patients.

I went to the last interviews, so I didn't really meet many people being interviewed. But when I had my interview there were 2 tutors there.
Reply 7
Original post by Emilie**
Yea, the course is good, you learn a lot very quickly!
It's definitely tougher than other uni courses.. but if you do the work in the time set the work load isn't too bad..
In your first year.. most days are half days. But its never the same each week.. in first year you start seeing your own patients half a day a week from December..then it increases.. its not really classed as placement as its all within the dental center..
In 2nd year we now have 2 and a half days a week of patients.

I went to the last interviews, so I didn't really meet many people being interviewed. But when I had my interview there were 2 tutors there.

Thanks. That's really helpful.So excited now.. Sounds very like midwifery course(I'm a midwife) full on with theory and anatomy first few weeks then out to wards and delivering babies by October! Take it half days in class and rest of time classed as study time? Curious as to what library you use? One up at the College or hospital undergrad one? Hope I get in now.. :smile: Still nervous. Even worrying about the wee computer test even though I spend my life on them and have written countless essays and dissertations on them. Anyway, thanks. Any other info will be appreciated if it comes to mind...:smile:
Reply 8
Anyone else having interviews or been accepted at Scottish universities? My interview wed n very nervous..
Reply 9
Hi Janeybean I have an interview for UHI oral health science on the 20th of feb. I am so nervous. I was just wondering how yours went? have you any advice for me as this is my first ever interview! I am so nervous about the typing as well as I am so slow at typing.
Reply 10
Original post by ssxmmxggx
Hi Janeybean I have an interview for UHI oral health science on the 20th of feb. I am so nervous. I was just wondering how yours went? have you any advice for me as this is my first ever interview! I am so nervous about the typing as well as I am so slow at typing.

Yeah interview today at Dumfries. Was too nervous but shouldn't have been as they were all lovely. 3 people interviewing me. My brain went totally blank due to nerves. Don't know why, pretty standard questions, why dental hygiene, tell us about yourself role of hygienist and therapist. No horrible scary questions. 300 applied, 70 interviewed for total 4 places in Dumfries, 8 in Inverness and 2 in Stornaway . 14 places, not many.

So where is your interview? Where you hoping to study the course? Applied anywhere else? What's your background? Don't stress about the interview, they are lovely and the dental centre is a lovely place to work. Exciting.. Hope I get in now. Just be yourself and I'm sure you will be fine. You have already 'beaten' 230 applicants, just one more hurdle to go :smile:
Hi guys!
I've had interview for Dundee and Inverness so far, and I've got one for Glasgow on the 9th of March :smile:
How did everyone find their interviews?
And has anyone been to Glasgow yet? x
Reply 12
I have got an interview for dental hygeine and therapy, could anyone help me with what questions they might ask?
Thanks
Reply 13
which university have you applied to?
Reply 14
Original post by janeybean
Anyone else having interviews or been accepted at Scottish universities? My interview wed n very nervous..

offer from dundee found out today ! soooo happy anyone else applied for dundee oral health sciences?
Got an unsuccessful for Dundee today, guess it wasn't meant to be haha! Well done for everyone who got an offer though :smile: Has anybody heard back from UHI yet? x
Reply 16
Original post by kassy_s
offer from dundee found out today ! soooo happy anyone else applied for dundee oral health sciences?

Hello, I am going to apply to Dundee this year. Can I ask you what kind of qualifications you had at the time of applying to uni? Many thanks:smile: and good luck!!!
Reply 17
well at the time i had 2b and 2c but thats fine coz dundee grade requirements are low. but the interview is very key but after my resits im on 2a 1b 1c but i dropped my c. its a shame because i really really like the uni itself but for its the distance that was an issue! good luck with your application, please let me know if u need any other help !
Reply 18
Original post by kassy_s

Hey kassy:smile:
Ive accepted Dundee's offer too! Really excited now..can't wait to start!
Have you sorted out accommodation and stuff yet?

Will be seeing you in September! X
Reply 19
Original post by kassy_s

Hey kassy:smile:
Ive accepted Dundee's offer too! Really excited now..can't wait to start!
Have you sorted out accommodation and stuff yet?

Will be seeing you in September! X

Quick Reply

Latest