The Student Room Group

poll for most prestigious - Warwick, UCL or Bristol ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moiraclaire
Ahhh I'm aware it's not the sole thing.

But the best places to work often only bother going to careers fairs etc of the best unis ?
I do prefer UCL tbh :L

Careers fares aren't the only places to get jobs, and if you only go to those you're competing with loads of other people from your course.

You need to go out and contact companies yourself, do some research, what places are involved in things that interest you? What department/role interest you?

Find that out and then tailor your work experience towards that so you gain the skills that are needed for it.

Jobs and internships don't come to you, you need to go and find them. So UCL, being in London will give you an advantage in that as you are located exactly where you need to be to network and go and visit people, go for interviews etc.

So if you really do prefer UCL, go for them.
Ahhh I'm aware it's not the sole thing.

But the best places to work often only bother going to careers fairs etc of the best unis ?
I do prefer UCL tbh :L

Didn't think there'd be much in it, but obviously a first from Cambridge looks better than a first from Manchester Met' so wanted to know if employers make any distinction between candidates from those 3 universities.

They make no distinction from those three universities definitely even though it may seem like they do. the only distinction is internships,work exp,personality and attitude and a level grades.

UCL is a excellent choice i think you will really enjoy the london lifestyle. nothing like london personally so if i had to pick id pick UCL because it is in london and i love london!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Nightufury
ALL three of these Unis will give you the chance to get the best job if you get a 2.1 or first. Then its only YOU who can get the job not the uni. You have to decide which one you like. They are all good well respected universities. if you got a 2.1 from Warwick and someone else got a 2.1 from ucl you would not be at a disadvantage

This completely ignores the networking opportunities and other intangibles.
Warwick and UCL are both target universities, Bristol is NOT,
UCL's got the location, Warwick is very well-known for economics and WBS (warwick business school) has a good reputation in IB too.
Coventry is not exactly an exciting place to live in, though (:

So if your sole aim is to get into IB, and you prefer the London lifestyle, I'd say UCL would be perfect for you.
Reply 24
Lol lse by far
Reply 25
Original post by Timba
Lol lse by far

TOO LATE. I didn't apply, thank you for reminding me of how much I regret not even applying.
Reply 26
Original post by panda1093
Warwick and UCL are both target universities, Bristol is NOT,
UCL's got the location, Warwick is very well-known for economics and WBS (warwick business school) has a good reputation in IB too.
Coventry is not exactly an exciting place to live in, though (:

So if your sole aim is to get into IB, and you prefer the London lifestyle, I'd say UCL would be perfect for you.

Bristol is a lovely university. But yerh, everything points towards it not being target for IB.

Thanks :smile: not sure UCL is quite as well known for Econ :/
Maths is their big thing, and I would choose mainly maths options :/
Bristol is a lovely university. But yerh, everything points towards it not being target for IB.

I have applied to UCL too and I'm hoping to get an offer eheh

However, people who studied Econ or statistics at UCL secured places in IB,
I guess maths and econ or straight maths would still be well-respected by employers
Reply 28
Academically, I'd probably say they're on par. Jobs wise, I guess a lot will argue UCL is better due to its proximity to all huge firms... But I'd rather be at Warwick. I think :moon:

why do you not think Bristol is a target for IB?
Reply 30
Original post by jardine_199
why do you not think Bristol is a target for IB?

I don't really know ! I am pretty clueless!

Just because Econ is a smaller department at Bristol :/ no idea.
Reply 31
Original post by funkydee
UCL would be my personal preference!

on a side note: congrats on the Warwick offer, I got rejected yesterday :colondollar: looks like I'm definitely LSE bound

Hell, that's wicked! How do you stand it?

:biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Nightufury
They make no distinction from those three universities definitely even though it may seem like they do. the only distinction is internships,work exp,personality and attitude and a level grades.

UCL is a excellent choice i think you will really enjoy the london lifestyle. nothing like london personally so if i had to pick id pick UCL because it is in london and i love london!

really? only out of curiosity, are you a pre-university student?
Original post by bmqib

I wouldn't pay much attention to that user. After saying that UCL and Warwick are on the same level as Bristol, i ignored the rest of their post.

