Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Manchester vs Warwick vs York for CS

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I have an offer from Imperial for CS and can't decide about my insurance.

From the research I've done, it seems that York is the worst academically. Not that it's bad, just in comparison.

And I prefer Warwick over Manchester because I prefer a smaller city. But the city is less important than the course quality.

So, guys, what can you tell me about the courses of these unis?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what research you've done but York probably has the best course. It's very hard to differentiate the 3 based on course quality though, probably better to look at the actual course content. York is also a small city and AAB gives a very nice bit of leeway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The city of Manchester is fantastic Lived here my whole life
    If you want a smaller city though then Manchester probably wouldn't work for you!
    Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If York really is the best out of these, my ******* is solved. I totally prefer a town as small as possible.

Unless... any one disagrees about York's course?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arghaton)
    If York really is the best out of these, my ******* is solved. I totally prefer a town as small as possible.

Unless... any one disagrees about York's course?
    If you don't like hardware then don't go to York. If you think you might be interested in finance/banking in the future go to Warwick. I think that's all.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^What tooosh said.

Rep wise: Warwick is a targeted University in terms of employers (seen as part of the top 6). Not too sure about the others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll go with Warwick then
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    York is (or was) second only to Cambridge for CS.

Warwick makes a better impression.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Warwick wins in terms of graduate prospects, even if the York course is slightly better. It seems that way anyway
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arghaton)
    Warwick wins in terms of graduate prospects, even if the York course is slightly better. It seems that way anyway
    Only because it's a target uni for IB. Otherwise prospects are very similar.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Only because it's a target uni for IB. Otherwise prospects are very similar.
    Err no not strictly true.

Warwick has a 100% graduate-job rate, I'm sure not all go into IB.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Err no not strictly true.

Warwick has a 100% graduate-job rate, I'm sure not all go into IB.
    You can't really infer too much from stats like that. My point is for most jobs employers wouldn't discriminate between CS from York or Warwick.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    You can't really infer too much from stats like that. My point is for most jobs employers wouldn't discriminate between CS from York or Warwick.
    You can't say that for sure.

Different employers have different policies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    York has quite a strong CS department, its not great in the overall league tables but the CS is quite good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    York is top 10 in the league tables, winner of University of the Year twice, now in the Russell Group and the CS department is excellent. The city itself is lovely and the campus is green and expansive. What's not to love?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is an excellent University for Computer Science. I can't vouch for the others, but no doubt they will be great too. I love my course, and I love my department. Employers bend over backwards for us. There is also a LOT of history being C.S. in Manchester. I do M.Eng Software Engineering, at the University of Manchester. The A-Level requirements are A*AA including Maths. The standard CS course is AAB with maths. I can also say that the city of Manchester is definetely, by far, the best of the 3, hands down. Good luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 25, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.