Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laughed at in public

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014

Hey guys,

Basically I was walking through town today, minding my own, after picking up some things from Sainsbury's. Out of nowhere some kid comes up from behind me and shoves a plastic bag on my head, shouts something then runs off.

I took the bag off my head and saw him run off, then looked around and saw everyone on the street laughing at me. I had a wobbly lower lip but kept on walking, and put the bag in the bin.

Nothing majorly bad, just being laughed at in public was a major self-esteem downer. Feel pretty crap, not gonna lie
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to remember that they weren't laughing at you, but the situation. That kid could have put the bag on anyone's head and everyone would have laughed, you were just unlucky, don't over think it.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will you ever see them again?

Embarrassing things happen, you'll get over it.

(Original post by salty_candy)
    I think you have to remember that they weren't laughing at you, but the situation. That kid could have put the bag on anyone's head and everyone would have laughed, you were just unlucky, don't over think it.
    True - shadenfreude is most common among the more insecure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    This. OP, it could've been anyone. They weren't deliberately targeting you - the fact they came up behind you proves this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound funny at all, must have been a strange street of people.

(Original post by SillyRodent)
    That's what I thought!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys,

Basically I was walking through town today, minding my own, after picking up some things from Sainsbury's. Out of nowhere some kid comes up from behind me and shoves a plastic bag on my head, shouts something then runs off.

I took the bag off my head and saw him run off, then looked around and saw everyone on the street laughing at me. I had a wobbly lower lip but kept on walking, and put the bag in the bin.

Nothing majorly bad, just being laughed at in public was a major self-esteem downer. Feel pretty crap, not gonna lie
    Just a bunch of idiots, ignore them :yep:

(Original post by mevidek)
    Just a bunch of idiots, ignore them :yep:
    Thanks dude
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    This.
    OP, what weird/poor part of the world were you walking through for such a thing to happen?

(Original post by Jimbo1234)
    This.
    OP, what weird/poor part of the world were you walking through for such a thing to happen?
    Edinburgh.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This could happen to anyone I guess, its hard I know but just try your best to forget about it. I've been in some pretty embarrassing moments at times, its horrible at the time but when you go home and actually think about it you realize it wasn't your fault and they were just being immature and all round just conforming to their peers. Because, really in another situation they possibly wouldn't find it funny, especially if they hung out with other people. I'm sure you are a great person and they just picked on the first person they could see, nothing to do with you as a person. *hugs* sorry for the essay

(Original post by VaticanCameos)
    This could happen to anyone I guess, its hard I know but just try your best to forget about it. I've been in some pretty embarrassing moments at times, its horrible at the time but when you go home and actually think about it you realize it wasn't your fault and they were just being immature and all round just conforming to their peers. Because, really in another situation they possibly wouldn't find it funny, especially if they hung out with other people. I'm sure you are a great person and they just picked on the first person they could see, nothing to do with you as a person. *hugs* sorry for the essay
    Thanks. If I had remaining rep points I'd give you a +1.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh.
    Ooh.

/thread
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If I had remaining rep points I'd give you a +1.
    haha no probs! hope you feel much better soon.

(Original post by Tudball)
    Ooh.

/thread
    It's the home of the Scottish stuck-up and insecure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh.
    I'm going there next week, hopefully this doesn't happen to me

But I agree with the others, don't over think it, the people who laughed at you would have laughed had it happened to anyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone said, they weren't laughing at you but how surreal the situation was. Also usually laughter is used as an emotional release and a sudden change in emotion i.e. when they intitially saw what was happening they probably thought you were being attacked then suddenly they realised it was a stupid prank. So it's almost like a sigh of relief.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you not retaliate?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, we wen't to visit our family in scarborough, we were walking through town, split off to where we wanted to go, I was with my Aunt who is about 55, saw some people around my age, the scummy type, on the corner, sketty ho's and skinhead retards all centered around a pathetic scooter in their pathetic plastic sport clothes looking about as sharp as a greasy hamburger, and I'm there in my clothes which are [unforunately?] all label brands, knew they would say somthing, laugh, or stare, they think she's my mum and the leader obv mimic' a womans voice "I'll buy you anything darling", laughing ensues.

I normally don't care about that sort of stuff, but man, its one of those situtations, where I wish I have some sort of blunt weapon of me, since there are 5 or 6, like a baseball bat, could whip it out of a backpack or something, run up to the main one, hit him round the face as hard as possible, hopefully shattering their cheeck and jaw bones, then proceed to beat their face so it caves in on itself, then swing wildly at the other in a fit of rage, breathing heavily, as they run off crying or calling for help as I've bludgened their friend to death and you can't even recognise his mangled face anymore etc etc

being mentally unhinged, psychosis and all that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.