As you seem to be interested in A Levels counting, i would say that they play a tiny role in spring weeks and summer internships. I know a guy who has ABB (he's on here actually) for example who i'm sure would have had more interviews over the past 2 years if he had achieved AAA or higher. Once you get to the level of AAA-AAB etc, a lot more is placed on having work experience, being part of university sports, volunteer work and the like, than if you got an A* or an A in your chemistry A level (ie: maybe the difference between A*AA and AAA). At the end of the day though, you work as hard as you can through sixth form, and you get what you deserved, then it's how you use it. Make sure you go to a top 6 university (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, Warwick or UCL) and then get involved in lots of ECs, finance societies etc, apply for spring weeks, try and get experience etc and make the best out of whatever situation your A levels have put you in.

To the OP. You're getting a lot of replies from people who clearly didn't see that you posted in the IB&C forum. As you are interested in IB, then it would be suicide to choose Bristol over Warwick or UCL. Spring week figures from last year were something like: Bristol: 10, UCL: 45, Warwick: 60 or something like that. Of course, the difference between UCL and Warwick may be down to the fact that Warwick have accounting and finance and economics as courses, while UCL just has economics (of course these are big feeder courses into IB), or maybe the banks just like Warwick slightly more than UCL, although i believe that they're equal. My main point to you is that Bristol is only semi-targeted for IB, and therefore, UCL or Warwick, should be your choice and you should decide based on whether you want London or a campus.
(edited 12 years ago)

Don't know where you heard this. UCL probably has one of the top economics departments in the UK, up there with LSE and Oxford (although probably a little below both) (and only better than Cambridge for postgraduate). For maths UCL is pretty average (relatively) considering it's ranked very highly for most courses. Maths at Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and Bath are definitely better courses than maths at UCL.

How good the department is has little relevance to whether the banks target each of these universities though. Maths at UCL will get you into banking with less extra effort than maths at Bath for example.
Reply 35
Original post by Industrious Orca
Spring week figures from last year were something like: Bristol: 10, UCL: 45, Warwick: 60 or something like that.

Where did you get these figures from?
Original post by bmqib

Yeah dude A level grades count. if i have to similar applicants who i like then ill have to decide based on their academic performance. and yeah im applying 2012 got offers from,soas,soton,qm,surrey,oxford for law.

UCL is not quite well known for econ ??? Are you for real ?? UCL have the second best rated economics research centre in UK , slightly behind LSE , and yet some A level kid is lecturing rubbish on here , oh perhaps you are one of those ignorant 17-18 year old TSR applicants who think they know everything yet you know jerk . Do you even know how many economics graduates get into IB each year from UCL econ ? This uni that , this uni that bla bla bla ...yet you have never spoken to a single employer regarding the reputations of unis , or be at any top uni for even a visit but you lecture us about who is best for what . TSR never stops amaze me with nonsensical ideas posted here .
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Investment Banker
UCL is not quite well known for econ ??? Are you for real ?? UCL have the second best rated economics research centre in UK , slightly behind LSE , and yet some A level kid is lecturing rubbish on here , oh perhaps you are one of those ignorant 17-18 year old TSR applicants who think they know everything yet you know jerk . Do you even know how many economics graduates get into IB each year from UCL econ ? This uni that , this uni that bla bla bla ...yet you have never spoken to a single employer regarding the reputations of unis , or be at any top uni for even a visit but you lecture us about who is best for what . TSR never stops amaze me with nonsensical ideas posted here .

I think all he meant is that it might not be as well known as Warwick.
Reply 39
Original post by Investment Banker

what I said started with the words 'not sure'. I could have worded it to seem more like a question which is what I meant it to be, sorry.

One of the many occasions when tone of speech is lost in typing.

Original post by member910132
I think all he meant is that it might not be as well known as Warwick.

she :smile:

Yerh I meant is it as well known as LSE & Warwick.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending