The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I wrote a huge review of the accomodations I think last year. I'll see if I can dig it out.

In summary, pick Dawson.
Original post by digitalis
Dawson, this isn't really a contest.

:smile:yeah thats what I am thinking.....

Original post by andyeverest
Yeh I've just been to the post offer open day 2 days ago .... i was hoping they would go into depth on accommodation, but they didn't! it was the one thing they didn't really talk in detail about! i was hoping we would get a tour around one of the accommodation buildings but we didn't.

I don't know which i prefer...Mile end looks the best BUT apparently not many Medicine students live there as most live in Dawson or Floyer! and i don't know how i feel about that so id probably choose Dawsonm or Floyer!

Dawson looks Nicer and in a nicer area however is at least a 25-30min walk from lectures in the first year...whilst being at floyer means i could go to lectures in pyjamas haha

Seems everywhere has its good points but everywhere also has its bad points!!

lol... I know what you mean, being able to crawl out of bed straight to lectures has its plus points, but nicer venue might just win!
:excited:
Reply 5802
Dawson, this isn't really a contest.

Original post by RollerBall
I wrote a huge review of the accomodations I think last year. I'll see if I can dig it out.

In summary, pick Dawson.

I heard Dawson is far from lectures at the open day, about a 40 min walk. What time does lectures start for first years?
He told me that Pooley house is the best albeit expensive, but I'm wondering if there are any medics at Pooley house or is it mainly QM students, don't want to miss out on the whole Barts student experience.
Original post by rohitbd
I heard Dawson is far from lectures at the open day, about a 40 min walk. What time does lectures start for first years?
He told me that Pooley house is the best albeit expensive, but I'm wondering if there are any medics at Pooley house or is it mainly QM students, don't want to miss out on the whole Barts student experience.

10 minute tube ride from Barbican to whitechapel (2 minute walk either side). Lectures are generally 9am starts.

Was he a QM or BL guy?
Reply 5804
10 minute tube ride from Barbican to whitechapel (2 minute walk either side). Lectures are generally 9am starts.

Was he a QM or BL guy?

I think he was at barts, and does everyone at dawson just take the tube, plus how much does it cost. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by rohitbd
I think he was at barts, and does everyone at dawson just take the tube, plus how much does it cost. Thanks for the help :smile:

Yeah everyone tubes and the tube&bus pass is £20 more than the bus only one a month iirc.
Original post by rohitbd

My advice does not change, take Dawson.
Reply 5807
Yeah everyone tubes and the tube&bus pass is £20 more than the bus only one a month iirc.

My advice does not change, take Dawson.

Thanks, and how much does it cost for the tube, about £90ish a month or more?
Well I was gonna go for Floyer but Dawson looks really nice too :smile:
Original post by rohitbd

Dawson is a 35 minute walk, lectures start at 9am on monday, 11am on tuesday, wednesday and friday, thursday varies depending if you have MedSoc or not. Also half the year has PBL at 9am on tuesday and friday, whilst the others have it at 3pm.

Mile End is rubbish, full of quimmers. Have a mate at Mile End and he's constantly hanging out here at Dawson for the banter etc.

Dawson's the best, and 35mins is not far to get to lectures
I called barts up to find out whether I would be able to get accommodation as I live within the M25, but they said it would be highly unlikely.
I was wondering if any current students who are in student accommodation live within the M25?
Original post by could.be.lupus
I called barts up to find out whether I would be able to get accommodation as I live within the M25, but they said it would be highly unlikely.
I was wondering if any current students who are in student accommodation live within the M25?

Yeah, one of my neighbours lives within the M25.

Just don't count on getting accommodation :erm:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Yeah, one of my neighbours lives within the M25.

Just don't count on getting accommodation :erm:

oh
:colonhash:
Is it worth applying for the intercollegiate halls just in case I don't get accommodation at barts? Although I live within the M25, it takes around 1.5 hours to reach whitechapel, so I would prefer to live in London.

Reply 5814
Dawson is a 35 minute walk, lectures start at 9am on monday, 11am on tuesday, wednesday and friday, thursday varies depending if you have MedSoc or not. Also half the year has PBL at 9am on tuesday and friday, whilst the others have it at 3pm.

Mile End is rubbish, full of quimmers. Have a mate at Mile End and he's constantly hanging out here at Dawson for the banter etc.

Thanks and PRSOM, I don't really mind the 35min walk/tube as long as there are people to do it with and I'm not alone. :smile:
Original post by rohitbd
Thanks and PRSOM, I don't really mind the 35min walk/tube as long as there are people to do it with and I'm not alone. :smile:

You're a big boy, you'll be OK...
Reply 5816

Have you found that social life varies from Floyer house to Dawson? I am probably going to apply for one of these and just wanted to know if there are many major differences of student life/type of people at one hall compared to the other in your opinion apart from the quality of the building itself? Cheres :smile:
Original post by Shaman
Have you found that social life varies from Floyer house to Dawson? I am probably going to apply for one of these and just wanted to know if there are many major differences of student life/type of people at one hall compared to the other in your opinion apart from the quality of the building itself? Cheres :smile:

How would I know?

Noone lives at both so can't compare (well no freshers live at both)
Dawson social life is great, can't complain. Love my flatmates and people on other floors too.

Don't really know what goes on at Floyer.. so it can't be as good since there are no epic stories about it
Original post by Shaman

Dawson and Floyer both have clinical students and a few postgrads as well. Difference is that in Dawson, the clinical students (finalists) are in a separate wing.

Still doesn't stop a few knobs having a freakin' house party at 5AM the week before finals :angry:
Original post by Shaman

In terms of freshers, Floyer seems to be incredibly close knit. They all go out things together as an entire group of freshers, rather than many groups ala Dawson. Which is nice I suppose.

On the other hand, I would always pick Dawson. Amazing group of people and by far the best area of any medical school halls that I've heard of.

The green outside is amazing to have in central London! I have never regretted picking Dawson. When I was a pre-fresher I was really confused, as they don't show you Dawson at the open days and I was very close to picking Mile End, but as PSQ says, so many people regret not picking Dawson.

Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest